ISD Name - Public Vote

ISD Names  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like the next Imperial Star Destroyer to be called?

• Sentinel
    • Reclaimer
    • Decimation
    • Apollyon
    • Yalumba

This poll is closed to new votes

Hello again Imperial Gamers.

The time has arrived for you to vote for the name of our next Imperial Star Destroyer.
Thank you to everyone who suggested a name, despite some of the interesting suggestions, I appreciate the input from each of you. With the assistance of the Leadership Team, 5 names have been selected from the list of suggestions in an effort to reduce the spread of votes and instead unify them to a select number of names. 

The names are as follows:

• Sentinel
  • Reclaimer
  • Decimation
  • Apollyon
  • Yalumba

Using the poll at the top of this post, please vote for your most desired ISD name. Come 8.00pm Thursday (19/05/2022), the winning suggestion will in turn become the newest ISD of which you will occupy (and to join the Imperial Gaming server). Vote wisely!

Remember, 25,000 credits will be awarded to the individual who suggested the winning name. 

Good luck to those whos suggestions made it through. Happy Voting!

Edit: A couple of names have been swapped out due to a lack of votes. This is in turn is allowing for 3 new names to be included in the vote before the cut off. If you're against the currently winnning options, now is you final opportunity to make your vote count and potentially change the outcome!

• Pensive 2
  • Downvote 7

Apollyon is baaaad dude. But if it does get voted in (unfortunately due to coercion and bribery it seems), the equivalent Hebrew term Abaddon should be used instead. It's just better.

I'll give you 20k if you successfully vote for Omniscient though...

• Upvote 1

Just going to comment on the top two:

Apollyon is shite, the name literally means "The Destroyer" in the Greek definition. I think it's obvious why naming the ISD "Imperial Star Destroyer: The Destroyer" is a horrible idea with nothing to the theme.

Sentinel is somehow worse because we already use the term for the Imperial Landing Craft. Why would we name the ISD after it? It'd be like calling an ISD "Lambda". That's without mentioning how basic the name sounds - it has no flavour.

Omniscient and Prosperitas are the ones that make the most sense for an ISD name but they both don't have that ring to it. Aurora is alright but also very basic.

Spoiler

In my opinion, Leviathan would work wonders for the name.

It has the definitions of "a sea monster" and "a thing that is very large or powerful", both extremely fitting if we see the Imperial Star Destroyer as the monstrous powerhouse of a vessel as we know it as.

The name also allows us to build an actual thematic with the crew. Squadrons could be named after mythological sea creatures such as the Kraken, Scylla or Tiamat. Characters build around the Leviathan could have a nautical theme to their background and stories could be told about how the Leviathan would plunge into the unknown regions of the black waves of space.

The only slight issue is that the Leviathan is already a lore-established Imperial II-class Star Destroyer. But that issue is easily remedied because it has literally no lore behind it - allowing us to build our own.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Blazebeard said:

Apollyon is shite, the name literally means "The Destroyer" in the Greek definition.

I feel that's a tad misleading. That may be (close to) the literal translation of the word, but it's referring to the mythological entity, in much the same way that Blazebeard is used to refer to yourself, and not to particularly combustible facial hair.

Conceptually, it's not substantively different to naming it "Shiva" or "Perses". Now, certainly there's arguments to be made regarding the value of those particular themes, but there is certainly more to it than the literal translation of the word.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Zach said:

I feel that's a tad misleading. That may be (close to) the literal translation of the word, but it's referring to the mythological entity, in much the same way that Blazebeard is used to refer to yourself, and not to particularly combustible facial hair.

Conceptually, it's not substantively different to naming it "Shiva" or "Perses". Now, certainly there's arguments to be made regarding the value of those particular themes, but there is certainly more to it than the literal translation of the word.

yes

Edited by lynk

1 hour ago, Blazebeard said:

Sentinel is somehow worse because we already use the term for the Imperial Landing Craft. Why would we name the ISD after it? It'd be like calling an ISD "Lambda". That's without mentioning how basic the name sounds - it has no flavour.

Hide contents

In my opinion, Leviathan would work wonders for the name.

It has the definitions of "a sea monster" and "a thing that is very large or powerful", both extremely fitting if we see the Imperial Star Destroyer as the monstrous powerhouse of a vessel as we know it as.

The name also allows us to build an actual thematic with the crew. Squadrons could be named after mythological sea creatures such as the Kraken, Scylla or Tiamat. Characters build around the Leviathan could have a nautical theme to their background and stories could be told about how the Leviathan would plunge into the unknown regions of the black waves of space.

The only slight issue is that the Leviathan is already a lore-established Imperial II-class Star Destroyer. But that issue is easily remedied because it has literally no lore behind it - allowing us to build our own.

Even though it is somewhat being used we can still call it the ISD Sentinel for its name because it wouldn't be referred to as The Sentinel-class Shuttle which we call it by in-game and you have linked as for its product line however, we are already are using the name Leviathan in ISC as an elite sub squadron that can fly certain ships that aren't usually allowed for most other pilots within the regiment apart from myself. As for its name if you would name it as such it could somewhat be a problem in comms for miscommunication between the Navy referring to the squadron or the ISD which could be annoying for them down the line. 

• Upvote 1

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iHfHZjJN3ZXS06WPVeSOeWX82C1i4IS5FQcbf6YML-4/edit?usp=sharing

I have a whole list of names which are mostly better than all of these. Plus this decision should be navys, not put to a sever vote. The last few names where decided by non-navy managment and they where doooog shit

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Angus said:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iHfHZjJN3ZXS06WPVeSOeWX82C1i4IS5FQcbf6YML-4/edit?usp=sharing

I have a whole list of names which are mostly better than all of these. Plus this decision should be navys, not put to a sever vote. The last few names where decided by non-navy managment and they where doooog shit

One moment, stealing this.

jay-versace-typing.gif

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Angus said:

ISD Charybdis sounds cool

7 hours ago, Angus said:

I am still waiting for an isd to be named the Absolution or Ascendency.

Will pay 100k to each person that goes against Vanilla's wishes and votes for Sentinel.

Or I will instead pay you 150k if you poggers react to this comment as a vote for Absolution and same thing with a like react to Ascendency.

Everyone should be reasonable about this in hopes that a terrible name like Apollyon never wins.

• Like 1
  • Poggers 5

On 5/18/2022 at 2:34 AM, Vanilla said:

I WILL DONATE 10k TO EVERYONE WHO VOTES APOLLYON

Wheres my 10k

18 hours ago, SCHEFF said:

One moment, stealing this.

jay-versace-typing.gif

So when the ISD is inevitable named something dramatically stupid, you wanna just make a whole host of Event ISDs that we'll use with cool names instead of the shit name we'll get?

48 minutes ago, Mauler said:

So when the ISD is inevitable named something dramatically stupid, you wanna just make a whole host of Event ISDs that we'll use with cool names instead of the shit name we'll get?

Indeed.