What don't we like about rotation maps?

Rotation Maps  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like rotation maps

• Yes
    • No

For years now, there has been a trend where rotation maps lead to lower server pop. Whether it's the mindset of "eww rotation map, im not getting on today" or "this map is too laggy" we somehow always seem to end back on the ISD. Once on the ISD we face the issue of repetition. We've used the map for the past 5 years now, which leads players to complain that every conceivable event and rp scenario has already been done. This cycle has been going on for as long as I can remember so in hopes of gaining a more nuanced insight on this issue, I pose to you these questions.

Why don’t you like rotation maps?
Why don’t you like the ISD?

Genuine expansive maps like titan base and Tatooine are genuinely fun, and the only problem that I have seen players have during these maps where the events, the timing of them and the general things to do on rotation. It takes a while for an event to actually reach the base itself, with roleplay being done outside in the dunes, or on rock faces, where troopers are generally NOT allowed to go, with risk of arrest. 

I myself loved titan base because of how big it was, sporting several other smaller bases, where I could make a Sith Roleplay base featuring sith alchemy and augmentation, which was surprisingly used a couple times with the help of the servers playerbase. Players need something to do on maps, and having to wait a long time for an event to actually reach them is mind numbing. Some sort of stimulation during these rotation maps are essential, game nights, some sort of sports that staff can feature, events that revolve around the base, stuff like that.

Some regiments suffer more than others on rotation, and some don't change at all, e.g. ISC. Those are just my thoughts.

I am small brain man so I keep this short, some rotation maps just either feel not completed/finished usually when on these it's kinda feels very unorganised on what people are meant to be doing in these large spaces.  Personally I just don't like when we go to maps that we are trapped in a base and we can't interact with civilians and mess around with that. Also, usually for core navy there isn't really anything for them to do most of the time. 

Reasons why I hate the ISD it's literally a hallway simulator and when we ain't on the ship were on an undership that causes the server to lag but least it makes the enviroment different then being in gray hallways all the time. 

Spoiler

I'm very small brain if this doesn't make any sense just saying

45 minutes ago, Higashi said:

Some regiments suffer more than others on rotation, and some don't change at all, e.g. ISC. Those are just my thoughts.

ISC does change since the people in the actually tank troopers can actually do what they are meant to do and it's rare for them to be using land vehicles at all whilst on the ISD map. 

• Agree 1

I don't really have any major complaints but I thought I'd just say

Rotation Maps:

Rotation maps might be annoying to relearn when we might only be there for a day or 2.

Logistic Mission - I don't recall seeing any on rotation maps (please correct me if im wrong on this), if there are logistic missions they might be annoying for people to know where all they go, would be annoying for devs to make logistic missions for every rotation map used. Pretty much only way to quickly get money aside from having a 100% win ratio when gambling.

Lag - Might be an issue with a lot of people playing. Main complaint I hear so i won't drag on about it.

ISD:

The ISD does get boring being on it 5-7 days a week. Pretty much my only complaint

The ISD, everyone seems to know and is familiar with it which could make people fine with people playing the same map over and over (or just my case).

Nothing else from me. <3

• Upvote 1

I'm going to keep this short and sweet, the thing that makes the ISD such a great map is because it is quite small, it has large areas where you can do things but you do not need to move through these areas to get somewhere. This means the delay between RP or shooty shoot is quite low. While on other maps such as titan base, often the fighting or rp is quite a distance from where most of the players are or where they spawn. This increased delay makes things quite boring.

The second thing is that it is quite simple. It is small so it only takes you maybe an hour to get a good feel of the map. While other maps like naboo, titan base, Death Star, anaxes and a few others are almost maze like, not only in their base layout by the area around it aswell.  This makes getting place to place quite confusing which increases the delay between doing things>boring.

The ideal map in my opinion is tatooine which is simple enough for most players to understand what is going on, it has some great dropship locations to have events on. The town is quite small causing the RP to be concetrated in a small area while there is also the outside area allowing speeders, hostile civs, gangs, scouts, etc. To do their thing. However any other map which has a low amount of lag, is smallish and is quite simple will also work. However it is important not to discount the impact the enviroment also has. its hard to rp as a storm trooper in star wars if you are in a setting that is dull or not star wars like. The environment should create opportunity for RP to develop without EM intervention. 

Edit: This is the conclusion I have reached talking to people on the server over a few years, the complains strech from long delays getting back to the action, getting lost, too much lag or there is nothing to do. The only map I haven't heard this things on is Tatooine which was always having rouge bounty hunters, hostage situations in the palace, tuskan raiders, jawas stealing ISC stuff and hiding them in the sand crawler, ect.  The enviroment allowed people to have fun by themselves. Only draw back was event maps are quite laggy and at low server pops no rp happens.

Edited by Vile
  • Disagree 2
  • Upvote 1

I hate the ISD map with a passion. It is the most boring and stifling map when it comes to non-navy based events but on the flip side it's somewhat optimised.

Having been in the team and having helped set up a lot of rotation maps, it almost always comes down to there not being properly coordinated RP by higher ups. RP on rotations when it works is way more engaging than anything onship, but there are fundamental issues with how many people in leadership positions (in game) approach things. I personally can also speak that event quality on rotations tends to be a bit more boring, because historically EM's have a tendency to only do either base attacks  or use a few limited locations (E.G Lothal and people only doing City attacks). What Rotation lack is coordinated RP that can be properly operated. I've tried to combat rotations not being properly utilised by people before by running mini NPC missions for regiments, but its currently impossible to do that for a large scale on the server.

I think we need to encourage more civ RP, as even though it can devolve into RDM on occasion, it's also been some of the best RP i've seen on the server when it works. 

When it comes to performance, I think we also just have an issue with new maps tending to not be greatly optimised for our server. Abafar was a really fun map to play on, sans the fact for the day we were on it for rotation before we removed it from the pool, I crashed 6 times in 4 hours. Similarly, even though I really loved it rp_batuu was also paused because it had a bug where it'd crash the server if an lfs ship hit water. These maps are diverse, and really good, but for whatever reason don't function on our server. 

In all, we need more rotations. People just need to do better because rotations are always better.

Edited by yeff
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Upvote 5

No other map is as conveniently built as the ISD, where everything is rather close and around the corner and nicely built.

Maps like Anaxes are so huge but anaxes is a kinda ok....

Maps like Lothal consider the inside but some spaces become squashed.

Maps like Mithraw do to much, are messy, squashed, have areas where random stairs appear, go in circles.

Edited by Kamelieon
12 hours ago, yeff said:

I hate the ISD map with a passion. It is the most boring and stifling map when it comes to non-navy based events but on the flip side it's somewhat optimised.

Having been in the team and having helped set up a lot of rotation maps, it almost always comes down to there not being properly coordinated RP by higher ups. RP on rotations when it works is way more engaging than anything onship, but there are fundamental issues with how many people in leadership positions (in game) approach things. I personally can also speak that event quality on rotations tends to be a bit more boring, because historically EM's have a tendency to only do either base attacks  or use a few limited locations (E.G Lothal and people only doing City attacks). What Rotation lack is coordinated RP that can be properly operated. I've tried to combat rotations not being properly utilised by people before by running mini NPC missions for regiments, but its currently impossible to do that for a large scale on the server.

I think we need to encourage more civ RP, as even though it can devolve into RDM on occasion, it's also been some of the best RP i've seen on the server when it works. 

When it comes to performance, I think we also just have an issue with new maps tending to not be greatly optimised for our server. Abafar was a really fun map to play on, sans the fact for the day we were on it for rotation before we removed it from the pool, I crashed 6 times in 4 hours. Similarly, even though I really loved it rp_batuu was also paused because it had a bug where it'd crash the server if an lfs ship hit water. These maps are diverse, and really good, but for whatever reason don't function on our server. 

In all, we need more rotations. People just need to do better because rotations are always better.

agreed

Pros

• Some maps are optimized and don't run like shit.
  • some are genuinely interesting to play on. 
  • Some Lots of rp options for regiments and Civ rp. 

Cons

• Some Maps run like shit 
  • some are bland
  • Limited rp options for civs and Imperial 
  • the events aren't fun sometimes, usually due to Lack of players online or lack of diverse events.

just some thoughts

I like all hte rotations maps but i don't really like the ISD map as it our main map we are always on but it will be cool if we could has a custom ISD map were it can benefit everyone on the server

I enjoy the rotation maps as it gives the chance for troopers to interact with civilians, however... the events for them are repetitive. Base attacks (which I enjoy) are usually the only events that take place. Ryloth has other destinations to travel to with the swamp, lava and snow planets. When we went recently, we had 1 at the base and another at the snow planet and... that's it... Maybe I sound like an asshole but, is it possible to get more events to take place on other planets? I think it would be extremely fun to travel to the lava planet and take down a drug syndicate there, "they are selling ashes to people and they are dying because they think its spices or other hallucinations." Then we take them down and a new group appears the next day and we have to take them down as well.  

Being a civilian is incredibly fun as it provides the opportunity to give troopers drugs or illegal equipment to create rp scenario's. When the security regiments come and investigate the civilians, it allows them to identify who it was and question them who was the supplier and where it was imported from. It also allows troopers to become drunk or sick from the tavern where the bartender is placing spices into peoples' drinks. 

I enjoy the ISD alot, it allows people to quickly move through the ISD to clear out enemy forces. But, my most frustrating pet peeve about the ISD map is that god damn tramlines... people don't even use the tram itself. And when it is used, half of the ISD can hear the bloody thing because it's that god damn loud. Why keep a thing that no body uses? Shorten the length of the corridor and take out the tram so troopers can move past one another without bumping each other or moving onto the tracks to move around them. It doesn't help with those power generator things on the side of it making it even smaller for troopers to move. As an EC its even more frustrating as we have to run and dodge enemy fire to get anywhere from the MH2 areas. 

Hopefully I have explained my points well.

• Agree 1

For most of the rotation maps I personally dislike for the pure fact I find them extremely boring, most of them are bases or towns where we're told not to leave the base/town and are stuck inside until an event happens with little to do other than set up trainings or sim's and gamble it wears thin pretty quick at least on the ISD we can roam pretty much where ever and if we want to set something up somewhere slightly different we can use Orto, I find the ISD to just be much more comfortable to play on then most of the other maps I feel like I just dont get as bored playing on ship rather than off.

Offships have much more potential than the ISD, but it feels like we spend a lot of time just standing around.

I used to look forward to rotations, and then had an event where 2 regiments were posted at the gates, where we waited for an hour and a half with nothing happening.

ISD can have issues like this as well, where some people just don't have anything to do but stand around during events, and time waiting for defcon change taking forever, but it feels like the problem is emphasized with rotation maps, maybe because the EMs aren't as familiar as they are with ISD with spawn locations, where everyone is etc.

A lot of the time when going out of the base the whole server is usually moving as a single group which gets messy, it would be nice if we could be more flexible with what we do on offships and maybe just let groups do their own thing.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Fluro said:

Shorten the length of the corridor and take out the tram so troopers can move past one another without bumping each other or moving onto the tracks to move around them. It doesn't help with those power generator things on the side of it making it even smaller for troopers to move. 

There is no foreseeable future where we'd be able to edit the map like that due to Lord Trilobite not allowing his maps to be edited.

• Sad 1

Unreliable Roleplay. 

Unstable Maps.

All offships are the same. Nothing is unique. Always, attack this place, regain this outpost, take back this place. Crap RP.

Fix: Have passive roleplay set by the EM's. Have an EM for a branch, have them engaging in shiz

EM's like Yeff are lazy

Edited by Binny
  • Downvote 2