Effective use of Communications

Effective use of Communications

Communications and the use of /comms are very prominant features of SWRP and have been a staple of the Gamemode since it's conception. Being able to competently and effectivly use comms is important for all players to be able to direct relevant and useful information to individuals, groups and the entire server. For this reason I've decided to create a sort of information post that will help you use comms effectively; take this as my personal outlook on using comms effectively as there will be certain parts that you disagree with or may find unpractical.

As a note for this post, most of the topics of this post will be covering how to use comms in combat situations and won't divert into specific comms RP such as Navy RP etc.

General Tips for when Using Comms:

- Always ensure that before you send comm messages that your message has a purpose and is relevant to any RP on the server. Random messages or asking irrelevant questions can give off the impression that you are mingy. Keeping comms messages relevant and professional helps improve the overall immersion of the server

- Understanding when to use 'Secure Comms' (Team Chat) & [REGIMENT] (Server-Wide). Recently people have started using [REGIMENT] as a means of making rude or sassy comments about a situation so that everyone can see it but with the immunity of only their regiment being able to hear it in RP. Generally you should be using Team Chat for your regiment-wide communications, not only is it easier for people in your regiment to see but it also keeps global chat free of any uneeded messages

- Comm messages referencing or directed to other personnel should always have the person's rank included; the same way you should be including a superior's rank when you adress them. 

- Keeping a professional and concise appearance in comms. This sets a good example to the rest of the server and that should be the purpose of any action you take in-game, setting a good example gradually affects everyone else on the server.

Effective use of Communications in Combat:

Using comms effectively in combat is essential to having any sort of coordination between regiments in events. I use a personal system of:

Assign

Evaluate 

Response

To elabroate more on this:

Assign - In every regiment/team/squad etc the leader needs to assign either themselves or a member of that team to handle the majority of communications for that team. Usually this should be an officer or someone who is both concise and proficient at typing. The purpose of having an assigned communications officer is for two primary reasons: So that all other members of the team can focus on their assigned task & so that all communications from that team are coordinated effectively by a representative who knows exactly what messages have been sent out. This is important especially when hostiles are spotted and need to be reported in as everyone else in the team can focus on the situation while the comms officer focuses on reporting the situation.

Evaluate - Before sending through any Situation Report or [SITREP] you need to be aware of what the situation is and that you are sending through useful information. A lot of people will commonly put through a repeat of '[SITREP] ________ is being guarded by (themselves)' or '[SITREP] _______ is still clear'. The issue with this is when the message is repeated 5 times over the course of 10 minutes. These are not reporting an update to the situation and should instead be used when a higher up requests an update on what is being protected in terms of ______ is being guarded (in reference to the first example) or when an order to clear an area is issued in terms of ______ is clear (in reference to the second exmaple). To keep higher ups properly updated of a situation they need concise and relevant information. When you report in a SITREP you should actually be trying to report information and movements of the enemy such as "[SITREP] Enemy has assaulted ________ and been repelled. Current position unknown" or "[SITREP] ______ is currently sweeping _______, will report in additional information". If your battlestation is to guard ______ then you do not need to SITREP that you are guarding your assigned battlestation; it should be guarded.

Response - Finally, this is how you respond to other communication messages. This is the most important when a hostile force is reported at a location, if no-one reponds that they are enroute then the defending force must assume no reinforcements are coming, even if they are. It's critical that when you respond to reports of hostiles that you state this in comms as it provides information for both higher-ups coordiating our forces but also for the people reporting in. All sightings and engagements with hostiles should be reported in and all responding units should inform when they are responding. This extends past combat, if you are requested to report somewhere via comms you should send a comfirmation back.

Nothing in this post is directed towards anyone in particular but serves as a general foundation for what and how you should be using comms on the server. Take this with a grain of salt, nothing here is a rule or is trying to enforce anything simply a good method of maintaining an effective use of comms. Feel free to add any other Tips or comments.

• Thinking 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1
  • Upvote 5
41 minutes ago, Tempest said:

- Understanding when to use 'Secure Comms' (Team Chat) & [REGIMENT] (Server-Wide). Recently people have started using [REGIMENT] as a means of making rude or sassy comments about a situation so that everyone can see it but with the immunity of only their regiment being able to hear it in RP.

good point

@Tempest

be glad we never had that conversation about cybernetic penis's and vaginas on open comms and instead had it in the back of the med bay where everyone in compnor could hear us through the wall anyway.

• Haha 1
  • Poggers 2
6 hours ago, Tempest said:

- Understanding when to use 'Secure Comms' (Team Chat) & [REGIMENT] (Server-Wide). Recently people have started using [REGIMENT] as a means of making rude or sassy comments about a situation so that everyone can see it but with the immunity of only their regiment being able to hear it in RP. Generally you should be using Team Chat for your regiment-wide communications, not only is it easier for people in your regiment to see but it also keeps global chat free of any uneeded messages

This is an understandable concern, and likely stems from a question such as "Why add messages to the chatbox that aren't accessible to everyone?".
I'd like to address this concern and answer that question: to add and, most importantly, justify roleplay. I personally find justifying roleplay just as important as creating it.

Let's create a hypothetical situation:
My character, Marauder Marrvin Sheff, is arrested by a member of Shock for a relatively minor, but completely valid, infraction. However, instead of serving brig time and being released as normal, he is instead deported from the Tartarus by a high ranking member of the ISB, who, in his mind, shouldn't care about such a small matter. This is a major punishment stemming from what was originally a minor charge, and as such, Sheff is barred from boarding the ship without proper authority or reason and is practically excluded from most other players and roleplay situations.
I, as a player, would likely be pissed and could easily rant about it privately in team or OOC chat, but this does not set any precedent in roleplay for how my roleplay character feels, as out-of-character matters do not and should not translate into roleplay.
Thus, to quickly and effectively convey my character's feelings and establish a condition in roleplay, that being my character's disdain for the ISB, a message in [MAR] or [INQT] comms would be sent. This would justify future roleplay in which my character would act in disdain to the ISB, or at least that particular high-ranking member.

This is why members of AWRT/TI or high ranks, or hell even secret lovers (cough Ornil and Jugger) don't simply privately message each other to convey information, as it is much simpler and effective to justify their roleplay via restricted comms; it establishes certain aspects of their roleplay. It is also why the Dynamic Environment regiment exists at all. Thanks @Jman1308
That's just my two cents. I think the way regimental comms are used now is fine and it is better to stay that way.

#1100thpost

Edited by SCHEFF
  • 2 months later...
13 hours ago, lynk said:

You do have a point, really hope that more people see and uses it. I gotta agree that using comms should be more of a use where there should be more professionalism and respect towards others.

Bruh this post is 2 months old