Imperial Personnel File: 'Kommisarr'

Does a backstory really matter if the writer doesn't play on the server anymore?

Dunno.

Here is a backstory plus a short story.

Spoiler

__________________________________________________________________________________

:booting_up:

:enter_terms:

---access Imperial Archives---

:imperial_archives_opened:

:select_file:

---find file “Kommisarr”---

:searching:

:file_found:

:warning. clearance_level_4_required. input_password:

---*********---

:override_accepted:

__________________________________________________________________________________

Imperial Personnel File: Dossier on ‘Kommisarr’

Personal Information:

Name: Alecksi Vrostri-Halta

Current Regiment: Surveillance Division, Bureau of Operations, Imperial Intelligence

Current Rank: Assistant Division Chief

Species: Human

Current Age: 72

Birthdate: 73 BBY

Birthplace: Arkanis

Family: No living relatives

Early Life:

For most of his childhood, Alecksi was primarily raised by his fisherman father, as his mother was largely absent due to her career as a traveling banker, occasionally visiting her son. Being nurtured by his father’s patience and wisdom, and emboldened by his mother’s stern lectures, Alecksi began to develop into an intelligent, albeit overly conniving young man.

In his mid-teens, Alecksi began to hold a notorious reputation for causing disruptions amongst the children he grew up with, organising raids on local markets and shops. His continued presence as a public nuisance brought him to the attention of his planet’s law enforcement officials, in particular a Senate Bureau of Intelligence operative named Nial Jiin, who had been sent to Arkanis to investigate recent terror attacks. After many weeks on assignment, a stint which included several personal encounters with the youth, the operative managed to convince Alecksi to cease his misaligned habits. Enthralled by Jiin’s charismatic nature, Alecksi aimed to serve in the Republic’s intelligence services.

Working Life:

Alecksi left home in his early twenties, working his way towards Coruscant on various ships. This journey from Arkanis took place over a period of several months, during which he made use of the skills taught to him by his mother to negotiate and weasel his way through troubles that were presented. During his employments, he learnt to work machines, gaining a particular expertise with robotics during a job on a spice freighter.

In 48 BBY, Alecksi arrived on Coruscant and began his life in the intelligence services, seeking work in the same branch as Nial Jiin. First employed as a simple gofer in the halls of the Senate Building, he was given a chance to prove his mettle after meeting Jiin once more. The operation he was given was to investigate a senator’s suspected dealings with the pirate group ‘Felonious Maximus’. He succeeded, with the operation resulting in the senator’s arrest and a dead Shistavanen thug belonging to the crime cult. After this first operation, Alecksi’s career within the intelligence service was assured. In the decades that followed, he participated in and led multiple operations and investigations, earning both accolades and admiration from his peers as one of the top agents within the Bureau.

An operation of note occurred when he investigated the operations of Interrai Incorporated in 23 BBY over concerns of the megacorporation supplying Separatist advocates with weapons and supplies during a build-up of tensions during the Separatist Crisis. During his investigations he managed to strike up correspondence with Shonton Al-Sira, an ambitious agent working for the Information Division of Interrai Inc., and Roma Jeda, the quiet Vice President of the Marketing Division of Interrai Inc. These communications eventually landed him several interviews with Interrai Inc.’s Chief Marketing Officer, Malvolio Store. The interviews between Vrostri-Halta and the young businessman allayed suspicions about Interrai Incorporated’s activities relating to the Separatists, though investigations into the more dubious of Interrai’s business ventures continued throughout the following years. Because of these interviews, a strained friendship began between the serious, strait-laced Alecksi and the arrogant, hedonistic Malvolio.

During the Clone Wars, Alecksi’s fame within his department became infamy within the senate, as he refused to take part in the increasingly corrupt dealings of the senators, focusing on his duties as leader of a taskforce that indiscriminately investigated any individuals suspected of collaborating with the Confederacy of Independent Systems. His dedication to ruthlessly, and sometimes brutally, investigate threats to the Republic gave cause for his fellow agents to give him the nom de guerre ‘Kommisarr’, a name that terrified both those who built droids on far-off worlds and those who illegally benefitted from the war in the Senate.

Removal from Field Work:

In early 19 BBY, the then Head Agent Alecksi was involved in a simple census on Nal Hutta when he was injured by an insurgent bombing. The culprits escaped, as the more pressing concern for the rest of the census team was assisting those who were hurt by the blast. Alecksi’s wounds were extremely severe. His left arm and both of his legs were blown from his body, he became blind in his left eye, and his jaw was destroyed.

While his critical condition became stabilised thanks to a lengthy rest in a bacta tank, the loss of his body parts required cybernetic replacements. Even then, he was stricken with a pronounced, painful limp, necessitating the use of a cane, and ever since the incident he has frequently discharged an oozing red liquid from the hinges of his replacement jaw, which he must constantly clean with a handkerchief.

Even after months of physical therapy, his injuries, on top of his age, ensured that he would not be able to continue work as a field agent, and he was relegated to a tamer desk job. Despite this reassignment, Alecksi persisted in venturing out to root out traitors to the Republic, though far less frequently than he did before. Though his dedication to protecting the Republic was paramount, other agents noted an apparent desire to exact justice on those who disfigured him.

Work in the New Order:

Throughout his career in the intelligence services, Alecksi remained steadfast in his mission to protect the institutions he believed in. This can be considered the primary reason for why he remained employed within intelligence divisions after the rise of the Galactic Empire. His record both as an agent and an administrator within the Senate Bureau of Intelligence allowed him to keep his authority as the intelligence service he dedicated his life to was reformed into Imperial Intelligence, choosing to work within the Surveillance Division of the Bureau of Operations.

Vrostri-Halta’s work in the New Order has led to the success of several major operations to rid the galaxy of Separatist influence. Under the seeming omniscient guidance of the ‘Kommisarr’, this threat to the security of the Empire has been wiped out. It was this achievement among others, as well as his duty and drive to keep the Empire safe, that led to him attaining the lofty position of Assistant Division Chief of the Surveillance Division. While his new rank has largely halted his active participation in operations, he still keeps personal files on several individuals who he believes could pose a threat to Imperial security. The subjects of these files range from prominent senators such as Bail Organa of Alderaan and Mon Mothma of Chandrila, due to their attempts to de-escalate the Clone Wars and sympathy towards current insurrectionists, to low-value Imperial stormtroopers such as ST-6094 ‘Department’ and ST-9921 ‘Rockatansky’, due to the former’s alleged relations with occult groups and the latter’s scavenger past. He constantly journeys around the galaxy to discreetly check on these individuals.

Vrostri-Halta’s current work involves administration of operations concerning the growing threat of insurrection by the Alliance to Restore the Republic, an organisation that he views will enforce a return to the corrupt government he hated. Several operations have led to arrests of rebel sympathisers in the Outer Rim, though he continues his work investigating Imperial figures for rebel collaborators.

---exit file---

:exiting_file:

:select_file:

---exit Imperial Archives---

:exiting_imperial_archives:

:enter_terms:

---erase search history | shut down---

:erasing_search_history:

:shutting_down:

The bounty hunter had become accustomed to the glare of the terminal screen and blinked as it shut off, revealing a dim reflection of his unshaven, sleepy face. He leaned back, wincing and rubbing his eyes. His chair rolled along with him, pulling him away from the computer. He glanced at the unconscious guard on the floor next to him. He noticed that a small pool of blood had formed under the guard’s head and shrugged, standing up and kicking the small knife away from the guard. He stepped over him to leave the room, but stopped as his holoprojector began to vibrate, signalling that his client wanted to speak with him. He pulled the device out of his pocket and switched it on, causing a small blue projection of a Selonian in an ornate robe to appear in his hand.

“Mister Mungus,” growled the figure. “Have you done what I asked?” “Damn right I’ve done it,” replied Mungus, stepping back over the guard to sit back in his chair. “You got the rest of my pay, Bisten? Not easy work, this is.” He barely suppressed a grin as he lied. His break-in had been one of the simplest jobs he had ever taken. The only guard he had encountered was lying next to him with a dent in his head. Not that the client needed to know. “Of course I do. Now, tell me what was in the file.” The hologram shifted as the Selonian seemed to sit, though no chair came through the projector.

“Righto. This Kommisarr bloke seems pretty high-profile, some shady kind of public figure-“ “Not him,” the hologram almost yelled before composing himself. “The marketing officer, Store. What was said of him?” Mungus furrowed his brow in confusion. “Not much. Just that he was a bit of a prick is all. Don’t mean much to me. I think all those business types are like that. Ah, no offense, Moyd.”

This response caused Bisten to click his tongue in apparent disappointment before Mungus continued. “Shame you’re focussed on this one guy. This Kommisarr’s made some pretty interesting allegations. Like, there’re some bucketheads who’re involved with cults, some senators who’re funding rebels. But you wanna know about this loser who used to work for you because, what? He take your wife or something?”

The hologram’s head snapped towards Mungus. “All you need to know is that his actions disadvantaged Interrai Incorporated, and that any information about him will be rewarded handsomely. That being said, are you sure that there is nothing in the file about Store?”

The bounty hunter paused to think. He tried to push past the thoughts of money, straining to make a connection. Store. You spend money in a store, you make money in a store. Did Store make these guys a lot of money? He’d heard about Interrai before he was approached for the job; they were even mentioned in the file. Widespread corporation like that, they’d have a lotta stores.

“… lotta department stores,” he mumbled to himself.

“I beg your pardon?” queried the Selonian in his palm. “Ah, sorry Moyd. Just thinkin’ out loud that you guys would have a lot of depar-“ He stopped, slowly sitting up straight, a grin slowly spreading across his face. “Department,” he said quietly. “Department Store,” he said, louder this time. “Mister Mungus, what are you talking about?” asked Moyd Bisten, sounding increasingly confused.

“Right, so the file talked about this buckethead that’s in a cult or something,” Mungus said excitedly, “name’s Department. You think him and this Store bloke could be the same person?” The hologram stayed silent for a few seconds before the Selonian let out a chuckle. “By the Force,” he said, “I think that’s the best lead we’ve had in a long time, Mister Mungus. What details did it have on this ‘Department’?”

“That’s…” Mungus briefly paused before altering his sentence, “… gonna cost you more, Moyd.”

“What,” came a cold reply, causing the bounty hunter to involuntarily shudder before he resumed speaking. “You said that any information about this Store bloke would be handsomely rewarded. Your words, not mine. Now if this is worth so much to you, then I want ten times the original payment. You can afford it, I know you can.”

Bisten stayed silent before responding, sounding almost bored. “Hugh Mungus, I would recommend that you simply relay the information to me. Do this and I will get you three times your original payment for it on top of the credits you’ve already received.” Mungus licked his lips, steeling himself before saying, “Ten times the original payment, or you get nothing.” A sigh came through the projector before Bisten began to speak again.

“Mister Mungus, I thank you for your cooperation with Interrai Incorporated. Your services are no longer required, as I am sure there are other bounty hunters who will prove more obedient. I despise lies, as any Selonian does, so I will be frank with you. You have been followed during this assignment. As I now consider you untrustworthy to know the information you have read, you will be silenced.”

Mungus sat, staring wide-eyed at the hologram before it called out much louder than before. “Guts, kill.” The bounty hunter heard a metallic shifting behind him, and as he looked up from the hologram, he stared into the dark computer monitor. Above his left shoulder shone a pair of red dots, and when he snapped his head around to look behind him, he saw a large robot holding the knife he had previously kicked away from the guard.

The MagnaGuard droid plunged the knife into the side of Mungus’s head, knocking him to the floor. When the bounty hunter didn’t move, the robot lowered its hand back to its resting position, looking around the room for more opponents. “Is the bounty hunter dead, Guts?” came Bisten’s voice from the floor. The droid picked up the holoprojector to look at the Selonian and replied with a simple “Yes, sir.”

“Good. Then everything is fine. Exfiltrate and get this holoprojector to Trun so he can reset it for future use. Tell him that I said you did your duties admirably, Security Officer.” “Yes, sir. Thank you, sir,” came the deep-voiced reply. “You can turn this device off now, Guts. I’ll have to forward the information I did get to Al-Sira, his agents will make short work of that investigation.” Bisten’s voice grew faint, as if he was talking to himself whilst setting his own holoprojector onto the table in front of him.

The droid switched the holoprojector off, causing the Selonian to disappear and shutting off the blue light that had softly illuminated the room. Its work done, it kicked the body of the guard aside and strode from the room, leaving the dead bounty hunter to stare emptily at the doorway.

Spoiler

My name is Hugh Mungus Head Injury. Go away.

The file part of this took me months to write, and the short story took two days. I am not lazy, just inconsistent.

• Poggers 1
  • Upvote 1