(PAC3) Experimental Models & Game Crashing

Hello Imperial Gaming, I will start this topic off by informing you that the topic at hand is directed towards PAC3 users; more specifically TIER 2 users and staff that have access to it's functions.

I briefly spoke with Alystair and Luigi last night regarding the consistent crashes that have been occurring lately; whilst no server side crashes, people were still crashing at an abnormally alarming rate, to go even further with this a few members were straight up crashing just by opening up their PAC3 Editors.

I have a compressive reasoning behind some of the issues that are going on with some of the more isolated crashes. Tier 2 Users have access to model2 or "experimental model" this allows users to fully import models from the workshop; generally a zipped file containing the mdl file, it's vvd,dx and vd files along with all it's materials and whatever else the model requires. Naturally these zipped files can be extremely large in size; the larger the file the longer it takes for said mdl to download on the server; this is also relevant to how fast your download speed is.

Now, to back up my claims, I found a long time ago; when model2 was first added around the time that I was in Purge Troopers as the juggernaut purge trooper; whenever I would wear the pac (It averaged around 140mb for the zipped files) Not only would my game lag / freeze, but people around me. I found that it as capable of crashing not only my game, but other people who had loaded the pac around me. This raises a cause for concern as lately a lot of people have been crashing either isolated incidents or even a handful of people all within the same area, PAC3 also tends to auto wear your already transmitted pac on the server which could also be a cause for this. I have tested this extensively in the past before and found that files above 100MB (collectively, if you have multiple zipped files on your pac that go above said threshold this could also occur) You could crash your own or other peoples game; perhaps both at the same time. If you are experiencing a lot of lag or your game freezing whenever you wear your pac, this would be a clear indication.

Additionally you could also experience an anomaly with your PAC, if you often have too many model2's on your pac and you find that randomly your PAC3 stops transmitting one of your models and straight up prevents people from downloading it, this is another sign that the file is far too large for the server to handle;  and 9 times out of 10 if you were to restart your pac to fix this your game would crash on the next time it sought to re-wear your PAC.

I am not looking to point fingers at specific PAC3 users utilizing model2, it'd be very difficult to even say who could be responsible for it as and from my experience; you could always wear the PAC with no issues but perhaps hours later it could cause your game to crash; I can certainly say that it is PAC3 that causes it because whenever I would have crashed utilizing that purge pac would have been when the server was auto-wearing/updating the pac. 

Whilst I am not an official part of the PAC3 Management team, as a PAC3 User and ex-pac manager I would urge that all tier 2 users look at utilizing zipped files for model2 that are under 100MB. You can look into minimizing and or optimizing the size of said zipped file by deleting materials or other folders that wouldn't be detrimental to whatever part of the model you are seeking to utilize. 

If you ended up reading this post, and some of this criteria fell under you and your PACs I would push you to start optimizing and minimizing the sizes of your zipped files for PAC3. Especially more towards SEM+ as this could potentially be a big issue with event pacs.

This thread is open to discussion regarding the situation and issues stemming from this area of PAC3, if you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them to the best of my ability, additionally feel free to add anything if you yourself have experienced anything similar or have anything to weigh in.

• Upvote 3

Yeah man, I believe Pac3 editor itself is having some issues with itself. I've had tier 2 for a few months now and it was fine when I first got access with importing full models. Literally today I was loading a basic model in for replacing a head and it crashed, loaded back in, crashed again. So obviously something is up with the addon itself. I looked for any update logs for Pac3 and others were experiencing the same issues in the comments.

Perhaps all we can do it just wait for the owner of the addon to release a patch.

• Upvote 1

imagine not optimizing pacs already smh

also due to me being a gigachad ion experience none of these crashes or issues.
smiling-face-with-sunglasses_1f60e.png

Edited by Boshi
  • Sad 1
5 minutes ago, Boshi said:

imagine not optimizing pacs already smh

Except it's a double edged sword, people can still crash your game with their pac if theirs is too large of a file size. However it appears to be completely random when this happens.

I can definitely say with a positivity as soon as Luigi Crashed last night I saw two MDL files being downloaded on my screen at that very moment.

• Shocked 1
3 hours ago, Boshi said:

Never load into the Server, never crash. That's my lifestyle.

• Upvote 1

Can't say I've had many crashes with PAC3, but I can agree with you & Binny on the assumption that something is up with the addon. One of the models I use exists on the server, is spawnable and is able to be manipulated/interacted with, but for some reason when I apply it to my character people can't see either the and-or material. Not sure if that's just their end for not having the material, but some people I've talked to who can't see it claim to have everything, including cssource. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So yeah, not much of an addition to PAC bugs from my perspective, but there's definitely something up.

Update: Some people can't see the textures I've uploaded to my model, claiming I'm "blinding white as the Lord himself". I can, however, as well as those other people, can see them fine. Not sure whether that's a clientside thing on their end or if my PAC didn't load properly when I loaded in, but I have a bind specifically for re-wearing my current PAC so not sure what's going on there.

Edited by Greyback