So, Management, through Alystair, is attempting to force me to remove my brackets from my in character name. I'm not sure what the big deal is.

Name: WO 62-RTS TK-0404 {Mauler}

My name was set to TK-0404 but apparently this isn't good enough, as it "impedes staff ability to target them". However, this is invalid for a few reasons. Firstly, you can target players through the TAB Menu. Secondly you can just target the 4 numbers in my name, which would be pretty unique. When I was Moderator, and I tried targetting @Pro for example, I was never able to do it, as I would target people like @Prodigy and such. Instead, I'd go through TAB, or target 2919, as in CT-2919.

So, I complied, and added (Mauler) into my name, so staff could target Mauler. My name is in brackets, because my Character's name ISN'T Mauler, it's TK-0404. BH have it, Droids have it, why can't I? But Alystair is attempting to shove down my throat a "rule" that I cannot HAVE brackets in my name for whatever reason. The threat is an awarn for not complying. 

Thoughts Community?

Also watch this post get deleted for questioning management.

Edited by Mauler
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Upvote 5

It won't get deleted, don't worry. There's nothing wrong with this post.

Completely agree with you big fella, the reason for these long names is to prevent people from not being able to see who said something, etc. but in your cause its relatively easy to notice your voice, as well as easy enough to target you and identify you due to the (Mauler) in your name. I actually believe recently we discussed not allowing TK numbers as the only identifier if they weren't approved, but yours is a perfect example of them being used only in character and then allowing others to identify you through the brackets in your name.

WO is rank, 62-RTS is Riot Sergeant, TK-0404 is your identifying TK numbers and then Mauler as the way to identify you OOC for Staff. Seems fine to me :)

• Poggers 1
  • Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, Bailey said:

It won't get deleted, don't worry. There's nothing wrong with this post.

Completely agree with you big fella, the reason for these long names is to prevent people from not being able to see who said something, etc. but in your cause its relatively easy to notice your voice, as well as easy enough to target you and identify you due to the (Mauler) in your name. I actually believe recently we discussed not allowing TK numbers as the only identifier if they weren't approved, but yours is a perfect example of them being used only in character and then allowing others to identify you through the brackets in your name.

WO is rank, 62-RTS is Riot Sergeant, TK-0404 is your identifying TK numbers and then Mauler as the way to identify you OOC for Staff. Seems fine to me :)

he do be spittin' tho

• Upvote 1

@TheNegotiator isn't actually the person who wanted that rule enforced. I'd recommend that if you want to discuss this that you talk to upper management as they were the ones that initiated this rule.

30 minutes ago, yeff said:

@TheNegotiator isn't actually the person who wanted that rule enforced. I'd recommend that if you want to discuss this that you talk to upper management as they were the ones that initiated this rule.

I know exactly who it was. Alystair was the one who conveyed it, so I addressed him. If the member in question wants to come forward, they can. On top of this, they attempted to go around me, by speaking with my fellows to get my name changed or something, instead of directly speaking with me... until today, in which I was threatened an AWARN if I didn't remove the (Mauler) from my name.

i'd prefer a name to numbers, but whatever works

i guess it's just what you do with the name

Personally, if you're going to bring up a topic like this, which is completely fine, it's probably best not to shove names down the throats of players. I can't imagine anyone enjoying being publicly called out for something they'd have minimal control over. He's just trying to do his job.

I don't see it as a big problem, but at the same time I don't necessarily understand the outrage that's caused as a result. It's not a fact of "Nah, you're gonna get banned because you've got an OOC name", it's more like "Just remove the brackets & have it as your name". If that's a problem, just make a new character. No one is going to forget that TK-0404 is Mauler, people tend to identify others by their voice & personality.

Before this topic follows the recent trend and spirals into another pandemonium, here's my response.

Hi, I'm Kristofer, the management member in question who is responsible for instating a standardised name rule. This decision was not one made by myself alone, and another member of management was apart of the decision making process. 

We've noticed that a lot of players in the community had a sudden awakening that galvanised them into abandoning their written identity and taking on a more unique look of only operating numbers. Here is an example to give out in order to prove that I am not just pulling facts from thin air; on the 9th of May last week on the afternoon before the staff meeting, virtually the entirety of the 107th's Shock Division and Riot Company changed their names to Stormtrooper Operating Numbers (TK-1234, etc), I assumed it was only going to be a short-term joke. Regardless of comedic value, I decided to discuss this with Siege Monkey and we both agreed that moderators should look more into enforcing names and making sure they're all orthodox. 

The primary reason for the enforcement is to allow staff members to easily identify a player instead of needing to memorise a four digit number to associate with. Yes, I do agree that having (Mauler) in your name after TK-0404 does rectify those issues, but why? Why do that if you can just make it TK-0404 "Mauler" and have it as an in-character callsign. Yes, Imperial Troopers did have callsigns, such as 'Crag' from Tatooine's Foot Patrol 7 or, coincidentally, 'Mauler' of Black Squadron and wingman of Darth Vader during the Battle of Yavin. I understand it's your choice to make, however that choice is non-standard and creates an inconsistency. 

As you said yourself, it's not a big problem at all. I'm personally not losing any sleep over it, and I doubt you would either if you conformed to these new regulations.

You might question this decision and ask "Why are some players still allowed to only go by numbers/have their name in brackets?", bounty hunters are given the option to do so because they're lore characters and may need a way to let staff or other players know who they are, droids are given the option to do so because their names usually only random strings of numbers and letters and may need a way to let staff or other players know who they are.

Yes, I did not personally go to you to ask you to change your name, instead I delegated that to staff members such as Binny and Alystair because that's how chain of command works. It had to be done twice because you first reluctantly went from TK-0404 to TK-0404 (Mauler) after spouting a few derogatory remarks in OOC chat. Afterwards you were told off and switched to TK-0404 {Mauler}

I hope this has brought light upon the situation as well as necessary context behind this tragic tale.

TL;DR - The rule has been put in place by management. Everyone must have a name associated to them.

• Upvote 3

Just to finalise this thread - brackets are fine to have in your name. However, a name cannot just be a series of numbers and must have a clear identifying feature.

• Facepalm 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Cecil locked this topic