Thoughts/Ideas on adding new NPC types

Definitely need to say 1st that this is just my own idea and new NPCs aren't 100% coming to the server 
Alright lads, recently I've been finding that during NPC events (technically all the time) but quite recently there's been a lack of variety. I believe that this is absolutely no fault of the EMs, but I believe due to a lack of different NPC types. There are only 5 distinct types of NPCs currently: The ones with guns, the crabs that jump, the antlions that charge, the zombies (which spawn crabs) and the antlions which jump even higher than the crabs.

So I started looking around on the workshop and found an NPC base addon called VJ Base. From what I've discovered in the workshop and messing around in single player there is quite a few addons that utilise the VJ base.
This includes but is not limited to:
- NPCs based on the games from Alien swarm which I believe most fit the theme of the server and would work the best. This is the addon I'd suggest the most as it contains a large variety of bugs and creatures that do many things all within one addon. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=126336699
- There's also a further addon to this which adds even more varieties. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=945509490

- Some Half life NPCs that didn't make it into Gmod, and ones updated from the original half life. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1163787295

- Enemies from fallout. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1609254889

- and many more

There is also a tool/weapon within the base that allows players to control the NPCs which is honestly pretty cool and would be a lot easier than EMs just modelling themselves to give us a boss.
From what I've seen from messing around in single player this is no real effect on lag (Well other than the same lag all NPCs Cause). However, if there is some downside you know of definately mention it.

Edited by Joel
  • Agree 3
  • Upvote 9

I wholeheartedly agree. As a former EM I can confirm it can be a bit difficult when picking the right NPC for the job. You have to get a bit creative/imaginative with it, and even then there's no guarantee the rest of the server will follow through with said creativity. It would be great to see some additional variations around.

Unfortunately as with all good things in life these NPC's come with a cost. The cost of using VJ NPC's means we would need to reduce our maximum player cap by 40. They are awesome but also horrifically complex to calculate for the server and would most likely bring it to its knees. Or maybe one day when SRCDS decides to support true multi-threaded servers or server CPU's (that are affordable) exceed 5GHz plus.

• Sad 2
23 hours ago, Mauler said:

i think its time for an 80 slot event server :gigathonk:

i don't know if that would be effective... or how that would work in regards to player tracking & etc

On 1/27/2021 at 2:55 PM, Ragetank said:

Unfortunately as with all good things in life these NPC's come with a cost. The cost of using VJ NPC's means we would need to reduce our maximum player cap by 40. They are awesome but also horrifically complex to calculate for the server and would most likely bring it to its knees. Or maybe one day when SRCDS decides to support true multi-threaded servers or server CPU's (that are affordable) exceed 5GHz plus.

just be better dev

On 1/26/2021 at 2:19 PM, Joel said:

Definitely need to say 1st that this is just my own idea

something an idea thief would say :peepoGiggle: nah sounds good, but shit sounds hard