G'day Yall

Myself and Anderson where on the server today at around 95~ players and had a little count. We discovered that 33/95 players where above the clearance of CL3+. This had me thinking about why we need that many officers. Obviously this isn't health for the server as no one wants to play a top heavy rank server where everyone just wants to order everyone around, and such I have a suggestion and I want the communities opinion on this. Obviously with 1/3rd of the server being officers, its quite apparent that its easy to get CL3. I've first hand seen Captains and Majors that are level 40, barely any game time, just hops on for promotion days and their officers just hand them out. 

I have a few suggestions that are feasible options, some more affective than others. 

- A soft rank reset + officer cuts, this would entail all officers to be evaluated by 'competent' members of the community and all officer slots to be cut. (Officer Slots- [VF=3] [SHR=3] [SK=5] [ST=4] 

Army CL3+ don't need that many slots, especially ST's. 

- When transferring from COMPNOR/NAVY to Army you receive a 3-4 rank demotion as it just wouldn't make sense for an ISB agent to become some brilliant shore officer. It doesn't make sense for your character. 

- Cut Officer Slots | Double promotion times | Enforce officers to be somewhat competent. 

- Or, if your feeling boring. Purge everyones ranks. Keep good CO's

Again don't be salty, this is my opinion. Enlighten me with your perspective down below :)

Edited by Binny
  • Facepalm 2
  • Upvote 1

Obviously top heavy isn't great but CL3's aren't really treated as being a "high rank" on the server to be honest. The other big issue is cutting slots by that much will result in people being stuck in the same rank for months which becomes quite annoying.

The problem with officer cuts is nobody in high command likes demoting people who aren't doing a good job, for whatever reason..

Also, with the ISB Agent to Shore officer thing, ISB characters are PK'd 90% of the time when you leave ISB so you're not keeping that character, it's more so that all the time you spent grinding through the ranks in that regiment doesn't turn out to be a waste of time (When you leave Inquisitors or Imperial Guard, you get set to Private because their ranks don't really have a proper equivalent that they can move to since their ranks work differently) 

I think it should take longer to get to CL3 and I also believe that High Command of whatever branch you're in should have to say yes/no before being promoted. They should also have to be able to explain what they have actually done in that regiment to deserve an officer position.

I think the best and easiest change that could be made is to demote anyone who leave a CL3/4 position to Warrant Officer I so they have to re-earn the ability to be an officer. When people go to a new regiment, they should have to prove to their new Commanding Officer that they are competent troopers/officers. Different commanders have different standards

• Upvote 6

*scribbles down, remove storm trooper high command*

All jokes aside, fair post but shouldn't jump the gun on cutting down size, extending the time to earn the position I would understand.

5 hours ago, SiegeMonkey said:

I think the best and easiest change that could be made is to demote anyone who leave a CL3/4 position to Warrant Officer I

This, alongside CL5/CL6 etc. and making sure we're removing people who aren't doing their jobs rather than waiting for people to get shitty with their higher ups and then leaving for another Regiment or division.

• Upvote 1

I think its a silly idea cutting available ranks. I think make it harder to get those ranks but not by extending the amount of time it takes to unlock the next rank but instead make it so they have to reach a certain competency. This would encourage players to work smarter and harder rather than just harder. Rather than just waiting for your next promo date they would be constantly striving to impress the higher ups and would in turn result in better troopers and Officers. We need Active and Competent CO's which are lacking in some regiments due to the only requirement to reach those ranks being time spent in regiment. Not everyone deserves to be an officer. The CO's should have the power to stop promos and tell the troopers to be better rather than being pressured by the time constraints. 

Edited by Julius
Grammer
  • Poggers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Advisor

One of the biggest issues in my eyes is that a lot of people when promoting somebody see they have been there the acceptable amount of time required and have not messed up and thus deserve a promotion. But promotions should not be about the amount of time you spend in the regiment or if you get along and are friendly in OOC. Promotions should be decided on merit, if the individual has done something in RP to warrant that promotion, if they have shown they are capable of progressing to the next rank and fulfill the responsibilities that some with it.

For example back in the day when I ran ISB the starting ranks (CL1) were Constable, Senior Constable then Acting Operative.

I would not promote somebody from the Constable ranks until they had mastered the duties and responsibilities that come with, such as liaising with shock, performing inspections and security checks and completing reports on personnel incidents as well as learning protocols. They may have and I did keep some people in those Constable ranks for 2 or more weeks just at Private equals until I felt like they could move on and are ready to master the next set of duties that come with being an Operative.

But you know what, when they got their promotions they actually felt like they earned it, personally I feel like promotions are handed out too easily today and are done just to keep people interested in said regiment but if you want people to feel good and I mean really good when they get a promotion they can't just be handed out for attendance.

• Upvote 6
8 hours ago, Binny said:

where everyone just wants to order everyone around

I have very rarely seen an army CL3 properly issue orders during events or in general. It tends to show how low the qualifications for CL3 really are. 
I think we often forget what a CL3 member, an officer, is. Commissioned officers should be expected to be able to lead, coordinate, and issue orders to all the NCOs and Enlisted personnel below them. Officers aren't just regular soldiers, and regular soldiers shouldn't be promoted to an officer position. 

Commanders should strive to promote based on merit rather than based on time, in my opinion. If you're concerned that someone in your regiment will leave due to not being promoted despite not deserving a promotion, let them go, they won't be worth your time. 

• Upvote 4
8 hours ago, SiegeMonkey said:

Obviously top heavy isn't great but CL3's aren't really treated as being a "high rank" on the server to be honest. The other big issue is cutting slots by that much will result in people being stuck in the same rank for months which becomes quite annoying.

The problem with officer cuts is nobody in high command likes demoting people who aren't doing a good job, for whatever reason..

Also, with the ISB Agent to Shore officer thing, ISB characters are PK'd 90% of the time when you leave ISB so you're not keeping that character, it's more so that all the time you spent grinding through the ranks in that regiment doesn't turn out to be a waste of time (When you leave Inquisitors or Imperial Guard, you get set to Private because their ranks don't really have a proper equivalent that they can move to since their ranks work differently) 

I think it should take longer to get to CL3 and I also believe that High Command of whatever branch you're in should have to say yes/no before being promoted. They should also have to be able to explain what they have actually done in that regiment to deserve an officer position.

I think the best and easiest change that could be made is to demote anyone who leave a CL3/4 position to Warrant Officer I so they have to re-earn the ability to be an officer. When people go to a new regiment, they should have to prove to their new Commanding Officer that they are competent troopers/officers. Different commanders have different standards

I 100% agree with this especially the longer to get to CL3 and the High Command getting a Yes/No say (would also give them something to do apart from standing round waiting for events XD)

This is something thats brought up alot when I'm talking to anyone in game and out of it. I was always perplexed as to why so many where in notable roles and were able to maintain those roles without ever getting on the server itself, that thought aside, I think something could be easily fixed when transferring to different regiments:

• A very very strict demotion like Binny said
    • In some cases, maybe even set to the Private equivalent, its no fun when someone comes into the regiment from a high rank and gets a notable rank way above, while you yourself have been grinding your ass for the regiment, it is frustrating. Im sure some compromise could be made for certain people in very high notable positions switching to another reg, being given an officer role, but not all the time.
    • Taking on the Sith rule, where if you swap reg's or leave, you get set to Private would be a good way of getting people to make their way up regiments and learn the ropes from a completely new perspective, rather than getting a free ride.

Thanks for bringing this up Binny, it’s a bit of an interesting topic. Army High Command has recognized this as a concern in the past and for that we increased CL3 minimum promotion times by about 40 days off the top of my head. To address this moving forward we have thought of and should be performing officer evaluations army-wide over the next few weeks if everything goes as planned. On top of this we have discussed about some goals that officers have to achieve in order to be eligible to receive their rank like a certain number of trainings and tryouts as well as active participation in events which will be able to be logged by themselves and signed off by CO’s before receiving a promotion. We were thinking of this coming into effect around the Warrant Officer rank.  

Any more suggestions are welcome just wanted to let you guys know on what AHC are thinking of about this matter so far :) 

• Upvote 2

So lets talk about ranks and rank structures and unit structure/sizes.

On the server, each "regiment" has somewhere between 5-7 CL3+ slots. This is a disaster as, take Shock for example, an 18 slot regiment, has 7 CL3+ slots, plus another one for the Battalion Commander. That is just under 50% of the regiment being an officer. It just leads to Officers not leading troopers, but leading a unit of other officers.

In real life, a Lieutenant/Captain leads a Company. That's 100 people, with support staff. A Major/Colonel leads a battalion/regiment. The order is specificly Section/Squad/Platoon/Company/Battalion/Regiment/Brigade/Division/Corps/Army. But we have Battalions on the server consisting of Divisions? Kinda Scuffed. We also have Brigadier Generals leading Battalions.

We should really clarify unit sizes, as well as actually giving CL3 Officers authority. "Regiments" or units SHOULD be led by a CL3. IHC SHOULD be led by, at maximum, a Brigadier General or, at a Division level, a Major General.

Obviously if we did this, all other ranks on the server would have to scale back to match.

• Upvote 1