image.png.b6ab77b2e407b061fad646c588376a8a.png

Community Toxicity

Overview: Toxicity is something that's defined as having a bad attitude in a game towards the game itself, the situation you are playing in and the other players around you, now while this definition is loose and you can surely describe anyone as toxic no matter what they do, the Imperial RP server has fundamentally gotten more and more toxic. I'm not saying the server is a cess pool of people grabbing at each others necks and screaming to the top of their lungs (At least in OOC anyway) but the server has dropped in a certain way, people tend to hold grudges for IC situations and generally take things too far, leading to a divide between community members and regiments on the server alike, generally causing petty rivalry's to pop out. I just want to note that you can never get rid of toxicity without high levels of moderation, leading to absolutely no enjoyment for the community, but there are simple ways as to manage toxicity and generally resolve them, which people tend to either forget about or dismiss entirely. Furthermore, toxicity is part of the game and to a certain degree I feel its needed for some strife to occur every now and again, as it does provide (I hate to say it) some enjoyment for the server, but when feuds are continuously on going and legitimately restricts roleplay, gameplay and progression both in the community and the server, that's when it becomes a problem. 

Causes: Generally the causes of strife on the server and community start off with the most mundane and petty things, leaving things to fester only makes things worse:

• 'Petty' AOS' - We've all seen them at least once, and the pettiness comes down to the people who view the AOS, whether it be their friend, IC comrade or whatnot, but the generalized distinction between Petty and not Petty is clear to see to most people.
    • Disrespect: This one takes up a majority of the AOS' and in some cases it is legitimately justified to put on someone, when a trooper blatantly slanders a higherup or high command position its generally not looked down upon, when it does become a problem is when people instigate things with a quick comment and hope for the other person to say something back (which they nearly always do). I'm trying not to throw shade, but ive seen this done alot by SEC regiments, whether it be just a bit of banter or not, its not fun when you disrespect someone and immediately expect to be exempt to getting away from it.
    • How to resolve: Don't try to instigate conflict for your own amusement, for your comrades amusement or because you have nothing to do. Furthermore, what I dont see being done, and what I HAVENT done myself, is actually talk one on one with the party that issued to AOS, 9 times out of 10, it clears it up, albeit with a warning.
  • Taking IC discussion, debate or issues into /ooc
    • Done on a regular basis, this is a no brainer on not what to do when you find yourself in a pickle or want to be generally heard by the server regarding an issue, spamming /ooc with your problem generally doesn't get you support and makes you look, you guessed it, toxic.
    • How to resolve: LEAVE IT IC, the IC problem remains IC, for you to deal with IN CHARACTER. If you feel that the problem may escalate any further, shoot a ticket a staffs way and have it resolved then and there. No harm done, no foul.
  • Getting other people and regiments to deal with your problem
    • Im all for helping out a mate, but theres a thin line between helping a person and getting someone to bandwagon on a problem to make your argument seem better. This problem has caused divides between regiments in the past, leading to an Us VS Them mentality and a general decline in wanting to work with one another on operations, missions and events.
    • How to resolve: You can talk as much shit as you want behind closed doors, just don't make the situation worse by getting other people and regiments to bandwagon your argument (probably not best to shit talk in general but hey ho)
  • Not getting what you want
    • From In Character promotions, prizes, commendation, awards, to the resolution of staff sits and OOC problems. This issue has plagued some people, being entirely bitter about a situation not going your way and not getting what you want, even when you in some aspect where in the wrong as well. There tends to generally be a reasoning for not getting (x) and you could always ask people as to why you didn't get (x) and try to work on yourself or your character in game.
    • How to resolve: Basically what I just said above

I know this is preaching to the choir in some aspects, and as I have said before toxicity is generally good in some ways and a fundamental of gaming in general, its just sad to see year long conflicts built up on something that happened in character, I myself generally don't hold grudges too massive, but I have had some, luckily all resolved in less than a 2 minute talk with the individuals involved. This post may not do much, but it is an issue that I feel like needs to be talked about to some level, even talking about your problems with the individual, you'l find that you two were mad over a starwarsRP server lmao. 

(There is a lot, a lot more causes that I neglected to add in on the pretense of saving time, I would like for you to leave any feedback to the post, if it was somewhat helpful to someone even a micro percent, then its a win.)

• Poggers 1
  • Agree 3
  • Upvote 4

Its literally as simple as "Stop taking the game so seriously." and "Stop being a sook." to all of those people who are just being spuds to each other and being toxic.

You're not cool because you're a high rank, its GMod.

As the old adage from @Chopz goes, grow up.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Higashi said:

'Petty' AOS' - We've all seen them at least once, and the pettiness comes down to the people who view the AOS, whether it be their friend, IC comrade or whatnot, but the generalized distinction between Petty and not Petty is clear to see to most people.

1 hour ago, Higashi said:

I'm trying not to throw shade, but ive seen this done alot by SEC regiments,

So, ex shock co, may have heard of me.

Essentially, there was a period where multiple CO meetings occured to address 'Petty' AOS's. People typically use the !aos feature to get out of a discussion/argument, and most of the time when they're losing said argument. If someone is being mildly disorderly and borderline disrespectful, you COULD aos them, but it really does just boil down to being Petty. 

Also, I can say this now, a lot of Disrespect AOS's, I deemed as Petty and voided. I could do that as Shock CO (apparently), so I did. This was for a couple of reasons. First, when someone is AOSed, they don't turn themselves in, they run and hide, resist, etc. There's no punishment for this beyond the AOS you just received. But it means that as Security personnel, we (or rather, not me, anymore >:) ) would spend all our time on the server trying to find a suspect, only for them to kill us after an hour of searching, (because they can do that without breaking ANY rules), over a petty aos. So, either I just void it, or I say "Fuck it", and sit on my thumbs, chill, play the server, and if I see them around, I arrest them, because that's what ARREST ON SIGHT means.

• Agree 1

the only type of toxicity i mainly encounter is people having a grudge against someone in OOC and then doing everything they can in character to get them demoted or in trouble or jail. it gets out of hand or just doing the odd thing to spite someone. and i could bring up multiple cases but i won't say who they are but it is really bad

Just now, Vanbar said:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz yall gonna get fucked in the upcoming r6 tourney anyway

trueee zzzzzzzzzzzzzz snoozeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Downvote 1
4 minutes ago, Imposing said:

trueee zzzzzzzzzzzzzz snoozeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

6 minutes ago, Vanbar said:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz yall gonna get fucked in the upcoming r6 tourney anyway

Ill rejoin the community to fuck both you up EASYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

• Downvote 1
Just now, Phobia said:

Ill rejoin the community to fuck both you up EASYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Are you even known in the garrys mod community?

• Downvote 1

Toxicity is something I know way to much, dishing it out and received Although I was never really toxic to players in face I did talk a lot shit in other peoples DMs but I have experienced a lot of it directed towards me (probably should of recorded these conversations)

I haven’t really been involved in any toxicity in the past few months but I have observed it and noticed that its been dished out mostly towards younger players and players with higher pitched voices. The server and gaming culture in general has a problem with toxicity towards those two groups, even when they done nothing to receive it. This often leads to them becoming bitter and acting out causing this toxicity directed at them to become worse and worse. I very much have been this younger higher pitched player.

• Agree 1
On 1/5/2021 at 3:58 PM, Higashi said:

'Petty' AOS' - We've all seen them at least once, and the pettiness comes down to the people who view the AOS, whether it be their friend, IC comrade or whatnot, but the generalized distinction between Petty and not Petty is clear to see to most people.

Would tell shock this back in the day: If you are a higher up and you can gather that an AOS is petty or a waste of time, you have full right to remove it. If there's a problem, you bring it up with IHC and, if its legitimate, they will back you up. Don't know how it goes now but I imagine its the same. @Bailey is right, people need to take a step back and just enjoy the game while not impeding the enjoyment of others.

Edited by Braino

I'm just wondering, if it is okay to deal with certain aspect of toxicness in rp ways? for example uh a thing i've faced quiet a lot since joining but don't want to piss anyone off by running to my partner every time it happens,  is a bit of sexism i think? this ranging from every time i type in ooc someone replying with 'gamer girl' or some shit instead of adding anything useful to the conversation, to people straight up approaching my character in game and begging me to follow them/come to their bunks and following me around for an extended period of time. One of the rp ways we handled the later was for example being followed and the situation being stepped in on when the other person started taking the rp too far or just being a straight up ass, based on what youve posted it sounds like this is the wrong way to handle it, but considering it is something being roleplayed out and not just ooc comments, i wanted to clarify whether or not this was the right way to handle these situations?

13 hours ago, ArdatLile said:

I'm just wondering, if it is okay to deal with certain aspect of toxicness in rp ways? for example uh a thing i've faced quiet a lot since joining but don't want to piss anyone off by running to my partner every time it happens,  is a bit of sexism i think? this ranging from every time i type in ooc someone replying with 'gamer girl' or some shit instead of adding anything useful to the conversation, to people straight up approaching my character in game and begging me to follow them/come to their bunks and following me around for an extended period of time. One of the rp ways we handled the later was for example being followed and the situation being stepped in on when the other person started taking the rp too far or just being a straight up ass, based on what youve posted it sounds like this is the wrong way to handle it, but considering it is something being roleplayed out and not just ooc comments, i wanted to clarify whether or not this was the right way to handle these situations?

The way you 'dealt' with it didnt really make a whole lot of sense to me? Idk I may have just read this wrong, but you structured your response very weirdly. On the other note, if a player is being toxic in an Roleplay sense then it's completely fine in my view, because as long as they're roleplaying as a toxic character, they understand the consequences and are prepared for them, what isn't ok is when you try to hide OOC toxicity, strife, spite or anything as an In character situation, and gets off with it without the need for explanation.

On 1/5/2021 at 3:28 PM, Higashi said:

• 'Petty' AOS' - We've all seen them at least once, and the pettiness comes down to the people who view the AOS, whether it be their friend, IC comrade or whatnot, but the generalized distinction between Petty and not Petty is clear to see to most people.
    • Disrespect: This one takes up a majority of the AOS' and in some cases it is legitimately justified to put on someone, when a trooper blatantly slanders a higherup or high command position its generally not looked down upon, when it does become a problem is when people instigate things with a quick comment and hope for the other person to say something back (which they nearly always do). I'm trying not to throw shade, but ive seen this done alot by SEC regiments, whether it be just a bit of banter or not, its not fun when you disrespect someone and immediately expect to be exempt to getting away from it.
    • How to resolve: Don't try to instigate conflict for your own amusement, for your comrades amusement or because you have nothing to do. Furthermore, what I dont see being done, and what I HAVENT done myself, is actually talk one on one with the party that issued to AOS, 9 times out of 10, it clears it up, albeit with a warning.

There are other ways that AOS are abused to create toxicity. For example I seen a ST be assaulted by a senior member of the community(they punched the ST a few times after the ST enquired about joining there reg), rightly that ST placed an AOS on said members of the community then in retaliation the AOSed person placed a AOS on the ST for “harassment”. Like the reasonable person the ST was he went to shock to try to get the situation sorted out, do you know the other person did at the time, hid for half an hour then DCed. This poor ST has to wait in the brig for 30 minutes waiting for the other person to be caught just to be told the other person had DCed. Mind you the person who DCed was a CL3 and was over level 100 so they would of known that doing it would be against IC and OOC rules 

• 4 months later...

Its a good thing i came across this thread, since joining the server and joining Shock ive encountered a few toxic moments which ive tried to avoid, which can get me a bit annoyed, but when i log on everynight, everynight is a new night, and everyone has the right to choose there decisions in game wisely, how you act in RP can and will affect those around you in a positive/negative manner, which is why when an AOS is called and i cant find the target, ill go find the person that put the AOS out and gather as much evidence as i can to decide whether it was RP/ or Mingy OOC, and alot of the times it is within RP and ill go find the AOS'd individual. Ive only had one instance where it was OOC and that person is now temporarily banned.

So kudos to those that RP to the best of your ability and given the situation, it sure makes me happy interacting with you.