The Conundrum of Civilians

Untitled.png.b2622fd3ab562860da90e364b75ff019.png

If you've been on a rotation map with a civilian town on it, you probably have also noticed something that many others have noticed as well; civilians, or the lack of thereof. 

Lets analyse the problem a bit.
Not many players these days request themselves to be set to a civilian. This of course leads to the issue of a lack of civilians, a lack of roleplay or life in the towns of our rotation maps. Why is this the case? I have a few ideas in mind. 

Players don't want to shirk away from their duties within their regiment.
This is completely understandable in virtually all cases. If you are dedicated to your regiment and you actively want to see it shine, you won't ask to get set to a different role when you can be in your own regiment instead. On paper, you would also have more to do as a member of your regiment than be a civilian in a town. That brings us to the next idea.

Players believe that there is nothing to do as a civilian.
Personally, I don't believe that this is true. There is a lot to do as a civilian from being a shopkeeper, a bartender, a security guard, a drug dealer, and everything in between. It is effectively a ticket to become a passive event character without the need of having an event master breathe down your neck. However, I do understand that a lot of players find difficulty in finding roleplay as a civilian. Which brings us to the last and prime idea.

Players aren't aware how to or aren't interested in roleplaying as a civilian.
Many players believe that roleplay outside of events during downtime or roleplay outside of combat in general is a completely unfathomable concept. Many will believe that roleplaying as a civilian is a boring alternative to their primary role as a trooper or ISB agent or inquisitor or whatever they are. Sometimes, when some players decide to request to be a civilian they use that as a chance to minge and/or RDM without having their main character punished.

--

As someone who has done my fair share of civilian RP on the server—simple roles such as a moisture farmer or a jawa trader, to the more unique roles such as a member of the galactic mafia, a psychotic scavenger with a few screws loose, or a droid cowboy acting as sherrif—I am a strong believer that the civilian role is the best role on the server when it comes to passive roleplay. Being a civilian undoubtedly provides the most creative liberty anyone can have in a role. Looking at the aforementioned list, there isn't a single role that requires you to have staff powers or access to PAC3 or anything a regular user wouldn't have (Other than maybe a staff ticket or two, something that anyone can do).

Star Wars is a large universe. As a civilian, you're given the opportunity to explore that side of roleplay on the server and become anyone from anywhere in the Star Wars Galaxy. The moderation team and the EM team is always there to help if you're unsure of what you can or can't do, or if you need to be given a model or loadout that suits your RP requirements.

This thread was made to hopefully be a catalyst for discussion on the matter.

It was also made as an invitation for us all to consider the civilian role.

• Upvote 1

One of the big problems I find when playing as a Civilian is that when I try to interact with Imperials, the immediate response is "Fuck off Civilian." or I'm arrested and held for hours on end waiting for someone to come interrogate me for information I don't have.

People need to actually just treat civilians like normal players rather than NPC's that can be bullied and fucked with constantly.

• Upvote 2

The civilian role is seen as a mingy way of letting off steam in most cases, I barely see anyone roleplaying to a moderate degree and are only there because they want to take a break from their regiment for a bit, and as Bailey said, being a civillian basically puts a target on your back, where even if you haven't done anything you'll be required to put up with imperials essentially destroying your building or bar.

There are unique cases of actual roleplay and genuine fun being had by certain people, but its hard to push people into a role they:

- Dont want to be in

- Will find no enjoyment in

- Will simply just get ignored, abused or disrespected.

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, Bailey said:

One of the big problems I find when playing as a Civilian is that when I try to interact with Imperials, the immediate response is "Fuck off Civilian." or I'm arrested and held for hours on end waiting for someone to come interrogate me for information I don't have.

People need to actually just treat civilians like normal players rather than NPC's that can be bullied and fucked with constantly.

Agreed, I'd say civ suffers the same fate that BH does, which is there's always a big chance of being force rped and being held in a cell for 2 hours

10 hours ago, Kristofer said:

a drug dealer

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

But in all seriousness, as someone who's current full-time RP character started as a civilian smuggler that I made to give SEC some extra RP (that failed miserably because apparently sneaking boxes of drugs and explosives into ISB offices on Anaxes didn't warrant an investigation at all lmao) Civs CAN be an amazing way to add extra passive rp between events, especially for those who just stand around doing nothing 80% of the time.

But as others have said, and maybe its just the mindset of how imperials were very no-nonsense, but civs are treated really badly so some days they can be pretty unfun to play.  I get that's the whole point and why the rebellion even is a thing in the first place, but imo there should also be a sense of, "we are imperial citizens, your job is to protect us from the terrorists and droids." instead of "we are imperial citizens, why are you gunning all of us down in the street because of one person that might have done something wrong?" 

1 hour ago, Shepard said:

Agreed, I'd say civ suffers the same fate that BH does, which is there's always a big chance of being force rped and being held in a cell for 2 hours

Hey Bounty Hunter, what are you doing?

Nothing, just about to get food at the Mess Hall.

The Grand Admiral's in the Mess Hall, he's got a hit! ARREST HIM!

2 hours ago, Lucky said:

"we are imperial citizens, your job is to protect us from the terrorists and droids." instead of "we are imperial citizens, why are you gunning all of us down in the street because of one person that might have done something wrong?" 

I agree with this a lot. 

Imperial soldiers weren't all xenophobic bigots who enjoyed doing war crimes every second day and had the same exact views as each other. 

Many stormtroopers in the Empire joined because they wanted to make things right for themselves, provide to a family, find a future.

• Upvote 1