Hi everyone, as I’m sure many of you are aware, Imperial Gaming currently has a system in place that can be used to get the Steam ID’s of all players who are online on the server. This is what has been primarily used by regiments in order to create their spreadsheets to track hours and statuses of members.

While this system works well, the Dev Team is looking at expanding this functionality into something more closely resembling a fully-fledged Web API. This new Imperial Gaming API would potentially offer users the ability make requests to different endpoints, each offering different types of user metrics and data.

At this point in time this concept is still sitting in the ‘ideas box’ so to speak, so we’re really interested to hear back from the community to see what sort of things you guys would like to see. One of the main things we’re looking at doing is changing the return type of the data from a single, long string of Steam ID’s that need to be split up to the more ‘standard’ JSON format. This allows for a great amount of flexibility and possibility for expansion and use of the data across a varied array of applications. For example, the most obvious use would continue to be people using it to track their regiment members on the server. However, the dev team could also use this new API for projects such as data visualisation and tracking tools – think of something along the lines of the IG database page. If you wanted to get super creative you could go so far as to make entire desktop applications with their own user management systems for your regiment, using our API as a mock database of sorts.

Another thing we’ve thought of as requiring a standard implementation of would potentially be a user hours tracker. Currently, spreadsheet owners, in order to track the hours of their regiment members, need to handle this themselves. However, what if instead of having to implement this yourself you just make a request to the API and it returns the users current active session time?

Like I said, we’re really eager to hear back from the community with this one, as it’s the sort of thing that’s pointless if it doesn’t do what the people who would use it want it to. If you’re someone who manages your regiments spreadsheets, I encourage you to get in contact with me. I’d be more than happy to have a chat on teamspeak, exchange a quick few messages on discord, or just leave a comment on this thread.

On behalf of the dev team, I’d just like to thank you in advance for your feedback, and we look forward to hearing from you.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Poggers 1
  • Upvote 6
  • 4 months later...