New Community Team +others

IG | Home

New Community Team/s // And some other stuff maybe

Disclaimer: This, like nearly all my other posts are suggestions and inquiries, I am merely pitching my idea to the community and staff team at large and am no way signifying any drama or discord between the community, I encourage any and all to give actual feedback or input in the comments below as, even if you are entirely against I would love to hear your feedback. Furthermore, while some of these suggestions may not be needed right now, or in the close future, this post forms to keep the idea at the back of the communities mind in the case that it is ever wanted/needed.

Community Moderation:

Something at the back of my mind thats really annoying is community moderation, now I've talked to several community members and staff about moderation and I've gotten half of the same opinions back and the other half a clump of random rants, very insightful. Now I know that community moderation is easily filled by other staff, whether that be Administrators+ on the forums and general staff in TS3, and me being fathomably dense I dont actually know the moderation level on the either servers, whether its high and Bailey occassionally needs help from other staff or its so low that Bailey has no problem dealing with it himself.

Both Forum Moderator & TS3 Moderator seem like a nifty idea, but one that I think is probably going to be kept to the back of the forums suggestion pool until there is a massive influx of users where it would need a certain level of moderation, but as Defranco says; I pass the question off to you, Do you think Community Moderation would be a good idea? Ill add some pros and cons that I can list out of the top of my head.

Pros:

• Stable community moderation (Probably is already idk)
  • Shared dispersement of responsibilities (Lightens the load as it were)
  • More simplified structure, Forum and TS3 Assistants turn into moderators underneath Bailey.

Cons:

• Why? Everything smooth sailing right now?
  • Staff fit the role perfectly
  • Very low moderation required.
  • Bailey would need to train people in the ways HE wants things to be done - added useless things

Other stuff

Discord Server:

Yes I know, but this is why this is a suggestion thread, so I can at least suggest it. I have talked to Lucky and other people about a Imperial Gaming discord server, and its to my understanding that it has been tried before but never really bore fruit. The closest there is, is probably the Training Discord, where its currently restricted to in game CL2+ I think? A multitude of platforms within a community could be beneficial but may also spread the line a bit too thin, which is probably why we primarily use TS3 for communication purposes and forums for the rest of the announcements, but a discord for people to actually get notified on the go, with active hubs within the discord to keep the community informed on time as well. a few of these may include.

• Hideyoshi's server tracker 
  • Dev Showcase
    • A channel where the upcoming/present content may be advertised in forms of videos and pictures
  • Changelog
    • A webhook to github or your CP, (Idk if you use Pterodactyl or not) to update the community on changes.
    • You can set these to private if its very secret
  • Community Announcements
  • Server Announcements
    • An IHC//server channel to keep other people outside of the Training discord notified, whether that be from rule changes, army changes, staff promotions etc.

Removal of Twitch Streamer sub category

Its come to a point where the category itself is barely used and the posts and applications on it are dismal, I think that a direct request/google application form to management could replace this category easily, with all the information found on one little neat form. Having an entire application to advertise the server on twitch is understandable in a certain sense, as you want to probably protect your image, but alot of effort if you look at it from an outside perspective.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally I just want to say again that most of this posts suggestions and inquiries may not be needed now or for the near future, but may serve to better moderate/benefit the community at large in the far off future, these are cool nifty ideas, at least I think so that I would love for people to discuss or provide feedback on, even if its just a sole disagreement.

Sneak peak into my later posts - Questline rework w/added stuff, donation tree suggestion. :)))

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Upvote 1

To begin, I'll break down each part of this individually so I can get my thoughts down in an actual structured manner rather than going back and forth with "this good this bad".

New Community Team - More Website & Teamspeak Moderation
There are a few problems with allowing people to apply for roles that have the amount of power that Website Moderator, Teamspeak Admin (or a less powerful role that could hypothetically be created) is that if someone leaves the community on bad terms they can do massive irreversable damage. If I wanted to, at the moment, I could cripple / delete the forums, completely delete the teamspeak, as well as delete the donation store. This would fuck the community over for a few days to a week with the man power that we have, but it is really frustrating to try and reverse, as well as would take multiple people a lot of hours to do.

At the moment, I don't trust anyone but Kumo to be able to properly go into AdminCP and not fuck something up or touch a setting they're not supposed to. This goes for Management as well, but with their position, they need access to this type of power in case I'm not available (asleep, at work, etc.) and usually the fuck ups they make are easily reversable by pressing a button or changing a setting back. The same goes for Teamspeak, though most of Management know enough about teamspeak permissions that they can make roles / edit them with relative ease, and if they need my help they just ask for it and I give it.

As you said in your post, we're smooth sailing at the moment and there isn't really much of a need for anyone else to jump onto the general community administration and moderation side of things due to the amount of people we have that already have access to it. All of Management (7 people), the Advisors (4 people) as well as the Admin team (Stathi, Luigi, Siege & Gusky) have access to ModCP or above on the forums and are able to get rid of content that violates the rules.

Teamspeak is largely the same with all of Management and a majority of the Advisors with the Teamspeak Admin tag, once again, its a tad redundant to add more people to the mix.

Community Discord Server
I have suggested this before and actually think it would be a good way for members of the community to connect with each other easily, this is where I could see the need for extra moderation since discord is extremely fast paced and can quickly get heated with debates and topics. If done correctly, it could be a good place to connect the community (which means no NSFW channel) at large. There is already a Staff / Dev / Media Team / Support Team Discord, but the reason its not public is because there was never a need for it to be and it replaced our group steam chat (which sucked ass).

Removal of Twitch Streamer Category
Agreed, this was an unnecessary add to the forums and the community in my opinion.

Thank you for the suggestions, I like it when the forums gets used for stuff like this because it leaves room for debate and suggestion in the comments and we get our money's worth.

Kind regards,

- Bailey

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Higashi said:

Good concept, not well thought out? I guess it was just to recognise and promote those in our community who stream.

Media Team

The media team is being re-introduced and is being headed by @Splonter. The applications will go up as soon as I've posted this post but they include filmers, editors, writers and streamers. Graphic designers will remain apart of the development team but I look forward to seeing what can be created within the team!

Here it's explained as a part of the Media Team? But with a separate forum category is it a sub-group?

Just make streamer and appliable role in the Media Team?

5 hours ago, Bailey said:

If I wanted to, at the moment, I could cripple / delete the forums, completely delete the teamspeak, as well as delete the donation store.

Who gave this mans that much power

5 hours ago, Bailey said:

To begin, I'll break down each part of this individually so I can get my thoughts down in an actual structured manner rather than going back and forth with "this good this bad".

New Community Team - More Website & Teamspeak Moderation
There are a few problems with allowing people to apply for roles that have the amount of power that Website Moderator, Teamspeak Admin (or a less powerful role that could hypothetically be created) is that if someone leaves the community on bad terms they can do massive irreversable damage. If I wanted to, at the moment, I could cripple / delete the forums, completely delete the teamspeak, as well as delete the donation store. This would fuck the community over for a few days to a week with the man power that we have, but it is really frustrating to try and reverse, as well as would take multiple people a lot of hours to do.

While I do agree with alot of what you have said I think that any staff member on this community could cause alot and I mean alot of damage if they truly wanted to. The same thing could be said about community members for that matter, nowadays its not hard to hire someone to ddoss a site or even a server, same shit happened to moat and on meepens server (big US TTT servers). Server staff could ban or cause alot of mischief that may take a long time to clean up after, whether that be from ooc situations to actual IC situations where it would both take a while to clean up as I said before.

My reasoning behind the community moderation was not for people to have access to the adminCP or mishape the TS3 or forums in a way that may cause alot of damage, but for community members to help out in areas where they apply for, similar to how the support and developer team operate, a dispersed moderation team with limited power (Not overwhelming godlike forum powers like you yourself have) that could actually do a good job and possibly spread the workload for the near future.

Also to add onto my discord point, the community moderation would sometimes need to be key with debates and off topic angry discussions, and could as well be a branch off of community moderation. I feel a discord is well deserving of a place on IG without treading too much on TS3's toes.

I'd be down for an actual community discord server. 
Owned by management, staffed by discord staff selected from the Imperial RP Staff team. 

Like Bailey said, if done well it can create a great connection within the community.

No NSFW channels. 

• Agree 2
On 11/9/2020 at 3:19 PM, Higashi said:
  • A webhook to github or your CP, (Idk if you use Pterodactyl or not) to update the community on changes.

Server doesn't use a version control system. Pterodactyl or wtf streamline uses doesn't have CI iirc

• Sad 1
On 11/9/2020 at 4:19 PM, Higashi said:

IG | Home

New Community Team/s // And some other stuff maybe

Disclaimer: This, like nearly all my other posts are suggestions and inquiries, I am merely pitching my idea to the community and staff team at large and am no way signifying any drama or discord between the community, I encourage any and all to give actual feedback or input in the comments below as, even if you are entirely against I would love to hear your feedback. Furthermore, while some of these suggestions may not be needed right now, or in the close future, this post forms to keep the idea at the back of the communities mind in the case that it is ever wanted/needed.

Community Moderation:

Something at the back of my mind thats really annoying is community moderation, now I've talked to several community members and staff about moderation and I've gotten half of the same opinions back and the other half a clump of random rants, very insightful. Now I know that community moderation is easily filled by other staff, whether that be Administrators+ on the forums and general staff in TS3, and me being fathomably dense I dont actually know the moderation level on the either servers, whether its high and Bailey occassionally needs help from other staff or its so low that Bailey has no problem dealing with it himself.

Both Forum Moderator & TS3 Moderator seem like a nifty idea, but one that I think is probably going to be kept to the back of the forums suggestion pool until there is a massive influx of users where it would need a certain level of moderation, but as Defranco says; I pass the question off to you, Do you think Community Moderation would be a good idea? Ill add some pros and cons that I can list out of the top of my head.

Pros:

• Stable community moderation (Probably is already idk)
  • Shared dispersement of responsibilities (Lightens the load as it were)
  • More simplified structure, Forum and TS3 Assistants turn into moderators underneath Bailey.

Cons:

• Why? Everything smooth sailing right now?
  • Staff fit the role perfectly
  • Very low moderation required.
  • Bailey would need to train people in the ways HE wants things to be done - added useless things

Other stuff

Discord Server:

Yes I know, but this is why this is a suggestion thread, so I can at least suggest it. I have talked to Lucky and other people about a Imperial Gaming discord server, and its to my understanding that it has been tried before but never really bore fruit. The closest there is, is probably the Training Discord, where its currently restricted to in game CL2+ I think? A multitude of platforms within a community could be beneficial but may also spread the line a bit too thin, which is probably why we primarily use TS3 for communication purposes and forums for the rest of the announcements, but a discord for people to actually get notified on the go, with active hubs within the discord to keep the community informed on time as well. a few of these may include.

• Hideyoshi's server tracker 
  • Dev Showcase
    • A channel where the upcoming/present content may be advertised in forms of videos and pictures
  • Changelog
  • Community Announcements
  • Server Announcements
    • An IHC//server channel to keep other people outside of the Training discord notified, whether that be from rule changes, army changes, staff promotions etc.

Its come to a point where the category itself is barely used and the posts and applications on it are dismal, I think that a direct request/google application form to management could replace this category easily, with all the information found on one little neat form. Having an entire application to advertise the server on twitch is understandable in a certain sense, as you want to probably protect your image, but alot of effort if you look at it from an outside perspective.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally I just want to say again that most of this posts suggestions and inquiries may not be needed now or for the near future, but may serve to better moderate/benefit the community at large in the far off future, these are cool nifty ideas, at least I think so that I would love for people to discuss or provide feedback on, even if its just a sole disagreement.

Sneak peak into my later posts - Questline rework w/added stuff, donation tree suggestion. :)))

I feel like I have seen a very similar post to this in another community :o

OT: I feel like online communitys are all about power, and management and all that type of doo da. And after reading this post and seeing multiple Gmod communitys I have confirmed this, so to me this just looks like another power rant tbh

Edited by Larko
16 minutes ago, Larko said:

I feel like I have seen a very similar post to this in another community :o

OT: I feel like online communitys are all about power, and management and all that type of doo da. And after reading this post and seeing multiple Gmod communitys I have confirmed this, so to me this just looks like another power rant tbh

People have their own opinions and perceptions, Im not going to argue your point, all I can say is I disagree and think you're wrong Larko but lovely to see you.

• Like 1