Fortification ideas & thoughts

What to do  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What shall ENG do going forward for fortifications?

• Business as usual - keep the stuff we got.
    • Make simple barricades or light checkpoints.
    • Try to mesh simplicity with the grandiose design of the current lot.

G'day lads and ladettes,

I been trying to give some thought into some fortifications and barricades for the ISD and even some of the rotation maps like Titan Base for when events and simulations occur, but I am not entirely sure on both where they should be placed or how big they should be. (as I don't want to stretch the prop count too far) As you might know we currently have reactor and engine fortifications which are made by yours truly and recently started on a rudimentary one for tramlines. If you got any ideas for any fortifications around your area or just in general you can throw your two cents in here, you can also give some feedback on the fortifications that are currently being used, they'll be attached to this topic.

Also to facilitate RP, I've been trying to make sure that if the fortifications (especially the smaller barricades) be hit by a few explosions or excessive fire that parts of the fortification be dislodged or destroyed, so they do have some durability factor to them, if you don't think this is a good idea I can scrap it if need be.

Cheers in advance :D

20201109122112_1.jpg

20201109122121_1.jpg

20201109122141_1.jpg

20201109122307_1.jpg

20201109122318_1.jpg

20201109122329_1.jpg

Edited by Cammers
Added a poll from feedback.

Before I start the fortifications look very good and clean so well done on that however, if I was an EC and ran into these I'd most likely be mildly infuriated cause it looks like its just easier for people to block those door ways. The Doors only seem to need 2 people at max to block off. I get the idea is easily secure areas but it comes at a cost for events, all you need is 1 heavy with their shield out, 1 support and 3-4 troopers and it makes life hell for EC's, which once again I understand that EC's are there to provide RP for the rest of the server but how much fun is it for the rest of the server to just have wave after wave in the same spots cause EC's can't pass. EC's getting to vital areas such as Engine, reactor, bridge and so on create more RP for everyone else on the server.

I think there could be a balance that you can strike that will let EC's to have a chance of getting to these areas while also having it so it isn't an open area for troopers to get mowed down. You could also use these during DEFCON 5 a thought that comes to mind was ISB having an ID checkpoint around Tarkin's law board where it was like customs.

All in all I think its a good idea that was probably dialled up to 11 when it didn't need to be.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Twist said:

if I was an EC and ran into these I'd most likely be mildly infuriated cause it looks like its just easier for people to block those door ways

The people who usually guard this area on third floor that stand in the doorway and it's usually VF who does that they usually die in about 10 at most or less so I wouldn't really say it's infuriating for them.

11 minutes ago, Twist said:

I think there could be a balance that you can strike that will let EC's to have a chance of getting to these areas

I mean there are many routes to avoid such as engine room you can just go through the vents and use the keycard door and I'm pretty sure ecs have access to those doors. Even if they did get past the checkpoint they can hardly ever make it to the reactor room since the elevator in engine room is usually always called up. 

8 minutes ago, Twist said:

The Doors only seem to need 2 people at max to block off. I get the idea is easily secure areas but it comes at a cost for events, all you need is 1 heavy with their shield out,

This only works for third floor but the ecs can easily just go into the third floor bunks and entirely avoid that shield blocking off the area. 

Fortifications are cool as shit, don't get me wrong, but as an EM (not that i've been one for a while) these fortifications are impossible to balance and factor into events. Twist said it all, but making a fortification that's near impossible to shoot into when its easy to shoot out is known as "keyholing" and in GMod is SUPER OP since GMod guns suck cock. So while fortifications are useful and cool for Engineers to build, maybe they should be simple walls and barricades that are feasably possible for someone to build in the time it would take for a boarding party to arrive.

3 hours ago, Twist said:

if I was an EC and ran into these I'd most likely be mildly infuriated cause it looks like its just easier for people to block those door ways. The Doors only seem to need 2 people at max to block off. I get the idea is easily secure areas but it comes at a cost for events

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

as an EM (not that i've been one for a while) these fortifications are impossible to balance and factor into events.

Taken into account, started up a small poll on the topic for others to pop in their responses and we could maybe do something about it, so we can facilitate RP between ECs and such, cause I definitely see your points, but I do like how things are as some ECs seem to shred the usual trooper dependant on loadout. Cheers fellas :)

• Agree 1

This is just me, but if I see someone in the doorway of 3rd Floor wanting ID that isn't an 81st Trooper, I'm not about to comply. I will strafe around the doors until I get in, then I'll just leave because it's boring.

6 minutes ago, Yuri said:

This is just me, but if I see someone in the doorway of 3rd Floor wanting ID that isn't an 81st Trooper, I'm not about to comply. I will strafe around the doors until I get in, then I'll just leave because it's boring.

/me brings out the aos menu

• Sad 1
33 minutes ago, Yuri said:

Yeah, only SK or ISB are meant to do such thing unless it's going into COMPNOR or IHCA I think...

• Agree 1

Be sure that builds make sense in RP. 
How can an engineer whip out an entire heavy checkpoint out of no where? Is it some sort of pop-up foldable device? 

Here's a suggestion, right, can create some pretty sick RP. 
Rather than spawning in a dupe at original location the moment the DEFCON switches to 4, maybe do some RP where engineers run back and forth carrying crates of equipment to build fortifications with? 

To add on to that, maybe make it an exact OOC rule that RP needs to occur behind placing down dupes (Outside of trainings and tryouts), you need engineers (or at least proper equipment and materials) to construct things. I think it'll be a lot more engaging for engineers if they need to actively carry equipment around and RP setting things up while the army defends them. 

I might trial this idea in an event. 

• Agree 2
2 hours ago, Kristofer said:

Here's a suggestion, right, can create some pretty sick RP. 
Rather than spawning in a dupe at original location the moment the DEFCON switches to 4, maybe do some RP where engineers run back and forth carrying crates of equipment to build fortifications with? 

Very good idea Kris.

Usually we put our large fortifications up the moment we hit DEFCON III, but I reckon to incorporate your idea when the DEFCON is IV and the event is a ship one, engineers could spawn crates of parts for the forts inside the engineer storage room and each crate could be around 10-20 props worth, so how many crates required would be determined by the prop count of the build.

We could actually have a use for the engineer storage room then finally.

@Delta @crofty what do you think?

Edited by Cammers