Jump to content

Sub-regiments would be cool idea


Recommended Posts

Hey I know this is a really far fetched idea and it would be really hard to implement so I just wanna write it down as an idea here.

My idea is for instead of just CL2 heavy and support which is in my opinion really restrictive on who can be in it and honestly just boring, Having regimental specific squads that are still technically in the regiment but just operate under a different motive/purpose.

These Sub-regiments would basically serve a slightly altered purpose to the main regiment but still be similar enough to be in the same regiment. A good example would be lets say Shock having a different group for trackers whos job it is to handle the massifs and fly around in patrol crafts under shock/cop like matters. Another example could be a Sub-regiment for navy where they serve as a security or offensive role under the control of the navy, just guarding navy specific areas and maybe still doing the jobs a regular navy would do, While different they're still linked and close enough to be technically the same regiment.

Hell we could even just merge some regiments into others, Like maybe nova combining with shock. This idea is a little out there but I think with enough planning it could work.

All of these ideas are a little extreme so I think another idea could be adding ARF or ARC troopers where they act like support except just with the removal of clearance level restrictions. (also remove clearance level restrictions on heavy and support)

This whole idea is really stemming from the fact that I think there's just too many different regiments that basically act the same and could really just be cut down so it would make reg hopping a lot more rare and just be a fun experience, making each reg even more complex.

 

I don't really expect any of these ideas to be added I just thought I'd be a fun idea to write out 

Edited by Bluehat
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pyro said:

I like the sound of it I know other servers do this and it works pretty well like there's a CO of the sub reg and then rest are just normal troopers

Yeah I was thinking of maybe a squad commander who ordered squad specific missions or just was in charge of the sqaud when the CO is doing other stuff, But I think the regimental CO should overpower all squad commanders in terms of power

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well here is how i would see it.

there is like 10 SK and a division of 5 riot

6 MT and a division of 4 rescue

ST and a division of 10 scout troopers.

i like the idea. and i do like the concept but i just don't quite understand how it would work

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Clover said:

Well here is how i would see it.

there is like 10 SK and a division of 5 riot

6 MT and a division of 4 rescue

ST and a division of 10 scout troopers.

i like the idea. and i do like the concept but i just don't quite understand how it would work

since I was mostly just trying to get the idea out there quick I'll try and go into more depth

 

Every single regiment will have at least 1 squad of 3 or so (depending on max amount of people in the reg and how many people are currently in the reg) and each of these sub regiments will be unique to the regiment so that means no overlapping, These can be anything as long as they are related to the original regiment

 

btw being a regular member of the regiment is also a possibility

Edited by Bluehat
Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I love the idea of there being less regiments but more sub-roles within said regiments and have been tossing the idea around a lot recently. A system like this would provide a lot of benefits to army as a whole IMO. With each regiment having a base loadout and having around 40-50% of their slots being divided into different units who are given different equipment or roles to help the entire regiment in missions. A system like this would need to have a centralized chain of command to fully benefit from the new units within a regiment, with officers within a regiment having authority over troopers in all units. This would also make it much more enjoyable for individuals within a regiment as if they grow tired or burnt out of their role they could attempt to switch into one of these units to get a change in equipment and role but keep the bonds they created in said regiment. Additionally you would have the dynamic of allowing people to have a similar role but having different equipment to get the job done which I think is a great idea (i.e. sending a group of 6 Nova troopers on a mission but one of them has a shield, one has flashbangs and one has cloak.), enabling commanders to put more thought on the placement and role of their troopers within missions to best suit what troopers they have available at the time. Within the past few months there's been a few brainstorms from myself with the assistance of the rest of IHC on what such a system could look like. (if anyone actually cares I can post these brainstorms here if you want)

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to be posting two of my brainstorms/documents here, feel free to provide any feedback that you have regarding them or an agree/disagree on my post. but I would first and foremost like to state that none of the following changes and ideas I present will NOT be happening so there's no need for concern.

Idea #1

Before you read the document I just want to attempt to explain some elements that may be confusing or appear unclear:
-Each Commander (LTCOL-BRIG) and Second In Command (Captain/Major) must be in the 'Base Loadout' of each regiment to avoid certain groups getting preferential treatment.
-Each unit/sub-regiment is commanded by a Lieutenant and to progress to Captain/Major must transition to the 'Base Regiment'.
-In order to join a unit within a regiment you must first initially join the base regiment and pass the units individualized tryouts.
-Individuals are able to transition between the units in a regiment with a no rank demotion at the discretion of the Commanding Officer.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MnQZVBfQUIf6DMy9J8D9G3vnppvOw99u0cxoLkRMpAw/edit?usp=sharing

My Thoughts
I personally think a system like this would be interesting with the introduction of a centralized chain of command system as every officer within a regiment having direct responsibility over a smaller group of individuals allowing them to prepare for a CO or 2IC position whilst also allowing them to have limited authority over all troopers in a broader group. With each unit receiving individual equipment it will be up to the units Lieutenant to train their group in their niche. This would also allow Commanding Officers to begin to prepare themselves to take up a High Command position, allowing them to practice micromanaging groups with different equipment to the best of their ability. Each regiment was designed having a broad focus with the units being designed to strengthen their ability to do so. My train of thought was for the six regiments to have the following roles:
-Stormtroopers as Reinforcements and Versatile forces
-The 501st Legion being an offensively based regiment
-Shore troopers being a defensively based regiment
-Nova troopers being focused in boarding and Special Operations
-Scout troopers focusing on scouting and reconnaissance
-Shock Troopers maintaining their current role as security  

Though this system is not without some detriment with the most notable being the lack of a full medical/support regiment and lack of flexibility allocated to Commanding Officers. My reasoning for removing Medical Troopers is that regimental medics fully integrates them into the RP as a medic and gives them a fallback if no virus/quarantine is happening. Simply put I believe it would give them the best of both worlds allowing them to perform the normal duties of a medic but get to experience regular trooper duties. My other concern with this system is that the units of each regiment steer them in a certain direction, if a CO wants to attempt to change their role it may prove difficult to do so seeing the equipment they are provided.

Idea #2

Once again I'm just going to attempt to explain some unclear elements of the document beforehand:
-Each regiment has 5-6 units listed in the document, however may only have so many active at a time.
-Each regiment's unit cap can be calculating by subtracting the base loadout from the maximum slots (I.E the 501st have 20 slots and VF have 8 so that leaves them with 12 slots, with each unit taking up 4 slots they can have 3 unique units at a time)
-Commanding Officers are able to change the units active at their discretion through conversation with IHC with a cooldown of a 14 days.
-On the right is a list of reserve regiments whom may be swapped out with any of the active regiments at IHC's discretion excluding the 501st, Shock troopers and Stormtroopers.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CiWCxYZ9sNqlf-rYzSKSG8F0tk4P2Knq4MNRCwmxnxk/edit?usp=sharing

My Thoughts
This system would allow Commanding Officers to customize their regiment however they wish which I think adds an interesting dynamic to army as lets say a Commanding Officer believes that their regiment needs more healing they can opt to have a medical unit and two weeks later thinks it would be better to have a heavy detachment it would be possible. I believe this would make army cycle through content at a reasonable rate as more possibilities lay within an regiment and progression is not as linear as before. With the rotation of regiments it allows Army High Command to remove stale or oversaturated regiments with a new one to keep momentum up, additionally it means a persons favorite regiment is always destined to return eventually and it may use units that were not picked by previous Commanding Officers. As such it would be a relatively low effort (after its initially coded) system for Army to cycle through content and maintain interest.

Edited by Theta
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Theta said:

Idea #2

Once again I'm just going to attempt to explain some unclear elements of the document beforehand:
-Each regiment has 5-6 units listed in the document, however may only have so many active at a time.
-Each regiment's unit cap can be calculating by subtracting the base loadout from the maximum slots (I.E the 501st have 20 slots and VF have 8 so that leaves them with 12 slots, with each unit taking up 4 slots they can have 3 unique units at a time)
-Commanding Officers are able to change the units active at their discretion through conversation with IHC with a cooldown of a 14 days.
-On the right is a list of reserve regiments whom may be swapped out with any of the active regiments at IHC's discretion excluding the 501st, Shock troopers and Stormtroopers.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CiWCxYZ9sNqlf-rYzSKSG8F0tk4P2Knq4MNRCwmxnxk/edit?usp=sharing

Good way to do it it can work right if executed properly 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Theta said:

I'm going to be posting two of my brainstorms/documents here, feel free to provide any feedback that you have regarding them or an agree/disagree on my post. but I would first and foremost like to state that none of the following changes and ideas I present will NOT be happening so there's no need for concern.

Idea #1

Before you read the document I just want to attempt to explain some elements that may be confusing or appear unclear:
-Each Commander (LTCOL-BRIG) and Second In Command (Captain/Major) must be in the 'Base Loadout' of each regiment to avoid certain groups getting preferential treatment.
-Each unit/sub-regiment is commanded by a Lieutenant and to progress to Captain/Major must transition to the 'Base Regiment'.
-In order to join a unit within a regiment you must first initially join the base regiment and pass the units individualized tryouts.
-Individuals are able to transition between the units in a regiment with a no rank demotion at the discretion of the Commanding Officer.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MnQZVBfQUIf6DMy9J8D9G3vnppvOw99u0cxoLkRMpAw/edit?usp=sharing

My Thoughts
I personally think a system like this would be interesting with the introduction of a centralized chain of command system as every officer within a regiment having direct responsibility over a smaller group of individuals allowing them to prepare for a CO or 2IC position whilst also allowing them to have limited authority over all troopers in a broader group. With each unit receiving individual equipment it will be up to the units Lieutenant to train their group in their niche. This would also allow Commanding Officers to begin to prepare themselves to take up a High Command position, allowing them to practice micromanaging groups with different equipment to the best of their ability. Each regiment was designed having a broad focus with the units being designed to strengthen their ability to do so. My train of thought was for the six regiments to have the following roles:
-Stormtroopers as Reinforcements and Versatile forces
-The 501st Legion being an offensively based regiment
-Shore troopers being a defensively based regiment
-Nova troopers being focused in boarding and Special Operations
-Scout troopers focusing on scouting and reconnaissance
-Shock Troopers maintaining their current role as security  

Though this system is not without some detriment with the most notable being the lack of a full medical/support regiment and lack of flexibility allocated to Commanding Officers. My reasoning for removing Medical Troopers is that regimental medics fully integrates them into the RP as a medic and gives them a fallback if no virus/quarantine is happening. Simply put I believe it would give them the best of both worlds allowing them to perform the normal duties of a medic but get to experience regular trooper duties. My other concern with this system is that the units of each regiment steer them in a certain direction, if a CO wants to attempt to change their role it may prove difficult to do so seeing the equipment they are provided.

Idea #2

Once again I'm just going to attempt to explain some unclear elements of the document beforehand:
-Each regiment has 5-6 units listed in the document, however may only have so many active at a time.
-Each regiment's unit cap can be calculating by subtracting the base loadout from the maximum slots (I.E the 501st have 20 slots and VF have 8 so that leaves them with 12 slots, with each unit taking up 4 slots they can have 3 unique units at a time)
-Commanding Officers are able to change the units active at their discretion through conversation with IHC with a cooldown of a 14 days.
-On the right is a list of reserve regiments whom may be swapped out with any of the active regiments at IHC's discretion excluding the 501st, Shock troopers and Stormtroopers.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CiWCxYZ9sNqlf-rYzSKSG8F0tk4P2Knq4MNRCwmxnxk/edit?usp=sharing

My Thoughts
This system would allow Commanding Officers to customize their regiment however they wish which I think adds an interesting dynamic to army as lets say a Commanding Officer believes that their regiment needs more healing they can opt to have a medical unit and two weeks later thinks it would be better to have a heavy detachment it would be possible. I believe this would make army cycle through content at a reasonable rate as more possibilities lay within an regiment and progression is not as linear as before. With the rotation of regiments it allows Army High Command to remove stale or oversaturated regiments with a new one to keep momentum up, additionally it means a persons favorite regiment is always destined to return eventually and it may use units that were not picked by previous Commanding Officers. As such it would be a relatively low effort (after its initially coded) system for Army to cycle through content and maintain interest.

literally perfect

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Theta said:

which one do you prefer?

I'd prefer #2 because I think it increases versatility of the army. That said the slots for some of the regiments might need to be altered down the line (although they're pretty understandable for our current server population). When it comes to implementation, I can see some issues arising from the fact that it could lead to a few overcap issues (particularly in 501st) but I really like the idea behind it. With more specialised roles, we could theoretically create more roleplay around attaining these roles like having to attend a medical lecture that gives a guide to creating good medical RP and the like. Incentives to stay in the "normal" or base part of the regiment would also obviously need to be present like having lower health or the like. 

The only weakness I can fully see with this concept would be the fact that that medic/heavy units might not be as common as needed depending on how commanders may choose to build their regiments. I'm certain that IHC could mitigate this however, and the problem could be fully solved by mandating a certain amount of support/medics needed across the army or baking medics into the base regiment if needed.

Just as a closing note, the only part about #2 that I feel trepidation towards is how the 501st appears. It would break my heart if IC or SC were switched out at any time. Only thing I could think of that isn't a major switch up would be to increase 501st slots to 24 and make SC and IC permanent additions although it's fully understandable as to why that wouldn't be done. 

Edited by yeff
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, yeff said:

With more specialised roles, we could theoretically create more roleplay around attaining these roles like having to attend a medical lecture that gives a guide to creating good medical RP and the like. Incentives to stay in the "normal" or base part of the regiment would also obviously need to be present like having lower health or the like. 

That's a good idea that I think could be run by the higher ups of the regs (Example: Each commander has to have setup courses needed to complete to get into the specialist classes)

I'd also like to ask @Theta how would you imagine the rank system working if this was implemented and are reserve regiments meant to be just a regiment you could replace with what's proposed or regiments that could be added if needed or desired.

 

(Also has this ever been proposed to management and if so what was the general response)

Edited by Sinatra
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of squads within regiments however I don't think they need to have a separate job code on the server cause that just creates a whole bunch of hassle.

DT have a small subgroup thing where we have 2 squads of 6 people in each. They do weekly trainings within those squads and then we have weekly training outside of that as a whole group. We also have a thing called MOS/Qualifications which include stuff like; Recon, Cyber Ops, ODA, Intel, demo and so on. CL3s can train people who are interested in a specific qualification and they are able to apply their new RP when we go on operations or do training. The whole idea is to create more RP and more things to do. So if any other regiments want to do something I'd implore you to try as I can only see it helping your regiments.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Sinatra said:

how would you imagine the rank system working if this was implemented and are reserve regiments meant to be just a regiment you could replace with what's proposed or regiments that could be added if needed or desired.

The idea behind the reserve regiments is that a regiment can be 'rotated out' at IHC's discretion. i.e. You have Shore troopers as one of the starting 'Active Regiments', a month later they are deemed by IHC inactive or stale and are disbanded then transferred to the 'Reserve Regiment' list. After that Snow troopers or 224th may be moved into the open 'Active Regiment' slot opened up by Shore troopers. With Shore troopers having the possibility to return if another 'Active Regiment' is having extended durations of inactivity. The idea is that you would cycle through different combinations of the same list of regiments.

Edited by Theta
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...