is it worthy to be episode 5?

seeing as @thedumbgirlfriend decided to join the forums we had a chat over dinner tonight discussing my role on the server in more detail and she started asking questions like oh how do you become a general and whatnot, after answering the questions  and having a little more of a discussion. I realized if she was to join the server she would be quite ambitious and power hungry. Her questions mainly focused on the more influential and powerful roles and their own potential.

Now my question to you, and I understand that it depends on the person but, is a hunger for power necessarily bad thing? I feel like it is a personality trait that can be taken negatively but at the same time can lead to ambition and progress which are relatively viewed in a positive light. 

A little bonus question. Do you think you are power hungry and looking for leadership roles or would you rather sit back and be a soldier rather than a leader.

Edited by Setsuna

Its only a bad thing when people view their ambition as a right to ruin other peoples Roleplay, certain regiments weighing in on anything and everything they can to push themselves up and hinder the RP progress of others.

Interesting question. I'd say it's the line of extremes generally any emotion or motivation taken to the extremes is when it turns negative. Being ambitious and striving for more and better is different to a hunger for power. Ambition is wanting to improve and to see how far you can push yourself and what you can achieve which isn't a bad thing. A hunger for power is wanting power for the sake of power for wanting the power and control and no other reason for it. If you have the power and use it for the benefit of others then it's good but power for self gain is ultimately pointless.

As for the bonus question well, as someone in one of those leadership roles and having been in that role for a while. I wouldn't exactly say I was power hungry to get this role I just kind of ended up in it by being in the right place at the right time. Obviously if I didn't want the position I could have rejected the promotions but I do enjoy the position and the RP provides and there was various other reasons for me taking the role. 

16 hours ago, Setsuna said:

A little bonus question. Do you think you are power hungry and looking for leadership roles or would you rather sit back and be a soldier rather than a leader.

pfft no... B)

definitely not.

Being honest I don’t see myself as power hungry, I enjoy pushing my troopers into the part of the pool where they aren’t as comfortable, instead of just following orders, I like to see how they can give them and apply themselves to a situation that lands in their laps.

Spoiler

Joestar, the might pirate of the bridge, he will throw out orders and take them, he’s a mighty one and the lads have a lot of fun when he’s around.

Never seen him power hungry or ignoring someone else’s suggestions for an improvement. (bit of a loud lad, but a lad nonetheless)

(Tinky) Tenky - not one of my troopers - but a mighty lad, he doesn’t want to step on anyone’s toes, but if he has the green-light, he will take a crack and have a mighty one for all the boys in the 81st detachment, he’s good at what he does because I see him put in the most amount of effort he has.

Never seen him power hungry or ignoring someone else’s suggestions for an improvement. (once again another loud lad, but he is wise af and can keep someone on the right track)

Joel, far out, a brilliant commander, a greater mate. He may sound soft spoken, but his words have power, and he can and has kept his regiment happy. He is in charge of 1,098+ troopers, yet I have never seen him crack, or snap at someone, he is cool headed and doesn’t have an ounce of evil in him. (unless he’s an ec then the 81st are in trouble)

Never seen him power hungry or ignoring someone else’s suggestions for an improvement. (known him for quite a while, he’s an amazing dude and I’m happy to be his 2IC)

Matto, a big lad ready to sit back and let others take control, but at the same time being able to hold the boys together so we can get a victory almost every time. I have seen Matto from the shadows over my entirety of Imperial Gaming, and he never ceases to keep things interesting and in-line.

Never seen him power hungry or ignoring someone else’s suggestions for an improvement. (haven’t known him personally for too long, but he’s a great one)

Ghost, another big lad, great ideas, good one to talk with, have a laugh with, always ready to toss new ideas into the mix and see what fits. Ghost is a significant improvement and learning about what he has done on the server was seriously amazing.

Never seen him power hungry or ignoring someone else’s suggestions for an improvement. (fuck, he’s cool)

I am proud to say these mates and all the other lads in 81st are my brothers, and I will stand by them and aid their improvement & time on the server.

TL;DR STC is NOT a squad for power-hungry people, it is a team willing to teach the new players or the returning ones the ropes and make sure they can stay on their feet when they join a regiment.

-sorry if this doesn't exactly apply to the topic

Edited by Yuri

picture it now, you're out working your ass off and your girlfriend is at home playing garrysmod.

on your account...

messing up your character!

just kidding, she'd be a female playing a female, hasn't happened since stitches 

• Thinking 1
  • Haha 2

It depends on the type of person that is looking for power and what their intentions are. If they are looking to get power to flex their massive bear cock then maybe getting a leadership role isn't the best thing for everyone else. If they are looking to get power to keep their cock in their pants and only use it to improve the regiment/whatever for everyone else.

If you apply it to real life, say you are under a project manager that is a complete dipshit or some lazy POS who expects you to bust your ass but won't do anything themselves then in my opinion it isn't unreasonable to go the department head or the overseer and go "This guy fucking useless" (maybe not those words).  But if you do that so you can try and get into the role so you can do nothing then you're just as worse.

Having ambition isn't bad at all its the way you go about it.

tldr if you have the right intentions and know you can do better then it isn't bad.

On the bonus question I like both which is why I like the position I'm in at the moment. Being a soldier is really fun but I also love micro management and trying out new things to improve DT

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Upvote 1

I always wanted a leadership role simply because I wanted to help others with their RP and their character growth, but it made me seem power hungry because I wanted said power/role so I could help.

As old man Twist said, it depends what they want it for.

imo, There's a difference between actively wanting more responsibility and being power hungry, as I've witnessed many times. Everyone is here to have fun and if there is someone trying to kick people out of a role they will eventually gain a negative reputation, its up to them how they want to play that card.

On 11/6/2020 at 11:46 AM, Twist said:

It depends on the type of person that is looking for power and what their intentions are. If they are looking to get power to flex their massive bear cock then maybe getting a leadership role isn't the best thing for everyone else. If they are looking to get power to keep their cock in their pants and only use it to improve the regiment/whatever for everyone else.

Twist explains it well too ^