Thoughts on the current state of Medical troopers by Dane

Intro:

To those that don't know I'm Dane. A returning player who was a medical trooper way back in 2017 and one of the original rescue troopers (medical troopers with more hp + shields). Obviously MT has changed a lot since then however I've noticed some complaints/criticisms of MT that are still the same. As such I thought I'd throw my 2 cents into the mix about Medics and their role on the server.

Basic stuff:
Before getting into a discussion about what kit/abilities MT should have I think its important that all of their existing kit is functional. To that end there are a couple of parts of functionality that are currently lucking in the MT kit.

1. Every medical item is in the #2 equip slot

This is a really basic problem but is incredibly irritating. A medics primary task is healing. The hardest part of the healing should not be cycling through the 2 slot 15 times in combat in order to get bacta/stim or whatnot. There are free equipment slots in the loadout. Put some of the healing stuff on the other slots. Especially the combat healing stuff.

2. Defibs

I'll talk more about defibs later. But at the very least the UI needs to be reworked so that its actually obvious when they are charged. The difficulty in being a medic shouldn't come from the UI.

3. Stim/bacta nades/extra hp

Currently bacta nades reset any temp hp whether that be event characters or stims. This was an issue in 2017 that was solved in 2018..... Very unsure why its an issue again. Bacta nades are powerful and obviously shouldn't be getting spammed. However, the reason to not use them should not be that you're destimming everyone.

So that summarises the stuff that's blatantly broken. Now for the more debatable stuff :)

The purposes of Medics during events:

Asides from events featuring RP explicitly for MT the main function of MT seems to be healing troopers so that they can get back to the fight faster and continue enjoying the event. The purpose of medics is not to be self healing juggernauts who can smash through the enemy lines. The fact is nobody wants to die on the front lines then have to wait whole minutes for it to be perfectly safe for an MT to come rez them. 

So how does the purpose relate to balance:

If the above is the purpose of MT then there are a couple of major components of balance that need to be adressed.

1. Survivability: 

In order to fulfill the stated purpose MT must be able to survive on the battlefield long enough to actually heal/res the troopers. Obviously they shouldn't be unkillable but in their current state they are far from it. My suggestion to fix this would be to give at least some MT shields. What this would do would be to allow MTS to establish somewhat covered positions from which they could somewhat safely heal from. The effect of this is twofold. 1. It allows MT to be near the front of the fighting without getting instantly murdered. And 2. Encourages MTs to not rush out in the open when they could easily instead be in cover. Perhaps a subregiment of MTs with shields could be implemented ;)

2. Defibs/rezzing:

Asides from the fact they break a lot atm. They are mostly fine. Its just the limited survivability of MT which is making the defibbing so hard to do atm. If the survivability issue is fixed I don't think the defibs are particularly problematic. However if MT survivability is not increased having to stand still whilst ressing just means lots of dead MTs.

3. Heals 

The server has 128 slots. There are 7 MT slots. Healing takes ~10 secs per person. Most common complaint about MTs is them not healing enough. Please just let us heal people in a reasonable timeframe. The fun part of events is shooting at ECs not standing in line to get medical treatment.

4. Self heals

I understand why these have been nerfed. However the consequence of this is that the logical thing for MTs to do is run around in pairs so that they can heal each other. Which sounds tactical right? But remember 7 mts = max 3 pairs of mts = very limited healing for everyone else. And again that healing for everyone else is already pretty fucking slow.  

5. Reg size:

You could probably ignore the above two issues if you increased reg size. Doing so would allow MT to heal more people and do it faster and cover more ground. 

Closing remarks:

I understand why a lot of these changes have been implemented in order to stop MT being OP. However IMO the changes have clearly gone too far int he other direction. My proposed solution which would eliminate/mitigate a lot of the major issues would be the implementation of shields. This would allow medics more survivability on the front lines. Whilst also encouraging realistic combat behaviours. Doing so would not necessarily require a buff to healing which would make it op.

• Upvote 5

I swear there's been like 5 of these posts within the last 2 weeks, please stop spamming the forums with different thoughts about the Medical Trooper, we understand you're not happy with your current loadout.

• Like 1
  • Disagree 7
  • Agree 1
  • Downvote 7
  • Upvote 3
2 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I swear there's been like 5 of these posts within the last 2 weeks, please stop spamming the forums with different thoughts about the Medical Trooper, we understand you're not happy with your current loadout.

Literally still having to complain about issues that were fixed in 2018....

• Upvote 6

This is understandable, you should write up a document of recommended/suggested changes by your regiment members and hand that to Theta for approval and if that gets approved, schedule a meeting with Management who are involved with regimental load-out changes. Voicing your opinions like what you have done is another good way of doing it but I'd say writing a document and submitting would be much more efficient. Good read too.

• Upvote 4
32 minutes ago, Dane said:

1. Every medical item is in the #2 equip slot

This is a really basic problem but is incredibly irritating. A medics primary task is healing. The hardest part of the healing should not be cycling through the 2 slot 15 times in combat in order to get bacta/stim or whatnot. There are free equipment slots in the loadout. Put some of the healing stuff on the other slots. Especially the combat healing stuff.

2. Defibs

I'll talk more about defibs later. But at the very least the UI needs to be reworked so that its actually obvious when they are charged. The difficulty in being a medic shouldn't come from the UI.

3. Stim/bacta nades/extra hp

Currently bacta nades reset any temp hp whether that be event characters or stims. This was an issue in 2017 that was solved in 2018..... Very unsure why its an issue again. Bacta nades are powerful and obviously shouldn't be getting spammed. However, the reason to not use them should not be that you're destimming everyone.

1. I'll look into this later today as a quality of life improvement.

2. I'll also look into this later today.

3. Fixed

• Upvote 2

In terms of temporary cover in combat getting shields added to the Loadout wouldn't be bad. You can also have a discussion with the engineers who have the fortifications tablet and can establish front lines cover on the move to work out some kind of arrangement to assist medics. And depending on the map/EM choices they can even just have a small dupe or building prop to put down as a field hospital which isn't as mobile but just encourages retreating and getting healed rather then charging in dying and waiting for a revive especially on larger maps.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Rad_Cop said:

In terms of temporary cover in combat getting shields added to the Loadout wouldn't be bad. You can also have a discussion with the engineers who have the fortifications tablet and can establish front lines cover on the move to work out some kind of arrangement to assist medics. And depending on the map/EM choices they can even just have a small dupe or building prop to put down as a field hospital which isn't as mobile but just encourages retreating and getting healed rather then charging in dying and waiting for a revive especially on larger maps.

So the reason I went with shields over using eng is basically because I think in general the engineers would rather be doing things other than babysit MT. A field hospital prop is nice but I think most people would rather get healed closer to the fighting

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Wombatiacus said:

This is understandable, you should write up a document of recommended/suggested changes by your regiment members and hand that to Theta for approval and if that gets approved, schedule a meeting with Management who are involved with regimental load-out changes. Voicing your opinions like what you have done is another good way of doing it but I'd say writing a document and submitting would be much more efficient. Good read too.

I agree 100% with this. I also agree with Bailey. These posts are prone to become debates which end up getting shut down, summarised and handed to management anyway. It's better to make a document and hand it to Theta and Management instead of posting it. and waiting for everyone to rip each other apart. just my piece.

• Upvote 1

Love the idea of a shield to fix the idea of survivability for the medical trooper, and I agree with you to some extent, watching you wait there in the middle of combat for 10 seconds just to revive a lowly storm trooper is a bit sad and unfair but its a far cry of all Medics running and jumping into combat to revive 3 people in 5 seconds and getting out alive, its what pisses off most event characters while they're trying to push people back.

Giving medical troopers access to that placeable circular shield (I dont know what its called for the life of me), except with a smaller radius and less health may prove useful in medics picking their spots on who to revive and who not to revive. On the other hand you should be working in conjunction with other troopers to be able to revive and heal a majority of the people on the frontlines, and frankly to counterject you're other point on waiting in line to get healed, its a huge factor in being a medical trooper and normally you get recognition for it, every reg gets shit in RP for something, not healing people in 1 nano second is just yours. Anyway, working with shock primarily, since they have shields at their disposal is such a massively OP combination and have only seen 1 medical troopers do this, where they take the initiative to tell the shock to march forward a bit with their shields so you can actually revive a trooper.

Also just a quick excerpt, im not sure if this is exactly fixed, but are medics still like locked in place when ressing someone, meaning that they actually can't move until their either dead or the person has been revived? 

Finally, the self healing point, and this was nerfed primarily (I think at least) to stop medics combat healing and essentially being immortal, do you have any idea how frustrating it is to deal with a medic as an event character, using a gun equivalent to a E-11 and trying to kill a medic who is just spamming their self healing over and over? Its a waste of time, drains my brain cells and makes me never want to participate in an event again, and I know a few people who don't play EC's anymore primarily depending on how many medics are currently in the server. This is one of the things that I dont think needs to be reverted for a long time, you just need to get used to the fact that you aren't going to be immortal anymore, you might need to run around in packs, and you might need to RELY ON THE SUPPORT OF OTHERS during battles, seriously, that previous point is something that can be solved with a majority of what the medics are complaining about, and yes I do realize that you can't normally control regiments at a whim, but most of us do realize that without a medic in the field, the situation is severely lost.

(Also don't pick on Bailey too much, there are alot of posts like this that could be formulated into one singular. Better yet a Mega post that the Medics have thought through all their issues and suggestions)

Edited by Higashi
  • Agree 1

I understand why medics are upset with this change but there have been quite a few forums posts about your equiptment changes however I don't think that this is the right way to go about it. I would suggest writting a document up explaining everything and what you would like changed and have a meeting with a member of management and try to compromise with them. Forum post one after another looks petty and constant protest does not help your case. If you need any help feel free to contact me 

Edited by Pro
  • Disagree 3
  • Upvote 3
On 10/24/2020 at 11:40 AM, Higashi said:

Love the idea of a shield to fix the idea of survivability for the medical trooper, and I agree with you to some extent, watching you wait there in the middle of combat for 10 seconds just to revive a lowly storm trooper is a bit sad and unfair but its a far cry of all Medics running and jumping into combat to revive 3 people in 5 seconds and getting out alive, its what pisses off most event characters while they're trying to push people back.

yes having shields with MT would be great and at this current time i try to encourage the heavies in sky to use their sheilds to support MT when reviving people in the open but there will always be that one EC that will tank 700 damage and kill the MT that is behind everyone reviving someone. this entire thing is thrown out the window when this happens which happens a lot more than you think it does

On 10/24/2020 at 11:40 AM, Higashi said:

Also just a quick excerpt, im not sure if this is exactly fixed, but are medics still like locked in place when ressing someone, meaning that they actually can't move until their either dead or the person has been revived? 

This is a mechanic not a bug. 

• Sad 2
  • Upvote 1