The Idea Of Expansion

Expansion. The very word itself brings back the notions of Santos and CloneWars all over again, to which the servers where seen as a joke to most members within the community, whether it be from (alleged) poor planning, extreme lows in player base, community divide, fast-tracked development etc etc. Now these things are just what I've been told so please don't roast me because of them, but I'm losing my mark, what I'm trying (and failing) to do is start an introduction for the suggestion of new servers, from a more developed and advertised Minecraft, to maybe a couple of gmod servers, hell maybe even a 10x rust server could work, but all of these comes with their own ups and downs, with mostly being seen in the downs spectrum.

The idea of expansion creates a rift, servers themselves split the player base up, through the release of a server, a quarter to half the player base of Imperial might join the new server for a week or so, essentially lowering the active player base by a massive degree. I would like to say Minecraft didn't really do this much since players were able to multitask (Im only speaking from my POV since I was IG at the time and all we did was guard Emp and play with the very same man we were protecting), but servers like Santos was successful in dividing the community just a little too much in terms of overall player performance, and this as we know is incredibly bad as it worsens the stigma of releasing new servers, hell, every time a server was launched there was always a small group seemingly predicting the future; "Oh well this is going to fail" "Hows deadcraft going", and this negative stigma surrounding the introduction of new servers make the server in turn, unsuccessful.

Sticking to what makes the community active and a genuine 'community' seems to be the majority option for a majority of the people I've spoken to throughout making this post, with some accepting the idea of expansion ONLY when the server itself peaks a 128 players on an active basis (mainly fridays, saturdays), and only then will it purely be a good idea for a new server to be introduced (OR RE-INTRODUCED POGGERS). And while I do agree with this option, like every option, I do see flaws. Its a very sensible idea to continue to refine and develop the server that is getting you the players and getting you the money to pay for the server, but what happens when the server itself gets too boring for a majority of players, when theres too much drama or whatever reason there is, the server slowly depreciates and there's no fall-back option? There's no server where there's somewhat of a safety net?

"Now Higashi, Ive read through your poorly structured post, what's the point?" Very cool question random voice, well I want a community discussion about the options of expansion, the general notion of said expansion and the possibly advantages and disadvantages of it, for this I've come up with a loose hypothetical optioning system that community members can choose and voice their views (Or just talk about what I said above).

1.  Continue as we are now for the foreseeable future, solely stick to Imperial RP, continue to refine it and nothing else, as that's what's making us successful.
  2. All eyes and development focused on Imperial RP, but release small servers that require no maintenance, staff, content or management at all - This includes but isn't limited to: Bunnyhop, Surf, Minigames.
  3. Finish the update for Imperial where the community is satisfied (+active player base), and put all hands on deck for a big community update - A well refined, thought out, developed server like DarkRP, CW or any other
  4. "Ive got my own option thankyou!" (Insert your thinking)

(I know this probably isnt the best time to post this with the current discussions and developer progress that is happening to the server, this is a simple discussion/debate on the idea of expansion for the near future (and possibly not at all), in no way do I want to cause any strife for my post, if there's something you disagree with, you can either reply or DM me personally if you prefer <3)

Option number 1 and 2 look pretty good since the 3rd option causes a bit of player drops even with 128 slots being filled on a active basis, then if the option 3 fails it can cause a lot of unnecessary hatred and bad blood throughout the community causing people to leave like it has done previously. Option 4, I have nothing for because I can't think of one.

Expansion isn't always the best Idea, from what IG has previously attempted to do (imo the most successful attempt at expansion was the Clone Wars Server) it is rather obvious that the current active playerbase within the community usually fall back to the Imperial Server regardless of the quality presented by the "Expansions". For instance the CW Server died off after a little bit, not only due to mismanagement of certain aspects of the server, but largely due to players returning to the Imperial Server.

IG may be the largest AUS/NZ SW RP server, but the total active playerbase just isn't big enough to warrant expansions that never go anywhere. I think the Community would benefit from continued attempts to make the current server better/more enjoyable over expansion for the sake of expansion.

7 minutes ago, Bailey said:

clone wars and ill come back

clone wars and happy and mongo resurrect
we will also resuscitate pendragon and mike from the dead somehow.

• Agree 2
8 minutes ago, Mongo said:

clone wars and happy and mongo resurrect
we will also resuscitate pendragon and mike from the dead somehow.

give @Luigi and @SiegeMonkey some weed to chill them out and get the band back together.

• Poggers 2

Every expansion of IG all ended the same except for MilitaryRP (which became CG) but that's because it was a 1st of its kind (new gamemode, new attributes and features) I dont think expansion is a good idea but maybe a complete rehaul of the current starwarsRP. 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Expansion isn't always the best Idea, from what IG has previously attempted to do (imo the most successful attempt at expansion was the Clone Wars Server) it is rather obvious that the current active playerbase within the community usually fall back to the Imperial Server regardless of the quality presented by the "Expansions". For instance the CW Server died off after a little bit, not only due to mismanagement of certain aspects of the server, but largely due to players returning to the Imperial Server.

IG may be the largest AUS/NZ SW RP server, but the total active playerbase just isn't big enough to warrant expansions that never go anywhere. I think the Community would benefit from continued attempts to make the current server better/more enjoyable over expansion for the sake of expansion.

While a great pro as IG is the most active and well reserved AUS SWRP server, it also acts as its own con, for communities to survive into the near future, an active variation of servers need to be considered so to expand the safety net, and while I do agree that the continued development and refinement of the server is a must, I also have to personally view option number 2 as the advantageous pick for the community, starting off slow and working our way up, while still sticking to our roots can soak up the remaining AUS playerbases in most fields. Small, semi active servers that don't draw too many players away from the main server could eventually build up to moderate gamemodes/games having a stable playerbase without the negative impact on Imperial RP, and as I mentioned before Bunnyhop, Surf, Minigames (That have a double sided coin for community game nights)

13 hours ago, Bailey said:

give @Luigi and @SiegeMonkey some weed to chill them out and get the band back together.

I'll smoke some, but uh Option 2 sounds preferable. The way I see it, if you expand to new RP servers without an overflow of players, there will always be a hit to the main server's playercount. The best way to get new players to this community would be to create a new playerbase instead of one focused on RP. Once that playerbase is stable (I'm talking at least 90 new players) then that would be the best time to possibly announce to both playerbases a new RP server. Whether that server is Star Wars related is another question. When people think of Imperial Gaming, they usually think of our Imperial server, as such it wouldn't be a bad idea to possibly open up a new era related server. 

But uh hey don't take my word for it, I'm just some baked stoner from California playing at 12 AM everyday because he can't sleep lmao

TBH the idea of just advancing the time line interests me as it will give new opportunities for RP and allow for different events and what not. Additionally, the idea of expansion in that form I believe is way more conceivable as the majority of the assets to advance the timeline already exist or may just need tweaking.

• Upvote 2
49 minutes ago, Auzii said:

TBH the idea of just advancing the time line interests me as it will give new opportunities for RP and allow for different events and what not. Additionally, the idea of expansion in that form I believe is way more conceivable as the majority of the assets to advance the timeline already exist or may just need tweaking.

advancing the timeline also adds a lot of complexity. with lore characters and regiments.

a lot of characters died during the destruction of the first death star

and the inquisitorius disbanded after the events that unfolded on malachor.

put it simply even if we advanced the timeline even a little bit characters like: Krennic, Grand Inquisitor would be gone, and most likely Inquisitirous as a whole as well as thrawn and a few of the other lesser lore characters that are a possibility for regiments naval specifically like Vult Skeriss and Konstantine.

I think a reason we never progressed the timeline was a result of losing a lot of important lore characters and regiments as a result with the lore.

59 minutes ago, Auzii said:

I personally reckon going back in time to post-ROTS or at most 10 BBY would be cool as clones would still be around and all current lore characters would still exist. It's a better alternative than to going into the ABY era.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What about if we expanded out of Gmod into Games like Space Engineers, Rust, empyrion galactic survival, just to name a few examples most of these games do support dedicated servers, There's even a new games in Early access that will be coming to steam called duel universe and star base sometime in the near future.

How bout Clone Wars Arma 3.

But also, we've done TTT, we've done MiliRP x2, Dark RP, Halo RP, Deathrun, CWRP, Arma 3 CW, Arma3 milsim. All died.

Bring back HaloRP, that was pretty good.

Bring back Arma 3 CW.

Bring back Deathrun/TTT

Get an SCP Secret Lab server goin

Cw never died in my heart fully even tho we only got 30 players at peak hour. It was fine in clone wars if I’m being honest I liked it much more then Imperial mayb cuz it was less restrictions I don’t know tbh but it was just more fun.

As someone who has played on pretty much every single ImperialGaming server since the community launched, I can say that although all of the servers were great and were fully populated at launch, it absolutely killed the ImperialRP server for a few weeks. The main issue is that although the ImperialRP server (and Imperial Gaming as a whole) is quite large, the number of active players is not. On top of this, Garry’s Mod is a VERY old game that just isn’t getting the number of new users joining it as it once had. I think sticking to (and improving) ImperialRP would be the right course of action to take to ensure the community remains where it is in regards to size and activity.

• Agree 1
  • Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, pinejack said:

As someone who has played on pretty much every single ImperialGaming server since the community launched, I can say that although all of the servers were great and were fully populated at launch, it absolutely killed the ImperialRP server for a few weeks. The main issue is that although the ImperialRP server (and Imperial Gaming as a whole) is quite large, the number of active players is not. On top of this, Garry’s Mod is a VERY old game that just isn’t getting the number of new users joining it as it once had. I think sticking to (and improving) ImperialRP would be the right course of action to take to ensure the community remains where it is in regards to size and activity.

well said my old friend.