New medic system idea

While playing on the server I have seen some odd things that might not really count as RP, for example I have seen some medics defib someone after they got blown up by a bomb [Not having a go] and its good to see medics RPing and helping others out but you cant defib someone so they get back into the fight after their limbs are gone so I have an idea.

There should be a system where the medics can see what injuries the persons has by using a tablet in your hot bar at the top for example: [Name-Midway] [Gunshot to the head] [Unable to revive] this can make the RP more realistic and fun.

if it sound like a bad idea please don't start arguing but anyway have a good day.

This would be pretty hard to implement due to the fact that most of our models don’t have separate limb hit boxes and it’s just flat “You got hit.”

I think it’s fine reviving people who are blown up etc. like in Battlefield, it’s more of a game mechanic than an RP thing at this point and making it harder to get consistent revives during combat can be a tad wacky.

Theyve gotta wait 5 seconds to defib someone now, I think that’s a good amount of time.

• Agree 3
  • Upvote 1

Like Bailey said, every model (apart from engineers for no apparent reason) has one single hitbox which wouldn't let this feature be implemented. As long as the medic isn't getting blasted to hell and waits the 5 seconds, I think they should be able to revive anyone. 

It's very hard to do that because when someone dies it doesn't log how they died ( explosion, Saber etc ) only the attacker and the DMG . It could feasibly be done by checking the active weapon of the attacker and putting it on a list of people not able to be spawned but something like that would have to be approved by management 

Ngl I would get pretty frustrated if I medic was looking at my corpse with a tablet not defibing me :/ I'd say keep it as a mechanic instead of a RP due to that reason and the fact that if you had to do that during a live battle you'd probably get killed before you can even whip out a defib.

• Agree 1

This remedy is fixed with the incoming changes that were announced earlier/talked over briefly in the community meeting, the tablet idea is cool and reminds me of the TTT defib, where if shot in the head, the subject is braindead and is unable to be revived, a similar things could be implemented on the server using similar code thats used in TTT, but it would probably only affect the head hitbox (see sample) and nothing else, but very cool idea

sample: Tutorial: How to Check Hitboxes | SC☆TTT

Edited by Higashi
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, PuffyPanda said:

It's very hard to do that because when someone dies it doesn't log how they died ( explosion, Saber etc ) only the attacker and the DMG . It could feasibly be done by checking the active weapon of the attacker and putting it on a list of people not able to be spawned but something like that would have to be approved by management 

number Player:LastHitGroup()

only issue is models not having proper hitboxes

Edited by Splonter
25 minutes ago, Splonter said:

number Player:LastHitGroup()

only issue is models not having proper hitboxes

Oh now that is interesting . I was thinking just a person killed by X weapon is added to a list and people on that list cannot be revived. But if we can get body groups that would certainly make for more cool medic system . I will float the idea with Stryker 

Edited by PuffyPanda

I'd think its respectful to tag those of the regiment you are going to discuss.... @FinchyBoi @Banana

In the combat healing discussion many points were brought up about how the Medical Troopers should operate on the battlefield and I did consider all of them. The post really made me think about ways to make combat healing (not to be confused with healing while open) more immersive, although bacta can almost instantly heal injuries, defibrillators and bacta cannot bring back the dead. 

The tablet idea is great but as Bailey said, hitboxes for all body parts are non existent and it'd be a huge effort to do so. If the weapon that caused the death is able to be logged then a death display system would be great. I think the best way would be to enable/disable revives for each weapon, normal weapons such as E-11's should be revivable while harsh weapons such as Thermal Detonators should be non-revivable. Along side this, there should be a timer to ensure players are being revived an unrealistic time after falling, times could also vary for the weapon, rifles may have a shorter time than a pistol. In addition, a display on both sides (dead and medical trooper) should be shown; the dead/injured person should be shown if they are revivable and if so a timer, and the medical troopers should be able to see if the dead/injured is revivable, the timer, and weapon when they activate the defibrillators - like the heart icon shown above a body.

To be honest, I have no problem either way, although because of information that weapons cannot be logged, I believe it'd be best to implement a revive/death timer.

Edited by Kamelieon

I assure you if we introduced any medical system that required more than 5 seconds to heal someone people would riot. Many systems already exist for realistic damage and treatment but all are way to complicated.

Also not to mention doing some form of injury calculation/storage on hit for everyone on the server would be horribly taxing. Cool idea but not really practical in gmod

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Ragetank said:

5 seconds

Could you pretty please add an animation to the 5 seconds, like reloading animation or something, I always think I lag out when reviving.

Edited by Kamelieon
18 hours ago, Kamelieon said:

Could you pretty please add an animation to the 5 seconds, like reloading animation or something, I always think I lag out when reviving.

yo bro like an actuall rez animation instead of doing a /me does etc for RP THAT WOULD BE SICK

• Thinking 1