Saying VOID after a Comms

Title speaks for itself,

I've seen this issue come up a lot, where someone will say something in COMMS that is AOSable, or even treason, but they'll just void it afterwards.

Usually they'll just get caught up in the hype of something happening and then calm down and void it. But when someone goes out of the way to do something like this, there needs to be some form of consequence to saying something like 'KOS the Emperor' or the like.

Obviously things like Binds, if a bind is hit, and voided, that would be fine.

I'm just suggesting, shit like above, cannot be voided once said.

• Thinking 3
  • Poggers 2
  • Agree 1
  • Upvote 9

Voiding comms is an iffy subject, however what happened today with Duck was, to put it simple, just silly. (sorry duck <3 ) 

I have also noticed other players in the community doing it for a "joke" or a "meme," knowing fully well that if it was taken into RP there would be consequences.  (looks at relish) 

So Hopefully today's name PK on Duck shows an example to the community that it isn't really appropriate to do it. 

• Sad 1
  • Disagree 1

i mean implement but make it very well known that it is a rule. because people get the shit end of the stick when they encounter a rule that isn't on the server rules or anything

• Facepalm 1

Imo, if its not a bind and someone says it and then voids it, keep it in RP.

There's certain situations, where for example, someone comms's in something they shouldn't have like an AOS from the grave, where someone responds, you obviously can't respond to that, hence, its voided using retroactive continuity.

• Upvote 1

I'll just say this, but I think it all falls under common sense & understanding where to draw the line.

Voiding comms shouldn't be used as a method to avoid IC punishment, particularly if people are wanting to evoke a reaction/response out of people. There are, however, a few instances where there are genuine slip ups, which are easily avoidable & don't cause any commotion on either parties (typically, these are very easy to notice because people will freak out or spam chat). It's just common sense above all else, why bother saying something if you're aware of what consequences may come as a result, particularly the backlash when things don't work in either parties favour?

It should always be kept IC, there's always potential for something to spark off of something else. Voiding things is just an easier way of saying "I don't like the RP" or "I don't want to suffer the consequences of what may happen".

C'mon lads, we're better than this!

• Upvote 2
19 hours ago, Mauler said:

Obviously things like Binds, if a bind is hit, and voided, that would be fine.

15 hours ago, Luigi said:

It should always be kept IC, there's always potential for something to spark off of something else. Voiding things is just an easier way of saying "I don't like the RP" or "I don't want to suffer the consequences of what may happen".

Everything should be kept in character even accidentally hitting comms binds. Having that bind is at your discretion and doesn't represent the realistic time of speaking into a comms device, as it would transmit immediately. A comms bind in this perspective would be more like a panic button which can accidentally be pressed.

• Disagree 1
1 hour ago, JDark47 said:

Everything should be kept in character even accidentally hitting comms binds. Having that bind is at your discretion and doesn't represent the realistic time of speaking into a comms device, as it would transmit immediately. A comms bind in this perspective would be more like a panic button which can accidentally be pressed.

disagreed the point of a bind is so that you don't stand still when you are trying to talk in RP but you don't have a mic. if you accidently fat finguere a bind i don't think you can accidently say. [SITREP] There are hostiles in the brig! that is something that you wouldn't just randomly on accident call out. hense why you should be able to void it

• Thinking 1
  • Disagree 5
6 hours ago, Clover said:

disagreed the point of a bind is so that you don't stand still when you are trying to talk in RP but you don't have a mic. if you accidently fat finguere a bind i don't think you can accidently say. [SITREP] There are hostiles in the brig! that is something that you wouldn't just randomly on accident call out. hense why you should be able to void it

It always leads back to the point of removing particular RP elements from an RP situation. Yes, voiding things that are unintentional is an easier way to deal with the situation. However, there should be other ways to deal with these things than rather 'voiding' that message; it just destroys potential RP from happening, which is something that people are struggling with at the moment.

Yes, I do believe anything that is said in comms intentionally shouldn't be able to be voided unless all parties agree.

Binds, I can understand, but anything you put in comms and void to be a funny man, should be subject to moderation in my honest opinion.

your actions need to have consequences, and you shouldn't be able to weasel your way out of it for the sake of a bad joke. That's why OOC exists.

Again, I honestly think you should only be able to void comms if: it is a bind that you did not mean to press, and I mean like stuff we can easily discern are binds.

Normally in most scenarios saying something incorrectly like sitrepping an area as clear, then it suddenly isn't is recomms as either under attack or to 'disregard' previous comms message.

Overall, binds shouldn't have to be punished as voided comms, however you should also just be mindful of what keys you bind for comms messages so that you dont constantly 'accidentally' hit them.

You should only be able to void a comms if all people involved in the incident mutually agree on it, and they should be subject to moderation if it's a constant.

• Agree 1
9 hours ago, Luigi said:

Yes, voiding things that are unintentional is an easier way to deal with the situation. However, there should be other ways to deal with these things than rather 'voiding' that message; it just destroys potential RP from happening, which is something that people are struggling with at the moment.

The only sort of i can see of RP when you accidently say " HOSTILES IN THE MAINTENANCE ACCESS 101! " ( binded of course ) is spending the next half an hour having a mental examination. and i don't believe just because you pressed a button on your keyboard you shouldn't spend the next 30 minutes doing something you don't want to do ( give or take )

Edited by Clover
19 hours ago, JDark47 said:

17 hours ago, Clover said:

if you accidently fat finguere a bind i don't think you can accidently say. [SITREP] There are hostiles in the brig! that is something that you wouldn't just randomly on accident call out. hense why you should be able to void it

I present a possible middle ground (that I think JDark possibly was implying):

How about, if you hit a comms bind and want to void it, void it in rp? As in to void it you must do the "void" message in comms instead of in ooc so that rp isn't taken away if its there and if the message is something that needs to be taken into rp, it is kept in rp.

Lets say someone hits their taking off bind, that's easily justifiable as a message someone would have ready to send when needed, possibly the same for the sitrep binds that were being discussed in this post, as those would need to go out at a moment's notice. So, if you hit it by accident, lets say its still transmitted and if you wish to void it, you do so in the rp side. This avoids the issue if voiding "bad jokes" and things that would cause rp in character as its being kept in character and that rp can still occur but allows for an in-rp method to deal with an accidental bind or incorrect message.

With that being said I can think of a few exceptions off the top of my head, for example accidentally getting the sender and receiver of a comms message backwards such that it looks like you're using their comms to yourself, or the case where an ec hits a bind that they have for when there an imperial. IMO the former shouldn't be voided but instead just the part that is an error amended in ooc,

I.e (assuming the player is an ST) "/comms [IHC>ST] Requesting a meeting sir!" "/ooc [ST>IHC]*"

And in the latter, with an ec or civ hitting a bind that it makes no sense for them to have, that might still be voided through ooc as that bind is for the players imperial character, not for said ec/civ. To add on to this I think an EM should be able to void an ec's comms rp if needed, as that is part of overseeing ecs.

Edited by Lucky
  • Agree 2
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Lucky said:

How about, if you hit a comms bind and want to void it, void it in rp? As in to void it you must do the "void" message in comms instead of in ooc so that rp isn't taken away if its there and if the message is something that needs to be taken into rp, it is kept in rp.

This is a definite example of what should be, & what I was trying to say (I apologise for being vague). Things said & done in RP should be kept & handled in RP, even if it was a simple bind hit. It's just a small bit of RP that doesn't do much harm & can be taken in all sorts of directions for both parties.

I'll use another example, @Clover's one to be exact. If you have a bind that alerts personnel aboard the ISD that there are hostiles in a certain area, aside from being completely barbaric for having a bind like that, & it merely turns out to be an EM setting an event up or an Imperial that caught you off guard it can easily be dealt with IC IF that person/party understands how to branch RP off of it. Examples include voiding it IC such as "False Alarm, it was an Imperial. Damn Visors clogging up" or "Disregard, must've been my imagination". Whoever that message is sent to holds the mantle of where to take that RP, whether it be to simply drop it or continue it for a while longer.

It's just something to remember that Imperial Stormtroopers weren't exactly the smartest bunch you'd meet, more so unwillingly forced to be somewhere to do a job they don't enjoy. It wasn't uncommon for them to be spooked easily by mysterious things or let little things they don't see important slide.

• Agree 2