AHC Request For Information

This is a Request For Information directed to AHC.

Given the mutterings I've heard going around, people would like to see a higher percentage of army members active on the server.

What is AHC doing to incentivise Army Regiment activity and recruitment? Are COs being monitored to ensure they are managing their Regiment's activity and retention? Are COs themselves being monitored for activity and effective command? 

Are AHC members being monitored by IHC to ensure they are managing army effectively? Is AHC being monitored to ensure their own activity and effective command?

Thank you.

Edited by Rick_Castle

Pretty much,

• Server is lacking on population recently due to corona and people are now going back to work.
  • Too many slots for non-army regiments, look at the non-army to army ratio that are usually online.

Think about those two things and you will know why there aren't as many army players than all the other branches.

• Thinking 2

I'm not talking about activity, the server is barely getting any new members and those are usually the people who join the military regiments. The dedicated players who still play on the server are mostly in non-army regiments which means there is no one left to fill the army regiments up. The fact is that non-army regiments are more fun due to the fact that they can still create some good RP. Army regiments get stale quickly as when there are no events you mostly just stand around waiting which causes people either to want to join a non-army regiment or in bad cases just leave the server entirely.

1 minute ago, Rick_Castle said:

Yeah, thats what im asking, what is AHC doing to rectify these issues of stagnation in Army?

Something is being sorted out as I type this. Its not AHC's fault that army is being stagnant. Every other branch has trooper regiments, meaning the need for a "gun" regiment goes away when you can be in a stronger branch and be a gun anyway.

On top of this, army has been gutted in regards to slots, while regiments such as DT retain 16 slots etc.

AHC is working to rectify it, but its not easy, especially when everyone else wants to do Army's job and just ignore them as a whole.

• Thinking 1
  • Upvote 1

I've heard it a couple of times and now here, how does COVID-19 contribute to the servers low player count? Infact if COVID-19 does affect it, there should be an increase in players on due to people staying home more often. The server had such high player count a year or two ago, when COVID-19 and its influence wasn't around. My question is, is the low player count a server side issue or garry's mod issue?

IHC and more so AHC have been questioned lately, I think AHC have been struggling and when they don't have many army members, it is my belief they lose motivation. From what I have seen, it doesn't look like the monitoring of Commanding Officers has been at focus lately, which it should be.

• Upvote 4
19 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Something is being sorted out as I type this. Its not AHC's fault that army is being stagnant. Every other branch has trooper regiments, meaning the need for a "gun" regiment goes away when you can be in a stronger branch and be a gun anyway.

On top of this, army has been gutted in regards to slots, while regiments such as DT retain 16 slots etc.

AHC is working to rectify it, but its not easy, especially when everyone else wants to do Army's job and just ignore them as a whole.

DTs slots just got nerfed. 16 slots is fine for the tasks we do

48 minutes ago, Neptune said:

Server is lacking on population recently due to corona and people are now going back to work.

Where going back into quarantine from the second wave of COVID-19 cases and the server pop hasn't went up since. We can't use it as a excuse of why the server is lacking population it needs advertisements and we need to show how the server can be fun. It's the fun and motivation people gotta have to get more people into army regiments and more new players on the server.

Wtf do you mean RETAIN 16 slots? We had 24 now we got 16, 8 slots been lost in the gutting of Army because they couldn't retain army members. Seem to include in in your argument like it is somehow DT's fault that we have a great group of people most of which were in old DT and Chimeria playing with good activity and RP action, we have not taken or added any significant amount of players and thinking that further reducing our slots will make the military have a boost in players simply does not make sense, all it does is turn off people from the server who find the military boring.

And believe it or not but it is AHC fault that Army is falling to bits, they have failed to create RP for these people who want to play in the army so they have left. I know thats why I joined old DT after being in previously in shore and MT(twice). Nothing happened for us apart from server wide events and passive RP tinky made. If AHC helped get army regiments fun passive RP there would be a great incentive to say in that regiment, this is simply not happening, resulting in what you see now.

If I were AHC I would focus on creating RP for army, creating an incentive to join because rn there is no reason other than the powerful loadout you can get at cl2. I would not be trying to take down non-military regiments, because at the end of the day there is a reason people are in the regiments they are currently in. They find their regiment is fun, that is why they are in the reg they are currently in, and not another regiment.

In conclusion, DT have lost due to the army's decrease in number. Non-military regiments have not caused the loss in army numbers and if AHC memebers who are failing to create RP for the military are not responsible for the loss in military numbers then what the fuck is AHC responsible for.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Upvote 10
11 minutes ago, Vile said:

In conclusion, DT have lost due to the army's decrease in number. Non-military regiments have not caused the loss in army numbers and if AHC memebers who are failing to create RP for the military are not responsible for the loss in military numbers then what the fuck is AHC responsible for.

Lets keep it civil. I also don't want to see people downvoting on this thread, agree and disagree are here for a reason. (For those who want to downvote you).

What I was more so saying, is that due to the sheer amount of alternatives there are to military, many people don't join military because the alternatives are just better choices in regards to loadout, RP power and role on the Server.

Lets all chill out in regards to flame.

• Disagree 2
  • Downvote 7

11 minutes ago, Vile said:

AHC is and has been responsible for 2 of the biggest overhauls to try and improve military on the server, provide training and RP for at least 3 separate and often varying regiments and doing clearance and heavy tests. AHC has been consistently working to provide RP and incentive, but many regiments such as PT and DT provide a greater incentive overall for a gun wielding regiment without as much over watch from security regiments (Very powerful loadout, getting to fight saber wielders, not following Military orders, etc). Now this is just my experiences from being a PT CO and thinking on why I originally joined Sith, but please do think about what AHC has done before going off like that. 

• Agree 1

As a member of AHC hopefully i'm able to answer some of your questions @Rick_Castle

2 hours ago, Rick_Castle said:

What is AHC doing to incentivise Army Regiment activity and recruitment? Are COs being monitored to ensure they are managing their Regiment's activity and retention? Are COs themselves being monitored for activity and effective command? 

This point in particular can be difficult to implement, as stated in some previous replies that the overall server population has recently dropped. However, regarding this, yes, all Commanding Officers are being watched carefully by their Legion Overseers & other members of AHC. If a Commanding Officer is struggling to maintain activity or interest in roleplay AHC will speak to them inquire about the issue, provide potential solutions and advice. However, if they continue to struggle, further intervention may be required, simply removing or demoting such individuals without giving them sufficient advice, time & notice will just create a larger gap in the chain of command in many regiments. Some ideas that we have implemented in an attempt to incentivise activity & recruitment include running weekly missions for both Legions & individual Regiments, awarding medals to Commanding Officers whom retain a high level of activity within their regiment, hosting monthly tournaments allowing Commanding Officers to showcase their regiments & win large sums of credits, providing passiveRP for struggling regiments or those whom maintain high activity.

Army High Command has additionally on several occasions attempted to gather feedback regarding what we could do to assist commanders, through the feedback collected we devised this second more recently 'Army Overhaul' which reduced army by 55 slots which were unused and providing some regiments with much needed equipment buffs. We do hear the phrase 'Just create more RP' get thrown around a lot, however people must bear in mind that Army High Command is a 5 man team composed of 2 staff members & 3 users. I cannot emphasize enough how much that Commanding Officers must also attempt to create their own RP such as EVO starting their own Xenophobic RP, simply relying on Imperial High Command alone to create RP will not do a regiment any good as we have to oversee a group with the largest diversity in roles and functions and cannot cater to every individual regiments needs simultaneously. We can easily create a list of mundane, pointless, boring tasks for regiments to do, but this has the opposite effect of what we want. We wish for people to look forward to and enjoy the tasks we give them.

Many people are dissuaded from joining Army due to a notable proportion of the server's rp revolving around the detriment of the Army, additionally with Non-Army shooting based regiments having significantly better loadouts, being able to step on Army's Chain of Command and at times ruin a Regiment's RP simply because they can

2 hours ago, Rick_Castle said:

Are AHC members being monitored by IHC to ensure they are managing army effectively? Is AHC being monitored to ensure their own activity and effective command?

Regarding this, yes both Myself & Wingza as senior members of AHC are overlooking the Major Generals whilst Management are overseeing myself. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

@Braino Your argument works until you bring up DT and PT. I do not know about PT but DT over the last month has only had around 3 new people join,recently our slots were reduced so now our number is going to be over capped for a short while. However your argument may apply to CF and PT, I'm not sure, but both regiments do not have high player caps as CF only has 12 slots and PT has around the same, assuming they both only had 1 person in them that would only remove 22 (assuming pt has 12 slots) people from the army if they recruited to the maximum, exclusively from army regiments. Your argument simply doesn't work as there is no way the large dip in the army was because of alternative gun regiments taking people in.

Something in the army went wrong which has caused the dip in its player count and as the High Command (overseers) it is ultimately up you maintain its activity and provide incentives to join then stay. I do not know where AHC went wrong, I dont know if AHC caused it or if its just dumb misfortune with the virus. All I know is that blaming non-army regiments does not makes sense.

@Theta 

27 minutes ago, Theta said:

Many people are dissuaded from joining Army due to a notable proportion of the server's rp revolving around the detriment of the Army, additionally with Non-Army shooting based regiments having significantly better loadouts, being able to step on Army's Chain of Command and at times ruin a Regiment's RP simply because they can

I assume when you say "Non-Army Shooting Based Regiments" you are referring to PT, CF and DT. If you have any issues with the way we RP, I would have to recommend you talk to the CO's of these regiments. We all want to have fun on the server and if we ruin Army Regiments RP this is something all "Non-Army Shooting Based Regiments" should be made aware of via discord/ts or even IC meetings. It frustrates me that you are under the assumption that "Non-Army Shooting Based Regiments" would ruin Army Regiments rp "Simply because they can".

In DT I know that we find doing joint regimental events with Shadow and IC quite enjoyable, so if there is anything we can do to help promote the growth of the army (bar leaving DT for an army reg) please let us know, we will see how we can help.

(I would like to add at the end I do not represent all of DT as a regiment I have just spent and awful lot of time on the server and in DT. I do not mean any offence, sarcasm, sass, hostility or passive aggressiveness in the way I have written this, I simply love ctrl+c and p.)

29 minutes ago, Parcy said:

Bruh PT sitting on like 6 players in reg with only 3 ever on at one time.

I know that feeling. When PT CO was handed from Braino to me I struggled to get new people based off of the lack of incentive to get on as such I tried making events for PT to do and tried getting them on but after a while I was tired of it and gave in. The real issue I see is there is no selling point for PT based off of their role and equipment, role wise they can get really good RP behind them and can build it really well, as for equipment I can admit it is not the best and changes do have to be made but that is up to the PT CO, as for the electrostaff there have been many discussions regarding it and for the 270 days I was in PT for the only thing we trash talked the most was that. But the main reason people don't want to join is because they are happy where they are and don't want to leave OR they know of the situation the regiment is in.

That is my argument in regards to PT's current standpoint and I hope for the regiments sake it can get a bit of an uplift. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Vile said:

Something in the army went wrong which has caused the dip in its player count and as the High Command (overseers) it is ultimately up you maintain its activity and provide incentives to join then stay. I do not know where AHC went wrong, I dont know if AHC caused it or if its just dumb misfortune with the virus. All I know is that blaming non-army regiments does not makes sense.

Neither does it make sense blaming AHC when you don't know yourself if we are the reason it happened. AHC works very hard to provide RP for several regiments who all have very different roles, especially those who aren't EMs or in the staff team. And I'm not saying just DT, but many of those regiments outside of military do not have to follow our orders or protocol, which for new players is a great incentive (just ask the guy who joined PT and within 2 minutes told Hammer to go f**k himself cause he didn't have to follow his orders). I understand that recruitment is slow but I am simply saying that there is AN incentive to join regiments with frequently occurring RP (ISB, DT, INQT, Shock, etc.) and greater freedom. 

But my main point being, blaming AHC with no evidence is quite insulting to the many who have now burnt themselves out trying to provide RP. I remember making a very definite point during a CO meeting in saying that if you don't believe enough RP is happening, make some for your regiment to enjoy. Make a map, run a mission, do trooper inspections, do not leave it up to one person to provide RP for every regiment. Jay back when he was a low ranked Inquisitor ran DnD style missions and used /roll and those were so fun, so there is no excuse why others can't do the same. I might be biased, but that is my experience.

Edited by Braino

Here’s my point of view of the reason on the server population decline. The reason why the server population is dropping so fast, Not because of COVID-19 (Where everyone’s going back to work. But that’s not a reason because COVID-19 is still here and still growing in cases so everyone is at home again from the 2nd wave of cases.) I believe we should use this moment to advertise the server, Example make YouTube videos such as videos showing why and how imperial gaming is a great server and that stuff. Once we get the server back to the population again which will be by Christmas but we can work to get the population back before Christmas, Christmas is the peek of the server popularity so we need to focus on making those people stay from Christmas. all the army regiments would be back once the server population is here and the regiments can start doing tryouts for the new people and would be fine and back to normal. You also need motivation and create fun for the regiments. It’s not always RP that’s causing army population to drop it’s that you need to motivate people to play and be active and have fun. The point of the server is to have fun and chill, So let’s make this happen. The army regiments just need a boost of the flow of people so that’s why we need to attract people to the server. 
(Sorry for going a bit off topic here)

• Disagree 1

OK this is a very touchy topic. BUT it isn't up to AHC to make army the best and give role play. it is up to the CO's of those regiments to create role play and give attraction to their regiment. AHC's Main job is to get those CO's into that possition and also create mainly legionary role play. not regimental - my input onto it ( meaning this is how i see it ) ( not saying that is all AHC do either )

Edited by Clover
  • Disagree 11

There is a lot of talk about the number of slots in regiments here, the sizes are fine, slot reduction has already taken place and very recently. Current slot sizes actually make our regiments, regiments, if we go any lower they'll just become squads or teams. The Death Troopers have been a target in this thread and I don't understand why, they have been made of two regiments and they deserve the amount they have, it seems people are finding someone to blame.

You can't really control the flow of recruitment, if more people are going to non-army regiments, its personal preference. If you don't want that, we cannot brainwash people... From my point of view, the server has always been very TI based, as in; army personnel wait around for an event to happen while anyone associated with TI or AWR/IBWD and branches like COMPNOR get to complete fun roleplay. But that is also a comparison between people who wan't to play the server like a First Person Shooter and people who want to Roleplay. But I mean, people who want to play FPS are now drawn to trooper regiments in COMPNOR because their lore gives them access to better weapons than others. But it is also, people being sick and tired of waiting around, having interaction based roleplay, and they would prefer to be in regiments who can roleplay 24/7 and work in headquarters or  regiments who get to sit in a room with the Emperor.

The Army hasn't been doing to well, despite having the most slots combined, we are falling below. Previous replies have mentioned that it is up to commanders to create their own roleplay, even going into event master territory, which commanders should be working with event masters and not taking their job. This has also went on to say it is not up to AHC to give roleplay to commanders, they should create it themselves... AHC are the authority who create and assign missions, commanders are leadership trained, not event creation trained. It is up to AHC to work with event masters to create more immersive experiences for the regiments they have duty of care for. Previous replies have also mentioned that legion missions should take place and not regimental, there should be a mix, people need to bond with their own regiment before their legion. In addition, legions may be categorized, but each regiment has a specific specialty which they should explore alone as well. If anything, legions have seperated the army more than ever, people have become protective and competitive over legions, wanting to be the best in skill and being professional.

Finger pointing has also turned on AHC... They have been doing their best and have been implementing strategies but little happens, it's not something AHC can control any further. A lot of talk has been sort of reshaping the army to make things more fun and immersive but that takes a lot of plan and thought. AHC cannot recruit more into their army if the server is low on players either, they'd just be taking from other branches. Then we go to advertisements, a possibility of  the Media Team but this has been done in the past, advertising for a Garry's Mod SWRP server... it doesn't work. This was also an issue with the IG twitch streamers, you cannot really promote the server. The only way you'll get a large number of players from the use of social media platforms is if you are a huge youtuber with funny content and a fan base who play garry's mod.

This post has just got confusing, there are many points to consider and many points that have been brought up, so what are we focusing on?:

• AHC's role and their effectiveness
  • Current player activity
  • Commanding officers completing their duties
  • Low player count
  • COVID-19's impact on the server / garry's mod community
  • Non-army regiments having 'too many' slots
  • Weapons on the server still being an issue for people who think the server is an FPS
  • Player growth strategies
  • Legion missions and commander made/lead regimental missions

Just as societies economic struggles, we are experiencing player count struggles in these uncertain times, it may be something we have to wait out and see what happens, the server isn't at dead status, this isn't an EG vs IG situation, its just the Army not looking the best. Questions need to be answered but going off at each other isn't helping, we need actual facts and data on our problems.

Edited by Kamelieon
  • Agree 1
  • Upvote 3

Let me give a perspective and criticism from somebody who hasn't been in an army regiment since early/mid 2019.

Despite the notable work AHC have put into incentivising army regiment roleplay, they cannot get past each army regiment's most basic purpose of existence: to shoot and kill. This was the most basic but most impactful issue I had to work around in Government, as its primary purpose was to do clearance tests - a monotonous, repetitive purpose for a regiment to exist, and yet it was required for Government to function. Government died due to the realisation that its primary purpose was boring and that moving to any other regiment would be better for roleplay, fun and one's self-integrity.
I would not be surprised if many members of army regiments, especially more basic ones without an established and/or relevant role, would feel the same about their primary purpose of existence. At the very core, many army regiments are basically reskins of each other with a different gun here and there, all tasked to do the same thing: shoot, kill, win - on and on and on.

Legions were a fantastic addition by AHC at first as it brought many regiments closer together and incentivised interdependent roleplay and purpose. However, the only legion with any notable record of success and cohesion as regiments have been the 501st Legion, given the established background and roles of Vader's Fist, Imperial Commandos, Storm Commandos and the legion itself. Other legions group regiments together in almost a contrived way that do not often succeed in establishing a group role for and purpose of the regiments involved, which has led to disillusion and boredom.

Officer regiments, such as ISB and Navy, have always been an option, but not everybody is wired to type ten essays' worth of words every day for roleplay purposes. This is where the idea of non-army shooting regiments, that have not been cobbled together through contrivance, stand out and thrive due 1. their established lore, role and purpose, 2. separation from the "shoot, kill, win" goals of the army and 3. commanders and supervisors who can cater roleplay to a specific organisation instead of worrying about the masses.
-  Death Troopers are attached to Imperial Intelligence, an entirely separate entity from the rest of the server, and yet involve themselves in many other organisations.
-  Purge Troopers are attached to saber-wielding Inquisitors, which creates an interesting contrast when it comes to roleplay and combat.
-  CompForce are attached to the Imperial Security Bureau who specialise in both agent and trooper roleplay while in COMPNOR.

Issues in the army are including, but not limited to:
-  Legions existing through contrivance when the 501st Legion was the only legion that needed to exist (which was the way that it was from the server's inception).
-  The complete lack of training and consequence when dealing with hostages (or any situation involving heavy, pressured roleplay), leading to the deaths of the hostages 90% of the time.
-  The lack of properly justifying the individuality of regiments outside of a different skin, guns and written purpose. Many regiments have the same purpose and many have niche purposes (that are often nullified in events, an example being Shadow's cloak being seen through in the Moff Owen hostage event) that are brought up in roleplay once in a blue moon (bomb defusals, stealth, sniping, scouting, flamethrowing, etc).
-  Regiment slots being nerfed, leading to chokepoints in ranks.
-  Overworking and the burning out of members of regimental and army command due to COVID and the above problems.

What can we do to fix, or at least alleviate, some of these problems?
1.  The scrubbing of legions (apart from the 501st Legion) would streamline each regiment's roleplay as it would allow more free development of the regiment's purpose. Each AHC General could still be assigned to individual regiments and aid in adding more specialised roleplay rather than roleplay for the legion as a whole.
2.  Better training for handling highly pressured situations would help in reducing loose triggers that ruin the situation for everyone. Hostage situations requiring intense railroading by EMs to even have a chance to succeed is not acceptable and only highlights the "shoot, kill, win" nature of the army.
3.  Returning slots to their original amount to give regiments more chance to grow and progress instead of waiting for a spike in player population.
4.  Bonus: Adding a Stormtrooper recruit rank which set before Private, giving recruits a choice to remain in the Stormtroopers or move to another regiment. This helps the Stormtroopers evolve from simply being the default regiment all recruits join, regardless of the quality of the individual. The addition of a special ops sub-regiment like Widow Squad could also help this.

We also just have to wait. COVID isn't going away any time soon but hopefully it should let up by the end of the year, allowing for a fresh start for the server's fourth anniversary. Burnout will continue to happen in all regiments until things can return to normal. There's always room for improvement, and the proposals here could help alleviate many of the issues plaguing the army.

Also, not all issues with the army are AHC's fault. There are issues regarding events, among other things, that have a notable impact on army roleplay and quality. Events are railroaded to a significant degree, meaning AHC and other command are usually tacked on for the ride when given a situation to deal with. These are issues I'd love to touch on but this isn't the thread for that.

TL;DR there isn't any, read the whole thing please.

Edited by SCHEFF
  • Poggers 1
  • Agree 3
  • Upvote 6

Before I get into this I just want to say this is only one problem that needs to be fixed, not the whole issue. I think a large amount of wanting to join a regiment in some peoples mind is the loadout. "Oh I want to join Shadow, they have cloak that's cool". However what you end up happening is all these non-military regiments end up having the best load outs and can be demotivating to army regiments. For example, why join shadow troopers when you can join Comp Force? You get cloak + taser as well as protection from compnor. The fact that Compforce was actually given cloak was a massive spit in the face to shadow and was one of the reasons for its downfall. 

Never mind the taser issue of half the server having it, ISB treat shock as processing machines and go around acting like super soldiers trying to take down petty and non-petty AOS's. Same with all the other taser regiments. "Why join this army regiment when this other regiment has a much better kit and more protection?

Then you got a assortment of regiments that don't really offer a niche in their loadout and just get completely outclassed by combat regiments in other branches.

Another issue is regimental slots, they've taken some away from the military regiments to try and branch them out and the changes make sense but its not those they should of looked at first, its all the other regiments. Take the navy branch for example. ISC don't need 16 slots, that's absurd and neither do Navy. You can even argue that 10 slots is to much for engineers. Same goes for every other branch on the server, ISB don't need 12 slots for example. Even offshoot things like imperial guard have 12(?) slots even though they offer little to the server. They attacked the military regiments slots in an effort to spread them out but it was never the problem in the first place, those slots never got filled.

Basically there's to much incentive to join another branch over a military and it even goes into the territory of having better or the same level combat abilities. Military regiments should always have the best loadout and I hate the argument of being "Elite or special forces" in order to beef up your kit. If you want a good loadout go military.

• Disagree 4
  • Agree 5
  • Upvote 4