Painted Black | A Star Wars Edit

Hello Everyone!

Over this isolation period, I have had a lot of time to figure out new things that I like and ways that I can fine tune them. Recently, I have gotten into editing compilations from popular TV Shows or Movies, and my most recent edit is based off the Star Wars fandom, so what better place to show it. Before you watch it, please keep in mind that I am not a perfect editor as you can see by the weird enlargement of one of the scenes and the poor quality from the render, but hopefully you can let that slide. If you want to watch it and leave some constructive criticism, that would be greatly appreciated as I am always looking to improve in everything I do. Without further ado, here is my edit for Kylo Ren, who in my mind is a symbol of still having hope, even in the darkest of times. 

- Quick note: It is highly recommended to read the description just in case I've missed something above.

Thank you!

- Bickey

Edited by Bucculus
  • Upvote 1

Good stuff!

For constructive critism, for starters I really like how you placed some scenes together and flicker between to contrast past and present, kinda shows how it's like hard to change your actions once you've made them. As an example, you had the two different sides of Kylo interacting with Han, which I feel worked. I only really feel the only "downside" would be despite some of the scenes being placed well, one or two seemed off, it's hard to explain it. It should build up and up and up to make people take something out of it. This could just be me finding something to critique desperately, but I feel like its just hard to explain it indepth. That's just one or two scenes though, most of the other stuff was done well and had purpose and some sort of message I suppose.

I can't say much else was "bad", aside from I suppose the quality, but as you stated it can't be really helped. Were there some speed ups at certain parts? I ask because at some points the video seemed to become a lot smoother which made it feel weird when it went back to being less frames.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Welly said:

I can't say much else was "bad", aside from I suppose the quality, but as you stated it can't be really helped. Were there some speed ups at certain parts? I ask because at some points the video seemed to become a lot smoother which made it feel weird when it went back to being less frames.

There were some speed ups, but the only time I felt that there was a major smoothing part was the fight between Ray and Kylo. Unfortunately, this was another disturbance which I couldn't avoid as it would mean that some parts of the film would not match or align with the beat. Also, that scene was slowed down in the movie, so to stop that, I had to speed it up. 

I will always apologies for these little things as they do sorta strip the "immersion" (if you want to use that word) from the video. 

Thank you for your feedback, I'm glad you enjoyed it! :D

I enjoyed the video, however, the only thing I suggest is making sure during cuts the viewers eyes stay in the same spot.

For example, if a lightsaber swings over to the middle right of the screen, the next jump cut should start the focal point in the same spot; it helps the story flow and the human brain enjoy it more even subconsciously.

Cool work though, good to take up new hobbies and I can only see you getting better at it.

PS, the original paint it black is better than this cover.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I enjoyed the video, however, the only thing I suggest is making sure during cuts the viewers eyes stay in the same spot.

For example, if a lightsaber swings over to the middle right of the screen, the next jump cut should start the focal point in the same spot; it helps the story flow and the human brain enjoy it more even subconsciously.

Cool work though, good to take up new hobbies and I can only see you getting better at it.

PS, the original paint it black is better than this cover.

Thank you!

I understand that the original song is better, however, it wouldn't of fit the theme of the video. Thanks for your feedback, I'll be sure to take that into consideration during my next edits!