Today what was 105 years ago, Australian and New Zealand forces landed at Gallipoli. These troops would come to be known as the ANZAC (Australian New Zealand Army Corps). When these troops landed they where barraged by Turkish artillery and machine guns, it was a slaughter although Australian and New Zealand forces pushed through and secured the beach which is now known as ANZAC Cove.

Today on this day the 25th of April 2020 we remember the soldiers from ALL wars who fought and died in the name for Australia and New Zealand, to keep us safe. But we also remember all the soldiers who returned from these places of hell who came back injured or scared both mentally and physically. 

I ask from all of you in the community that if you know a Veteran that you give them a call and see how they are doing i can say from first hand experience that this goes a long way. 

I also ask that you if you have not have a minute silence to commemorate Soldiers from all wars Australia has been involved in from WW1 to WW2 to Korea and Vietnam, to East Timor, Solomon Islands, Iraq and Afghanistan. 

"They shall not grow old, as we who are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning. We will remember them"
Lest We Forget.

20200425_061332.jpg

Edited by Angus
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 12

Lest we forget 

Any soldiers who did any task and aided Australia in those wars 

The pilots, the Navy men, the infantry, the RAAF medics during kokoda and the fuzzy fuzzy angels who aided them in the Papua campaign. 

Lest we forget.

o7

• Upvote 1

I like to leave this extract every time ANZAC Day comes around.
It's attributed to Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the founder and first president of the Republic of Turkey. 
Under the Ottoman Empire he was the Colonel tasked with repelling the Allied invasion force from Gallipoli.

It goes:

"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives ... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours ... You, the mothers who sent their sons from faraway countries, wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well." - Atatürk

image.thumb.png.ffb01c4dd12b95fef3d00c34a7c7c499.png

Turkish Commander Mustafa Kemal, later given the name "Atatürk" during presidency = "Father of the Turks"

image.png.927fe18fc42f2528336dd53d4afe7d33.png

ANZAC Troops at Gallipoli after having returned from Lemnos.

For those that wish to learn more about the Gallipoli Campaign I'd suggest this video, it summarises important details but it's still very informative for a 4 minute video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW8O_sisf4I
Alternatively, this is longer however more detailed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeAPkEl8hHg

Lest We Forget.

Edited by Eren
Formatting.
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I realise the day has now passed but each year, to me at least, ANZAC day holds more significance and meaning than any other important day within the calendar. A lot of people do not really realise just how hard these men and women worked to make Australia what it is today and how much they and their families had to sacrifice in doing so. If these individuals didn't do what they did for our country Australia as we know it today would be monumentally different. It pains me to see those who take this all for granted and neglect and disrespect what these men and women did for out nation.

ANZAC day this year however was a true testimony to just how many Australians truly do appreciate the sacrifices that were made, seeing all the people lining their streets and holding their own dawn services to pay tribute was indeed remarkable.  It is great to see all Australians, both young and old have the following words etched into their minds so they can be reminded of these brave men and women.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them. Lest we forget.
"

Lest We Forget.