Clone Wars Should Come Back.

Clone Wars Debate.  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Clone Wars should come back?

• Agree
    • Disagree

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To whom this may concern,   In recent times I've heard a lot of the stories of Clone Wars RP, and a lot of people making passing comments about wanting it back, saying something about "The good ol

Just before everyone gets over hyped Yes the new server will be better No it isn't 4x better so please don't expect 4x performance. With that out of the way I know there's always b

13 minutes ago, Nada said:

Yea why its the perfect time to do it and work on it. The amount of people with the April fools going bruh clone wars even in lego sign me up. I feel like the big ventor map would be a good map as well haven't played on it in ages but was a really optimized map

Is this the one your referring too? 

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1257128301

12 hours ago, Bailey said:

I miss Clone Wars RP, the comradery of it, all the boys together and the memories that came from it, we weren't 100% serious all the time, but we liked our SeriousRP when we needed to be serious, but we relaxed when we needed to. It was one of my favourite times in Garry's Mod, period. We've seen #CloneWarsSaved, but now I want #IGCloneWarsSaved, we can make it better than what it was, I know we can.

+1 - Bring Clone Wars home.

Man Is Speaking straight Facts

CLone wars was fucking Lit and So much fun 

#IGCloneWars

• Poggers 1

I would be happy if that map was actually used due to the other Venator, we could hardly get the Y-wing out if we used it on the other map (i crashed when i attempted to do it)

Edited by Echo

I just hope all the people wanting the return would stick around if the server comes back. I made the switch over about halfway into it’s lifespan and by then we were getting good numbers but this quickly dropped to 20ish per day by the time it closed. It needs dedication from everyone if it were to happen.

• Upvote 1

Just before everyone gets over hyped

Yes the new server will be better

No it isn't 4x better so please don't expect 4x performance.

With that out of the way

I know there's always been a large clone wars fan base in IG and various issues have plagued our previous attempts at expansion. Please keep in mind how hard it actually is to launch a server and not have it die and the amount of work that has to go in. Currently everytime we have launched a server we are competing with already existing servers. It's hard to beat those servers who have matured and have been around for a while. Not to mention the most important part the playerbase. Let's say everyone who voted yes on the pole on this forums (at time of writing) moved over. We will have a 30 man clone wars server at peak assuming no one else moves over. Now people on imperial have been playing for a while and moving to clone wars means a risk. A risk they might lose their rank/position if the server were to fail. So let's assume everyone on imperial who didn't vote yes to this post stays put. The integral part of the server which really shines is having a decent enough amount of people for real Rp to happen. We also need diversity aka multiple regiments to deepen the rp and keep everyone interested. With 30 players enjoyability of rp will fall real quick (assuming they are all on and we don't get anymore.) 

In comes the new player. Keep in mind gmod is a very old game and it's playerbase is on the decline. He looks for a server to play and sees the almost full clone wars server in Australia Vs our 30 man one. What makes our server better than the other server that's nearly full? Maybe the opportunity of a fresh start on a fresh server? this is the hardest part, and unfortunately most gmod servers are popular because they are popular. 

In saying that I would love to see the community expand its just very risky and we need to really ask if the risk is worth the reward when we could possibly divide our community

• Thinking 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 9
5 minutes ago, Ragetank said:

With that out of the way

I know there's always been a large clone wars fan base in IG and various issues have plagued our previous attempts at expansion. Please keep in mind how hard it actually is to launch a server and not have it die and the amount of work that has to go in. Currently everytime we have launched a server we are competing with already existing servers. It's hard to beat those servers who have matured and have been around for a while. Not to mention the most important part the playerbase. Let's say everyone who voted yes on the pole on this forums (at time of writing) moved over. We will have a 30 man clone wars server at peak assuming no one else moves over. Now people on imperial have been playing for a while and moving to clone wars means a risk. A risk they might lose their rank/position if the server were to fail. So let's assume everyone on imperial who didn't vote yes to this post stays put. The integral part of the server which really shines is having a decent enough amount of people for real Rp to happen. We also need diversity aka multiple regiments to deepen the rp and keep everyone interested. With 30 players enjoyability of rp will fall real quick (assuming they are all on and we don't get anymore.) 

In comes the new player. Keep in mind gmod is a very old game and it's playerbase is on the decline. He looks for a server to play and sees the almost full clone wars server in Australia Vs our 30 man one. What makes our server better than the other server that's nearly full? Maybe the opportunity of a fresh start on a fresh server? this is the hardest part, and unfortunately most gmod servers are popular because they are popular. 

In saying that I would love to see the community expand its just very risky and we need to really ask if the risk is worth the reward when we could possibly divide our community

I understand this it wont be much better but I believe its a risk to take to expand with the server constantly getting full as well as some people being burn out on imperial it would be a good place to expand to. Another advantage of clone wars is it is spreading into a known category imperial gaming has a name in SWRP.

There are no realistic clone wars server I know, a lot of people search for this instead of CGI.

I think a lot of people are also getting bored of imperial, clone wars is a good path to go to. I personally am a clone wars fan over imperial. I know this might be hypocritical seeing I have storm trooper armor but not clone trooper. I'm a rare fan of phase 1 but I know alot of people prefer phase 2. I would join and be a staff member on a clone wars and come back fully into gmod im kinda been in and out of it.

3 hours ago, Butcher said:

Would be better to wait for if and when the community goes to Mod&Play...

I wouldn't ever recommend Mod&Play. It's development is riddled with issues. If you looked at the discord for it before all the negative stuff got purged you'd know but there are a few things still there such as;

• DMCA by epic for using the Unreal name without Permission
  • Selling market place addons
  • The game being based off Blueprint and forcing you to use Blueprint
  • and the dev not really knowing what he is doing.

• Upvote 1

I mean, clone wars lasted a reasonably long time as it was (About 4 months I think?) but now the community has expanded far past what it was at its initial release and the server fills up daily and it seems that re-introducing clone wars could actually give people more reason to play on the servers. 

Massive  +1 for all the clone wars boys

46 minutes ago, Ragetank said:

Can you explain why the server isn't 4x better? 

I heard otherwise and just wanna be educated on the matter.

• Upvote 2
46 minutes ago, Aphrodite said:

The hardware is not 4* better.  There is no major software improvements.  Whoever told you it was, lied.

Guest Tackxo
1 hour ago, Twist said:

I wouldn't ever recommend Mod&Play. It's development is riddled with issues. If you looked at the discord for it before all the negative stuff got purged you'd know but there are a few things still there such as;

• DMCA by epic for using the Unreal name without Permission
  • Selling market place addons
  • The game being based off Blueprint and forcing you to use Blueprint
  • and the dev not really knowing what he is doing.

Better than a single core game from 2004 FPS wise 

10 minutes ago, Goliath said:

The hardware is not 4* better.  There is no major software improvements.  Whoever told you it was, lied.

We were told by Kumo that it was essentially 4x better, with Linux being a major software improvement. I don’t think Kumo would lie, he may be unsure, but I’m almost certain he is aware as to what he is talking about when it comes to hardware and software improvements for the Server.

• Upvote 2
8 minutes ago, Bailey said:

We were told by Kumo that it was essentially 4x better, with Linux being a major software improvement. I don’t think Kumo would lie, he may be unsure, but I’m almost certain he is aware as to what he is talking about when it comes to hardware and software improvements for the Server.

I just spoke with @Kumo and that appears to not be the case.  We have 4 times the ram (this may have been some understandable confusion), a bit of a better SSD and an improved core.  His estimate is roughly a 50%, not 400% increase.  Again, if you misinterpreted what he said in the staff meeting and told people that number it is understandable, but it is ultimately not the case.

4 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I just spoke with @Kumo and that appears to not be the case.  We have 4 times the ram (this may have been some understandable confusion), a bit of a better SSD and an improved core.  His estimate is roughly a 50%, not 400% increase.  Again, if you misinterpreted what he said in the staff meeting and told people that number it is understandable, but it is ultimately not the case.

Perhaps, regardless this isn’t what the thread is about and we’re digressing. I still believe the new Dedi will be able to hold Imperial and Clone Wars with ease.

1 hour ago, Aphrodite said:

22 minutes ago, Bailey said:

As the person working with kumo on getting the new dedi setup i'll happily explain to you why. Players on the server only really care about one thing which is performance. Now when everyone goes around hailing 4x the performance thats horribly incorrect and people will expect way too much from it. For the only thing that matters between this server and the other server, hardware wise, its only an 18% improvement. Everything else expands how much capacity we can work with on the server in terms of adding new servers. Yes we are running linux which may or may not yield any performance or stability improvements. With the new OS, new server and some optimizations the very most we could expect (which is pushing it) is about a 50% increase in performance.

I don't want to be that guy but its very important to make sure we don't have people expecting 4x the performance which we wont get. We have more than 4x the specs of our old server in different areas but we will not see that as performance.

7 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Perhaps, regardless this isn’t what the thread is about and we’re digressing. I still believe the new Dedi will be able to hold Imperial and Clone Wars with ease.

This is a fact and I agree with it but like I said there is a whole lot of things to consider before even considering putting up a clone wars server.

40 minutes ago, Guest Tackxo said:

Better than a single core game from 2004 FPS wise 

Incorrect. Garry's Mod has had years of development put in by a large team and the fact that it runs 128 players its insane considering the type of game it is and how old it is. Mod & Play is developed by one guy on unreal. Sure it will look good and sure it will run good if its just you and maybe a few mates but watch it crash and burn when you try and get anywhere near the 60 player mark little lone 128. It will never get to 128 player mark either unless the guy expands his team.

THE NEW SERVER WILL NOT HAVE 4x THE PERFORMANCE

• Upvote 3
18 minutes ago, AussiWozzi said:

Really interested in this server, I hope it comes back! especially since you're making gmod 4 times better with the super server. get the hype ball rolling! #IGCloneWarsSaved

Just now, Budds said:

@AussiWozzi says it all

You two both know better. Post proper replies or stick to your own Community's forums.

• Poggers 1

Here is genuinely an interesting idea, but unsure if you could do it, however, it would help out quite a bit for management.

How about setting up a poll in which if you vote you get like, 1k credits or something, and then put the poll on the server to pop up every now and then.

The credits will be given whether you vote for or against, but you can only vote once, therefor people have a reason to vote and you can get a larger percentage of the communities vote.

Just a thought.

• Poggers 1
  • Upvote 2

IF the server is actually being made (or is currently in the works as we speak) I'd assume it would take alot of time to refine the big and small things server side, with that in mind are you as the development team @Ragetank (Sorry for @ but u da head guy) be expanding to other games such as a Minecraft server which has a significantly easier playerbase to drawin and remain stable with its fluent donation perks, transactions and mc voting system.

(Supreme Commander 2 Imperial Gaming Team surely too)

1 hour ago, Sky said:

Here is genuinely an interesting idea, but unsure if you could do it, however, it would help out quite a bit for management.

How about setting up a poll in which if you vote you get like, 1k credits or something, and then put the poll on the server to pop up every now and then.

The credits will be given whether you vote for or against, but you can only vote once, therefor people have a reason to vote and you can get a larger percentage of the communities vote.

Just a thought.

@Kumo @Ragetank @Cecil @zaspan @Wingza

• Downvote 1
  • Upvote 2

Clonewars was hella fun, there was always something happening and the staff team was incredible active.  I'm sure if it were to return, it would still continue to have an active staff team and people who left the community may even make a return back to it. Definitely feel that the main problem with the server is that it didn't really receive the attention it desperately needed from the people managing it, but I believe if it has the right people behind it managing it, who are constantly looking for ways to improve it with fixes/content etc that it can truly flourish. It can also act as a fresh start for people who might be looking for a new server to play on or for people who might be enjoying imperial as much as they used to. I'm sure a few others from the cw server agree with me when I say playing on that server was some of the most fun I've had playing gmod. Made plenty of friends and had heaps of good experiences playing on that server and would definitely play it if it came back.

• Poggers 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Kumo locked this topic