Sign in to follow this  
Lars

Quests: EC and NPC kills | Discussion

I would like to open up the dialogue to get the communities opinion on these quests.

I personally believe they should be removed and replaced, but with what? My idea is simple.

Replace EC kills with time served as EC; what do I mean?
Spend x amount of time as an event character. Each tier makes you have to be an EC longer, not all in one setting of course but overtime.
This will make people be more willing to be event characters and help out during events, will make events much bigger too.

Replace NPC kills with Event Placement; what do I mean?
Three tiers of simply being part of a regiment that was placed for an event, it wouldn't have to be specific to the spot but just in general.
This will make people much more interactive and steadfast with their role during events, and will make it have more meaning than credits.

Understandably my ideas do have some flaws, which is why this is an open discussion to talk about all ideas presented.

Please, as a community, let everyone know your thoughts and be civil about it.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Sky said:

Everyone in SK would be a millionaire by now

• Facepalm 1
  • Haha 1
  • Poggers 1

16 minutes ago, Sky said:

Replace EC kills with time served as EC; what do I mean?

Cool idea, I like it.

16 minutes ago, Sky said:

Disagree, some regiments can't be placed or don't get placed because they're not running and gunning.

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

Disagree, some regiments can't be placed or don't get placed because they're not running and gunning.

See, that went over my head when thinking of something but I honestly cannot think of a good replacement. 

46 minutes ago, Sky said:

with this like bailey said how some regiments are not running and gunning this also include droids boutny hunters and Massiffs

I don't know if the suggested replacements for the kills are the best, but they're certainly a start.
They encourage and reward the behaviour the server wants to encourage and reward.
The current kill quests are opposed to the RP the server wants, incentivising everything from Rambo assaults on enemies, Rushing to other Reg's battlestations by meta gaming the kill feed, not commsing in hostile locations and not attacking enemies until they get low enough for a kill steal. 
Frankly, I don't understand why there isn't a reward for being ECs. In fact it's the opposite, you can't get EC kills while you're an EC.
The kill quests also help fuel the weapon balance screeching. If you don't have a weapon that allows you to get NPC or EC kills most of the time, like a 6th/ST's E-11 against a hunter shotgun, how are you not going to feel like you need buffs? You literally can't prestige without stooping to mingey tactics to get the kills. 

The best options in my opinion would be to make the event participation quests more EC based rather than Tier 1, and 2 being in an event and an immersive event.

The 1st Tier could simply be participate as an EC, the 2nd Tier could be participate as an EC 3 times, the third could be get 40 kills as an EC or something along those lines.

In terms of the EC kills I don't think it'd be too much of a problem with the following change above as more people would be inclined to be EC's to counteract the people trying to do this quest. The only current problems I see with this quest is that people aren't being EC's frequently enough to satisfy event masters needs, and people are leaving their battle stations to hunt for EC kills regardless of orders. If someone is having a :pjsalt: over someone "Stealing" their EC kill then that's a bit yikes, although I would be annoyed if someone who doesn't belong in my battle station is there for no apparent reason other than EC kills.

To continue on this if someone is spotted leaving their battle station and for some reason their original battle station is left unmanned and overrun, RP punishments could be handed out.

According to the current DEFCON station spreadsheet, the only regiments that have no specific station are EVO, MT, IC, and 6th. Yet I see 6th (sometimes) having more self control and AFK'ing a boring ass engine room with no action or chances for EC kills.

In conclusion, stay at your battle station (unless ordered otherwise). No one likes seeing you in their own battle station.

Setting up quests for players that revolve around events is a rather hard thing to tackle due to the fully dynamic nature on how events work on the server. We event masters aren't AI and cannot make events run 100% smoothly and perfect like events or random encounters in other video games.

Personally I do not like the quests that reward players by getting Non-Player Character and Event Character kills. They create unnecessary difficulties and result in things to be incredibly unnatural; for instance if I wanted to execute an Imperial event character on the spot, I wouldn't be able to confidently do that as some may see it as hogging an EC kill. However, if there was no quest for getting EC kills, I would be able to freely execute an event character without needing to worry. NPCs are also an issue, if I want to run a small mini-RP situation for around 5 people where I send them to a location offship, I won't be able to spawn any NPCs due to the fact it may seem like NPC farming. However, if NPC kills was not a quest, I would be able to freely provide that RP without needing to worry about NPC kill farming. 

Giving players an incentive to actually get a kill instead of doing their duty is very bad. It creates discord and results in players not wishing to RP fully and do what they should be doing, but instead wanting to rush event characters in order to get a kill. I have seen troopers run off from their battlestations on countless of occasions. Troopers should stay at their battlestations and not merely focus on getting kills. The quest to get EC kills turns everyone into a bloodthirsty warmonger who wishes to kill everything and it breaks RP so much. 

There are so many issues in regards to these quests that have actively prevented me from acting out in RP. There are many times I wish to one-tap an event character with my blaster but am prevented due to the possibility of being told of for abusing and farming event character kills. There has been so many occasions during which I am unable to provide actual combat during small PassiveRP missions for specific people due to the probability of NPC farming. 

The removal of these quests would provide such a wider avenue for RP and give event masters a larger roster of utility to use to provide RP for the server and its players. 

The best bet is to have a quest that counts how long you've been an EC. The only issue that may arise is the fact that Event Masters sit in the Event Character job when doing events. It may, however, be argued that them doing the event is enough for them to be rewarded with the quest.

I do not agree with a quest that counts how many kills you get as an event character. Many EMs do mini-boss or boss character archetypes for our events. It usually involves us running around with a special model with a high amount of HP and some powerful gun and a gimmick, and trust me, it nets you a lot of kills. A lot of people can agree with me that when being an event character, it is incredibly easy to actually get a kill. This quest should not be a thing.

The idea of a quest to earn placings. I believe that this sort of quest has already existed in the past but got removed due to obvious reasons that certain regiments are unable to get placed. There is also an additional issue that there is no ascertained way for us event masters to actually determine placings. Sure, we can keep our eyes open and look at who does good during events, but we are not AI and do not have the ability to calculate who did the best during an event.

There's my short passionate essay about the EC kill and NPC kill quest.

• Upvote 4

I totally agree that the quests should be replaced with  something more appropriate. Unfortunately as far as I'm aware in order to add a new quest or replace the current ones we would need to do a reset so it's fair for all(and technical restrictions).

• Upvote 5

Not gonna lie, I've been stuck on these two as well as the Arcade questline ever since I rejoined the server over a month ago. I'm still on Tier 1 of the NPC killing quest, and that's mainly because I'm currently a Shock Trooper, who, yanno, has to guard 90% of the time during events. Thus, we don't always get a lot of EC/NPC kills, and events end up getting boring for some people so they do as @Kristofer stated and start not doing their duties to run off and find kills. I'm sure I can say the same for some other regiments as well as Shock.

In my honest opinion, the questlines shouldn't be 'grindy' in any aspect - nor should they incite people to "complete quests for the hell of it". They shouldn't be piss-easy, either, but they need to be unique and challenging enough that the reward is worth the time put into completing it. I feel like the replacement quests should draw on the necessities of a user's imagination/creativity and levels of roleplay, which in turn would keep the whole quest-aspect in RP without turning it into an all-out generic FPS, and possibly even enhance some RP scenarios.

It might be an idea to take some pages out of other video games that have radiant/repeatable/unique quests that are universally enjoyable, such as in Skyrim or even GTA.

Edited by Greyback

On 4/11/2020 at 7:43 AM, Ragetank said:

I totally agree that the quests should be replaced with  something more appropriate. Unfortunately as far as I'm aware in order to add a new quest or replace the current ones we would need to do a reset so it's fair for all(and technical restrictions).

100% what I was thinking

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this