Sign in to follow this  
Thrax

Flixs's SmoothCam

Addon Name: Flixs's SmoothCam

Addon Link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=944537792

Size: .005 MB

Reasons: So I'm working with the Coalition For Progress, and one of our current projects is to do showcases for most of the regiments. While we could use the standard or cinematic camera that is used in most Gmod videos, having the option for a smoother camera, not bound to the regular walking motions, will open up opportunities to make a more superior product. This would be of benefit to all regiments that are currently in the process of, or waiting list for a showcase. 

I've taken the liberty of creating a couple of concepts of some map style walkthroughs/trailers to demonstrate what could be done. Now keep in mind, these videos are mostly for testing, and much of what is seen would be significantly different if we had the server running as per normal, populating much of the shots with their day to day operations.

NOTE: This does come with the drawback of noclip style functions. HOWEVER, it is limited to the loaded area the player is in, so if they are at the end of the tramline, near MH2, they can't see down the stairs. This would need to be investigated or limited to the use of trusted individuals.

Examples: (All videos unlisted for testing use only)

1: DS-01 Style Trailer

Spoiler

Example 2: Anaxes Showcase

Spoiler

Example 3: Star Destroyer Display

Spoiler

Example 4: Rhen Var Trailer

Spoiler

So pretty much, while we're tasked with making people look nice and all, this tool would be able to help us with a lot more variety than the standard and cinematic camera.

Edited by Thrax
  • Poggers 4
  • Upvote 4

I believe that this would be one of those "test it to see if it works or if it's abused" type of ordeals, it would be extremely useful for CFP and let it be said now, anyone who abuses it would be without a question removed, blacklisted and then staff action after which. 

As the lead of the "Regimental Showcase" project, I REALLY NEED this personally. It could help me do things such as show off starfighters and various perspectives. These positions I use for the visuals would be given an RP reason as to how the camera would be there so that it's still kept within RP. 

As it stands, I am needed to request to be no-clipped to record the ISC, which is obviously very iffy. This add-on would allow for a normal player such as myself and others within CFP to get much more done and much more effectively. The results will be shown in the quality of our work.

That also being said, cinematics with this tool would be wonderful and allow for better footage. This tool is small enough to not take up much server content and is a quality of life thing to have handy.

All-in-all, this has to many positives that outweigh the negatives and is currently a must-have for the CFP especially unless there is some sort of technical issues with it for the Devs.

• Poggers 1
  • Upvote 2

It is hard to capture the essence of the Server in single player, as much as my protégés here have done well with their current projects and films, they lack the server ‘flair’ in having life to them.

Cinematic camera helps for big projects in GMod that actually look good, unlike many that are janky and very rough with their camerawork.

Its abusable, I won’t lie, it essentially gives a player freecam, however, my regiment are responsible enough not to abuse this tool (since it’s an addition to the camera tool), and as Welly said, if caught doing so, will be blacklisted from the regiment and dealt with I an OOC manner.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Where was this addon when the Media Team was still a thing :(

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Eren said:

Where was this addon when the Media Team was still a thing :(

Hidden and lost to the ages.

Love the look of this, seems like something that could benefit a lot of people in their regimental/individual projects.

1 hour ago, Kristofer said:

That intro looks sick ngl

The CFP are out here on the block. We got shooters bro

I looked at the core code of the workshop add-on, can be easily exploited in multiple ways to crash the server. Parts of it are pretty inefficient as well.

Would recommend recoding the add-on before adding :)

Edited by hypo
found more exploits
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this