Welly

Elevator Rules - What's your take?

Hey everyone.

Throughout today, there's undoubtedly been disputes and a divide within the community. Personally, I find it upsetting that even people in COMPNOR who had no part in it are getting targeted. On the flipside, it's obviously a frustrating rule. So: what's your take? Do you think it's better on paper than in action? Do you believe it's an adjustment that'll need to get used to? I'm genuinely not ready to have to deal with this change being problematic across the community because of RP reasons as I've already read the outrage in OOC.

Before you call this a rile-up or makes the community split more: Let's keep this civil and come to a middleground or decision by the end of it to put in the Suggestions part of the forums or send the ideas collected back to the people who enforced the rule. On that note, also let's NOT witchhunt people who made the rule.

Again, I'm not trying to make a big deal of nothing, but people obviously need to have their opinions voiced on the matter before it goes further. Please understand I'm doing this out of genuine concern, not hate.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jye said:

What rules?

Can't climb up or down elevators anymore as it is "disorderly conduct".

It is a very poorly thought out rule that hinders peoples abilities to move around the SD.

• Upvote 2

It's abit annoying, here's why:

Elevators are commonly abused - when people call them back down when its in the process of moving people upwards, so climbswep was an easy way to fix that.

When coming down it becomes tiring after a year of playing the server to wait about 10 seconds for that elevator to come up, to hop on, and then wait another 10 seconds to go back down when it could've just been a quick 2 second drop with Climbswep.

Also, props to @Welly for making this thread.
This was definitely something that needed addressing & discussion considering:

image.thumb.png.9eeba5f4d456f747a94e6c62972fdefc.png

Edited by Eren
  • Upvote 1

Personally I think it is a more appropriate way of approaching RP and making it more consistent. However, It does start conflicts and complaints as stated above by Eren. In my opinion, it should be something looked down upon but there is no need to be AOS'ed or re educated for the manner.

• Upvote 3

As someone who has played on this server for 3 years...

NO.

If I wanna break my legs falling down an elevator, I will. If I wanna avoid mingy players from repeatedly pressing the elevator button, I will. I have better things to do than wait for elevator abuse.

Edited by SCHEFF
  • Upvote 6

Not trying to sound harsh, but it's just a bad and pointless rule period.

Completely removes the need for climbswep entirely, since you could hold the whole "disorderly conduct" for anywhere else you want to drop down/climb from. It's also just weird going to the elevator and seeing a couple people watching it just to make sure you press a button.

It's a bit too much

• Upvote 4

Honestly if we're looking at it as a way to make RP more consistent and realistic (and I really see no other reason for this being a rule), then we should make jogging/sprinting without orders to "move on the double/triple time" looked down upon or AOSable as well. Much like climbing up/down the elevator, it doesn't harm anyone but for the sake of RP I think it has to be done.

• Upvote 5

Rule is in place but I’m climbing and jumping down the elevator because the only people who can punish me are lower ranks than me and I can order them not to, because COMPNOR are the ones who punish that stuff.

Do with that what you will.

• Thinking 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, John said:

may as well remove climbswep from the server

Denied reapply in two weeks thanks.

• Downvote 14

i think it's seems to be causing a lot more of an annoyance for everyone than it is making people happy because they get to keep some "immersion"

Not a fan of the rule, only for the reason that you have old mate sitting at the bottom of the elevator with his arms crossed afk but not afk only to go, alright you're coming with me buddy. Blocks the traffic, and causes too much dispute. Get rid of it IMHO

Ew gross no, As someone who has been in shock for multiple years waiting for that elevator could mean the difference between catchin the suspect instaily or going on a 10 minute search, This is a dumb rule where the energy that was used to implant this rule could be used elsewhere

Edited by Ash

In what star wars universe would somebody jump down an elevator only to break their legs only be put out of commission for a week in the medical facility, just because they wanted to get somewhere faster? Or to climb up a flush wall with no way to hang onto anything and most likely have no training to do so? The fact that this is seen as "decent role-play" on a serious RP server stuns me, maybe in intense situations it can be ignored such as when you have a squad of rebels right behind you and its your only escape option to jump but other than that it's pretty much fail-RP. Like during regular day to day duties no character in the correct mind would be doing such things.

From what I can gather the rule was introduced in role-play due to a clear misconduct from personnel in an attempt to rectify it that also has the benefit of immersion and abiding by the servers serious RP status rather than resulting in going to OOC staff and requesting that people be given warns for fail-RP.

Role-play needs to improve, it's a serious RP server for a reason and it can be done in many more ways but if you want to make a start you can do so by not jumping down an elevator.

• Downvote 2
  • Upvote 7

37 minutes ago, Jman1308 said:

Role-play needs to improve, it's a serious RP server

While I agree with this notion, there’s plenty of other lore & RP aspects of the server that are thrown out of the window for convenience or balance.

39 minutes ago, Jman1308 said:

In what star wars universe would somebody jump down an elevator only to break their legs only be put out of commission for a week in the medical facility

Using the excuse of lore doesn’t really hold up when we do often discard it for balance on the server. Lore is only valuable so far until it begins to become an obstacle for the server and its player base. 

Climbswepping up/down the elevator, up until now, was one of those balances.

• Upvote 5

59 minutes ago, Jman1308 said:

In what star wars universe would somebody jump down an elevator only to break their legs only be put out of commission for a week in the medical facility, just because they wanted to get somewhere faster? Or to climb up a flush wall with no way to hang onto anything and most likely have no training to do so? The fact that this is seen as "decent role-play" on a serious RP server stuns me, maybe in intense situations it can be ignored such as when you have a squad of rebels right behind you and its your only escape option to jump but other than that it's pretty much fail-RP. Like during regular day to day duties no character in the correct mind would be doing such things.

From what I can gather the rule was introduced in role-play due to a clear misconduct from personnel in an attempt to rectify it that also has the benefit of immersion and abiding by the servers serious RP status rather than resulting in going to OOC staff and requesting that people be given warns for fail-RP.

Role-play needs to improve, it's a serious RP server for a reason and it can be done in many more ways but if you want to make a start you can do so by not jumping down an elevator.

If this is the case, then climbswep itself should be removed from the server. The reason why we have climbswep is for convenience of the players to be able to get to areas and make it easier to get around. If we are truely basing it off immersion then yes, it is in a way FailRP to climbswep up an elevator, but at the same time this would also make it failrp to scale vertical walls with just your hands, especially when the walls are inclined. In reality the idea of climbswep itself is not RP friendly, but it allows for more flexibility and easy access for the users which in my opinion is more of a benefit then negative even if it sacrifices a small amount of immersion. Complete SeriousRP is simply not achievable on a Garry’s mod server without sacrificing many benefits and comforts that allows majority of the populace of the server to have a more enjoyable experience. In order to achieve balance on the server I believe it is necessary to sacrifice some factors of seriousrp for the enjoyment of the player, in this case it would be the idea of climbswep. Climbswep is a very useful tool and makes everyone’s lives so much easier, In reality if you intend to ban 1 aspect of climbswep such as climbing up an elevator due to it being ‘FailRP’ or disorderly conduct then the argument should be used the same for every use of climbswep when scaling a wall when it is above DEFCON 4.  I see this decision causing more harm then good, it is evident that majority of the player base will happily sacrifice a small amount of immersion if it means they have easier and more effective ways to get around, even more so when climbing up an elevator has little to no effect on others.

Edited by Splonter
  • Thinking 1
  • Upvote 5

I see no reason why people shouldn't be able to jump down also you got those people who like to click the button and run off. 

Edited by Echo

Will just make a script that stops people from spamming the elevator buttons or pressing them when they're in movement - simple.

• Upvote 15