In Game Regiment: Unassigned

Ban Details

image.png

How long was the ban for: Permanent

Which staff member banned you: L. Karatha

What date did the ban occur: 12/02/2020

What was the reason for the ban: Threatening to dox someone

Explain the situation in detail which led to you being banned:

• I put in local chat that I would "backtrace your ip". (I can't provide any other context, it was not direct at anyone and was part of a collective banter.)
  • Threatening to dox another member is considered a permanently bannable offense.
  • I told the staff member that I work in cyber security, and that it was a joke, and that I do apologize.
  • I was banned immediately thereafter.

Why do you believe you deserve to be unbanned / given a second chance:

• Back-tracing - by definition - requires a trace. There is no peer-to-peer connection between players of a Garry's Mod server. I could 'backtrace' to the server, but not to another player.
  • With this context in mind, I was acting in parody of a 'Script kiddie' for comedic effect. 
  • My comments where for public comedic value, and were not directed at any one player. This was not harassment.
  • Threatening to dox another member is a serious offense with a serious punishment, in my case I do not believe the punishment is justified.
Edited by nextgenhacker101
I only speak in lists of threes, rhymes, and-
  • Thinking 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Upvote 2

https://imgur.com/a/Uc88t8N

I am going to have to say neutral to a number of reasons. Threatening to doxx someone whether taken as a joke or not is a serious threat. I personally don't know if you had the capability to do such a thing, however if someone were to be affected by an actual doxx then it would be an issue. I was called in because someone felt as if they were unsafe in a situation. Due to your prior ban showing that you were listed as someone who has no intention to RP (NITRP) it seemed like it could have been an issue. Seeing as you did take the time to make the post to be unbanned and you did apologise at the time, I will remain neutral however I would like to see a bit more effort on the side of the application before making a final call one way or another.

Disregarding "if had the capability to do such a thing...", we're left with:

• If someone were to be affected by an actual dox then it would be an issue.
  • I was called in because someone felt as if they were unsafe in a situation.

As you've noted, I apologised at the time. As I've explained, my comment was contextually for parody, and not directed at any individual player.

Taking the position of "[I am] neutral" is a cop out. You are the gatekeeper, you hold all the keys, you have to make a decision.

There is no argument I can make against "Threatening to dox someone whether taken as a joke or not is a serious threat."

Edited by nextgenhacker101
  • Downvote 3
  • Advisor

>"Threatening to dox another member is a serious offense with a serious punishment, in my case I do not believe the punishment is justified."

>I told the staff member that I work in cyber security, and that it was a joke, and that I do apologize.

>If you work in cyber security then you should know better to joke about it. Privacy is your main policy.

This sums it up pretty nicely, you say you work in cyber security however decide to make a joke like this full knowing that if you made a "Joke" like this while on your worksite in public you would probably let go faster than Rose let go of Jack (Titanic reference). You say your punishment is not justified however at the same time you should know full well that even if its a joke there are things you say in public (ooc) and things you say in private when joking around especially if there's no context whatsoever. 

And finally

>Taking the position of "[I am] neutral" is a cop out. You are the gatekeeper, you hold all the keys, you have to make a decision.

I dont think you are in any place to be able to make that sort of comment, if a staff wishes to be neutral then they can be neutral about it, it shows when the person counts the ratio they can see what the staff think about you. At the moment I honestly would reject you just by what you are saying however I allow the staff to make their own thoughts about it and post. I suggest rethinking how you talk to people here if you wish to continue to be part of this community as it seems you dont understand how it works here. 

• Upvote 1

- Personally I believe you should wait at least a few weeks for everything to cool down before you apply, considering what you were banned for is pretty serious even if it was just a joke.

• Luigi locked this topic