[SPOILERS] The Mandalorian: Season Finale Discussion

Spoiler

The Mandalorian Episode 8: Season Finale Discussion

Once again, all text MUST be within a spoiler or be hidden and I'll be issuing a written warning for the first offence. This is the season finale, and so, it will be a heated discussion because there may or may not be a cliff hanger, etc.

I liked the beginning of the episode, just reminding us how the season went and highlighting the closeness and the brotherhood of the Mandalorian's. Then they reminded us about our boy Kuiil dying, and it really cut me deep, so I spent the first minute of the episode crying.

The actual beginning of the episode had us jump right back in where we left off, a direct follow up to the Scout Troopers grabbing Baby Yoda. Then Scout Trooper #1 hit Baby Yoda and I wanted him dead and dismembered, you cant hit the GOAT like that.

I actually really liked the beginning of the episode, even though they hit Baby Yoda, it showed the average trooper, just chilling, talking and speaking to each other, it was a really funny moment in such a horrendous ending to the last episode. Then uhhh, we got some Stormtrooper aim and more chatting, it really humanized them and was comedic, but not overly comedic that it took me out of the episode. Baby Yoda fought back too and bit one, f**kin oath.

IG-11 is an absolute champion, saving Baby Yoda. He's proved himself to be one of the good guys, and the way he took them down was f**king sick as well, such ease and power, you can still see that he used to be a Hunter Droid.

They also finally mentioned E-Webs in canon! Which is sick as f**k too, @Mono has a soft spot for E-Webs I'm aware. So hopefully he enjoyed that little scene. Them trying to escape via the sewers was cool because Gideon knew they were screwed, listing off their names, which we now both know fully, with the correct spelling. Carasynthia Dune for Cara Dune and Din Djarrin (I was spelling it wrong) for the Mando. His taunts were absolutely brutal as well, hitting close to Cara and Din with the siege of Mandalore and the Rebel Shock Troopers being vaporized.

Firstly, Giancarlo Esposito who plays Moff Gideon is absolutely perfect in his role, his acting is superb and you can see the fear wash over the other members of the cast as they try to decide what to do, realising its Moff Gideon and the line of "Mandalorian isn't a race, its a Creed" was also so epic.

A bit more of Din's backstory was nice to see too, and how he was able to piece together who the Moff was just from him knowing his name. The backstory was heartbreaking as well, watching Din's family leave him behind in order to keep him safe broke my heart. THEN THE MUSIC PICKS UP WHEN THE MANDALORIAN COMES AND SAVES DIN, that had my hyped as f**k. The Mandalorian's pulling up with their jetpacks and blasters to protect the people from the Separatist droids. I also had a quick google and the sigil on the side of their shoulders showed that it was Clan Vizsla who saved Din.

When IG-11 had Baby Yoda, I was kinda of worried, since he said "I'm fulfilling my base function." so I was hoping ol Baby Yoda was ok, and h was. IG-11 PULLING UP WITH THE STRAP AND THE SPEEDER BIKE HAD ME ALL KINDS OF HYPE, BABY YODA WITH HIM TOO. Then Cara whipping out the T-21 (I think).

That whole action set piece was f**king sick man, the hand-to-hand combat between Din and the DT had me hyped, Din picking up the E-Web like a turret from halo and using it to deal with them was hype af.

Cara and the DT fighting had me stressed a bit, since we know she's a badass but not how much of one. Gideon was also quite ingenious, not wanting to fight Din on his own due to the E-Web cannon and then WE FINALLY get some near-death injuries through Beskar armour.

The sequence of Din lying on the ground knowing he's going to die had me a little emotional, refusing to take his helmet off even if it might save his life and giving up his sigil so Cara and the rest can get to safety at a Mandalorian Covert.

THE IMPERIAL FLAMETROOPER WAS SO COOL. He felt so powerful even in normal ST armour. Din again, wanted to live and die by the Mandalorian Creed, wanting a warrior's death and hitting us again with the "This is the Way."

THEN BABY YODA, THE YOUNG G.O.A.T HIMSELF PULLS UP WITH THE FORCE POWER THROWING THE FLAMES BACK AT THE FLAMETROOPER OH MY f**kING GOD WHAT THE, HES THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME AND NO ONE CHANGES MY MIND. THATS FAX.

As much as I wanted to believe Din would die, there's no way they're killing him in a show named after him, not this early at least. Then the whole line of "No living thing has seen me without my helmet since I swore the creed." had me realise that IG was going to take his helmet off because he was a droid.

Pedro Pascal always looks great, a very well cast role, and seeing his face for the first time wasn't underwhelming either, he was sweaty, he was hurt and there was just a touch of comedy with the "Your Central Processing Unit is hurt." and the "It was a joke meant to put you at ease." was well received by me.

Them searching for the Mando covert had me thinking "They won't be there I think, they've all moved now." but when we got there and all the armour pieces were on the ground, it tore me apart, once again feeling the emotion eminating from Din even with his mask on.

The Armourer had me intruiged, how she survived, etcetera, but the conversation between her and Din about Baby Yoda and what Din is obligated to do in regards to the Mandalorian creed. Once again hitting us with a "This is the way" a few times. As well as giving Din his signet, which I thought was Baby Yoda for a moment, but I'm glad it wasn't. It doesn't somewhat represent him though, with the two spikes as ears.

The reference of a jetpack being known as a "Rising Phoenix" and then him GETTING HIS OWN f**kING JETPACK HAD ME HYPEDDDDDDDDDD.

Bam, then they went off on their way again, with that score, that f**king awesome score, I love it so much. THEN THE ARMOURER KICKING SOME ASS, GODDAMN. SHE SHATTERED HELMETS, THAT WAS AWESOME.

The IG-11 droid with the "Watch your feet, its molten lava." had me laughing again, he's good comedic relief. I was mad confused about the swole as f**k R2 unit paddling them around, but like, I aint even mad. Swole R2 do be kind of vibing though.

IG-11 got me emotional too, Din even conected with the droid, his heart softening a little bit, originally hating him and now being sad that he is willing to sacrifice himself for the crew, I actually can't believe I teared up over a droid from Star Wars, but he was just such a good dude, even if he wasn't really a dude. His sacrifice let Baby Yoda live, and I aint forgetting that, IG-11 is going down in history as one of the GOATs and I mean it.

Greef Karge asking Baby Yoda "to do the magic hand thing" was funny, and wasn't really comedic for their purposes but was one where you could feel the tension in their voices.

Then holy f**k, he whipped out the jetpack and I was ready for some quality Mandalorian action, but was pleasantly surprised to see that he didn't use it much, as he didn't really know how to use it, only using it in short bursts in specific directions.

The TIE fighter fight was really well done to me, Din using his devices, and his landing wasn't perfect either which once again shows his newness to the jetpack.

The ending of the episode had me a bit emotional as well, Greef offering him back, then him declining in order to serve his purpose as Baby Yoda's Father, then the call back to him being lifted into the air via jetpack and now Baby Yoda being lifted. Then Kuiil's grave actually had me shed a few tears, it just looked so...sad, to me. 

Then him giving Baby Yoda the Mythosaur necklace was a nice touch too, I thimk its showing us that Baby Yoda may grow into a Mandalorian alongside Din.

Then obviously Gideon wasn't going to be dead right, we all knew that. BUT HIM HAVING THE f**kING DARK SABER HAD ME HYPE. WE FINALLY SEE IT IN LIVE ACTION FIRSTLY, SECONDLY, HE HAS THE f**kING DARK SABER, DOES THAT MAKE HIM THE MANDALORE? WHAT HAPPENS IF HE TELLS MANDALORIANS TO KILL DIN? DOES THAT EXPEL DIN FROM BEING A MANDO?!?!?!?! WHAT A f**kING ENDING TO THE SEASON.

Overall, this was my favourite episode, the pacing was good, the action was good, it felt like there was consequences, with the only time it felt like he was OP was the bacta healing, but, Star Wars, what can you do.

This show gets better and better, I'm so happy its good and can't wait for season 2.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5
40 minutes ago, [IG] Tackxo said:
  Reveal hidden contents

When I saw that Dark Saber I think I cried

Spoiler

Bro, the fact that we finally see it in live action, is so sick.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Stathi said:
  Hide contents

It will be interesting to see what Moff Gideon does with such power, I still don't get the whole concept of the Dark Saber though.

Spoiler

The reason he has the Dark Sabre is because he was an ISB Agent stationed on Mandalore than presumably oversaw the Great Purge, and hence took the Dark Sabre as a trophie of sorts. A similar thing happened with Agent Kallus in Star Wars: Rebels where he oversaw the destruction of Lasan and took a Bo-Rifle as a trophie. 

• Like 1
Spoiler

I noticed the DT had the nicer gun sound for their E-11D this time around and that flame trooper was lookin kinda thicc.

Also, think they milked the tears a little to hard with IG-11, I didn't really care when the clanka blew up.

Edited by FlappuCatu
Spoiler
4 minutes ago, pinejack said:
  Hide contents

The reason he has the Dark Sabre is because he was an ISB Agent stationed on Mandalore than presumably oversaw the Great Purge, and hence took the Dark Sabre as a trophie of sorts. A similar thing happened with Agent Kallus in Star Wars: Rebels where he oversaw the destruction of Lasan and took a Bo-Rifle as a trophie. 

Yeah well

Sabine wren had it in rebels so i guess he stole it from her...

Spoiler

Loved the Death Troopers and their hand to hand combat, I hope this isn't the last we see of them in the show. I want to see more in Season 2.

I liked the way that IG-11 went out, for those who didn't notice Mando actually cared about him and was trying to talk him out of it which was a nice little nod to his old hate for droids wanting nothing to do with them.

The darksaber was cool and I hope we find out more in Season 2 however I feel like @pinejack's reasoning for the Moff having it is pretty spot on.

1 hour ago, Delta said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yeah well

Sabine wren had it in rebels so i guess he stole it from her...

Spoiler

Nah Sabine handed it up to Duchess Satine's Sister prior to leaving with the Ghost Crew again.

Spoiler

Finale was very epic ngl

The scout trooper beginning was pretty good lmao.

I think that them showing us his face was not really needed and could've been a cool shot like in episode 4 because showing us his face now doesn't really carry any effect but rather makes it less intereting for when it's supposed to have effect later on (assuming there is a later on).

Baby Yoda is and always will be the most adorable thing in the galaxy with magic 100. The part where they make them into a 2 man mandalorian clan is very epic.

The backstory of the Mando was very nice. I feel like there could've been more shown there but it was enough to satisfy me :P 

Din's 'death scene' was ok though I knew for a fact that he was going to survive, if they killed him off they would've concluded the show and with a bunch of things unexplained (including where the f**k baby yoda came from, I refuse to say that yoda x yaddle fanfictions are real) which we all know wouldn't work.

Overral it was an amazing episode and I can't wait for the next season!

F to my man Kuiil.

This is the way :)