ISD V2.5 Update

1 minute ago, Mongo said:

So the old recruit room is being removed. will it just be a corridor or will something replace it there?

Corridor presumably, map is reaching its limits in the Hammer Edtior he said.

2 minutes ago, Ragetank said:

All lights should go off when the reactor goes off.
I need this please lord bestow this upon us.

+1 As an Engineer, I would like a ship lights button... For RP reasons...

• Angry 1
18 minutes ago, Ragetank said:

I mean it provides RP benefits, but could become annoying each time the reactor is turned off. A subsidiary reactor would power the lights, but having possibly two buttons in the admin room on the other side of engine room in which provides two options, lights on (red dimmed glow) like in rebels when on active auxiliary power, and a full lights off function.

When lights are off, having range of visibility to a minimum would be great for events that aim to be creepy or scary.

@Guskywalker Also, one of the screenshots of some hallway at tram line stairs doesn't look too well realistic or pleasing to the eye as half of it is technically flying. Does Lord Trilobites have the intention to fix it at some stage? trying to make walls / corridors blend in a bit more with their surroundings?

Edited by TheNegotiator
1 hour ago, Ragetank said:

59 minutes ago, TheNegotiator said:

I mean it provides RP benefits, but could become annoying each time the reactor is turned off. A subsidiary reactor would power the lights, but having possibly two buttons in the admin room on the other side of engine room in which provides two options, lights on (red dimmed glow) like in rebels when on active auxiliary power, and a full lights off function.

When lights are off, having range of visibility to a minimum would be great for events that aim to be creepy or scary.

@Guskywalker Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Lord Trilobite stated a while ago somewhere that dynamic/changeable lighting is not possible within the limits of the Hammer Editor, at least for a map as bloated as rp_stardestroyer.

However, the fact that KingPommes managed to include changeable lighting states in rp_venator and (I believe) rp_deathstar leads me to believe that if Lord Trilobite rebuilt the map from scratch, he would have room to include a lot more. Keep in mind the map is more than six years old at this point. Also keep in mind I've never touched Hammer Editor in my life so my opinion is largely baseless; I'm just familiar with how the map works and compares against others.

Edited by SCHEFF
  • Upvote 1

Another amazing update by our lord and saviour.

Love that the destructible shield domes are coming back; that's a solid hit of nostalgia. The new security deck and recruit room definitely look like they'll need some getting used to, but I'm very sure their changes will be beneficial in the long run. The changes to the reactor will also make the regular "run to the reactor and turn it off and shoot" events a little less stale and include more variety in roleplay.

What would we do without Lord Trilobite?

4 hours ago, Ragetank said:

any step we can get closer to rishimoon is a step i can support

• Upvote 1

@Ragetank @JDark47 @TheNegotiator @SCHEFF @Mord

4 hours ago, Ragetank said:

Pretty much the problem with creating different light settings is that it is horrible for performance. As the ISD is already a massive map with many features, Trilobite can't add a lights off feature. With the Pommes' DS map when the alarm goes off the walls and light flash red and white. This feature is different as it doesn't change the maps lighting. Instead, it oscillates the two bodygroups on the panels which produces a flashing effect. While this may be possible in the future for the ISD, the walls would need to swtich from brushes to props and a second bodygroup would need to be made for each panel. In short, its a great idea but anything like it is unlikely to happen anytime soon.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Guskywalker said:

Pretty much the problem with creating different light settings is that it is horrible for performance. As the ISD is already a massive map with many features, Trilobite can't add a lights off feature. With the Pommes' DS map when the alarm goes off the walls and light flash red and white. This feature is different as it doesn't change the maps lighting. Instead, it oscillates the two bodygroups on the panels which produces a flashing effect. While this may be possible in the future for the ISD, the walls would need to swtich from brushes to props and a second bodygroup would need to be made for each panel. In short, its a great idea but anything like it is unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Would the same process need to be taken in order to make it darker? Make the lights red instead of completely off?

ISDs would probably have some kind of backup power which i would imagine include red auxiliary lights or something similar. I am no mapper so i feel that i should just suggest.

Thanks for the comments all! Glad to see you're liking the previews. And thanks to Gusky for making a comprehensive post on what's to be expected.

8 hours ago, Mongo said:

So the old recruit room is being removed. will it just be a corridor or will something replace it there?

Right now, I have just removed that whole room there. So there's just a corridor. Removing the room does open up a lot of potential space. So who knows, maybe in the future I will add something else there.

7 hours ago, TheNegotiator said:

Also, one of the screenshots of some hallway at tram line stairs doesn't look too well realistic or pleasing to the eye as half of it is technically flying. Does Lord Trilobites have the intention to fix it at some stage? trying to make walls / corridors blend in a bit more with their surroundings?

This is a test build. As a result the lighting isn't as realistic or detailed. This impacts how models (arches in this case) are lit. Getting models to be lit correctly and blend into the rest of the map can sometimes be an issue. But yes the lighting will be better.

7 hours ago, Ragetank said:

7 hours ago, TheNegotiator said:

6 hours ago, SCHEFF said:

@Guskywalker Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Lord Trilobite stated a while ago somewhere that dynamic/changeable lighting is not possible within the limits of the Hammer Editor, at least for a map as bloated as rp_stardestroyer.

However, the fact that KingPommes managed to include changeable lighting states in rp_venator and (I believe) rp_deathstar leads me to believe that if Lord Trilobite rebuilt the map from scratch, he would have room to include a lot more. Keep in mind the map is more than six years old at this point. Also keep in mind I've never touched Hammer Editor in my life so my opinion is largely baseless; I'm just familiar with how the map works and compares against others.

2 hours ago, Guskywalker said:

1 hour ago, Delta said:

Looks dope,

maybe an AUX Power switch for the Lights though

Update looks dope, thank you gusky 

Let me just clear this up so there is no confusion on this issue.

Dynamic lights will never ever be added to this map. Personally I don't think dynamic lights add that much for impact it has on the performance of the map. Sure it can be fun for some scenarios of RP. But there are several big problems with dynamic lights in the Source engine. And by dynamic lights I mean any light that is cast by a light entity that changes. Lights that can be moved, turned off or changed in colour would all be dynamic. The lights in the map now are all static because they do not change.

The Source engine is very old at this point and it's not very good at dynamic lights. Dynamic lights tend to look worse as the light calculations don't seem to be as nice as static lights. So it's just ugly in most cases. Which is not acceptable imo. Dynamic lights will also lower performance since there is much more to take into account when compared to lights that don't ever change.

It's just not something I think is worth it. At least not for the whole ship. For like a single room it might be interesting to have a dynamic light as that wouldn't impact performance that much. But otherwise, absolutely not.

But...
Changing textures like KingPommes did on his Venator and Death Star maps is completely different. Generally lit textures do not cast their own light. Like KingPommes did, the textures can be changed on some "lights" to give the illusion that some lights are turned off. This could be changing one of those light panels to look like it's off, or look like there's an alarm with some red lights as well.
This doesn't have that big an impact on performance since technically the light that is cast in the map does not change at all.
So this is something I want to look into in the future.

And there is also an in-universe explanation as to why the light don't turn off when you turn off the generator/reactor. An ISD does have an auxiliary reactor. So it would make sense that some core functions like lights and life support would still function. This auxiliary reactor is not featured in the map though. It would be located somewhere under the turbo laser room if I ever added it.

3 hours ago, Mord said:

any step we can get closer to rishimoon is a step i can support

Honestly, that's kinda the last thing I want. Rishi moon base isn't a bad map. But I find it kinda bland. And by now there are already too many clones of the map that do not bring anything new to the table. Imo there need to be more different maps, not more of the same. I'm trying to innovate SW RP by adding (hopefully) cool new features that haven't really been seen before (like hyperspace, which everyone copies now.)

Edit: Oh yeah, and I forgot to say. SHEFF mentioned the map being over 6 years old. It's actually much older. It predates the Steam Workshop by a number of years. This winter will actually mark the 10th birthday of this map!

Edited by LordTrilobite
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 6

@LordTrilobite 

Could it be possible in the future, depending on how much more you could add to the map before its reached its limit.

Having a changeable Exterior Tower above the Command Superstructure to that of either an Imperial I-Class or II-Class.

Or perhaps a destructible version of Communications Tower we current have?

Image result for Imperial Star Destroyer communications tower

Imperial II-Class Star Destroyer, Communications Tower

located above the Command Tower / Command Superstructure. (What we currently have)

Image result for Imperial Star Destroyer tractor beam targeting array

Imperial I-Class Star Destroyer, Tractor Beam Targeting Array

Imperial I-Class Star Destroyer 'Chimaera', Modified Imperial I-Class

500?cb=20180107220339

39 minutes ago, TheNegotiator said:

@LordTrilobite 

Could it be possible in the future, depending on how much more you could add to the map before its reached its limit.

Having a changeable Exterior Tower above the Command Superstructure to that of either an Imperial I-Class or II-Class.

Or perhaps a destructible version of Communications Tower we current have?

Image result for Imperial Star Destroyer communications tower

Imperial II-Class Star Destroyer, Communications Tower

located above the Command Tower / Command Superstructure. (What we currently have)

Image result for Imperial Star Destroyer tractor beam targeting array

Imperial I-Class Star Destroyer, Tractor Beam Targeting Array

Imperial I-Class Star Destroyer 'Chimaera', Modified Imperial I-Class

500?cb=20180107220339

It has always been based on a class II. I don't intend to change that. In theory it's a cool idea to have a toggle that switches between the two types. But making the details for both ships is just way too much work. I can't even get around to making the details for one ship, let alone 2. This is part of why some of these updates take so long. It's not just the targeting array/comm tower and shield domes that are different. The turbolasers and other details are also different. The Chimaera marking on the bottom is also something that won't happen due to how the textures are set up. I would have to make really huge textures for that massively increasing the file size. So that's not practical. But I do plan on step by step replacing the old exterior to make it more accurate as well as more detailed.

A destroyable comm tower however is something I have thought about. It's technically not hard to add. I just have to make a destroyed version of the model like I did with the domes. Maybe in the future but I don't consider it high priority... Unless I can find a good way to link it up with the shield domes so that I can actually have a deflector shield function. As in you'd have to destroy the domes first before you can destroy anything else. Right now the domes just get destroyed, but it doesn't have an effect outside of that.

On 11/9/2019 at 5:17 PM, Guskywalker said:

IHC Lighting Fixed

• Thanks to some optimising of the imperial budget, the ISD can now afford to fully light the old IHC offices.

IHC literally bankrupted their account for a solid month and were running a deficit because Hammer wanted new Armor.

Looks good though, what's happening with how the setup is now with the Command Sector? Is that still in effect on this new map?

• Upvote 1
  • Bailey unfeatured and unpinned this topic