For a server so large, why do we crash so often?

Guest hypo1234

it's not controversial. 

Players have the right to express their thoughts / ideas.

The management team doesn't like me very much, more so the whole community. However I probably am a good person to address the recent crashing of the server.

Fair few things that can contribute to it Mord.

First one, obviously which has already been addressed in this post here, Hypo and friends like to crash the server and so the more they crash it, the less exploits they're going to be able to find because we patch them as they come.

Second one, you mentioned it in your title, we have a LOT of players with a lot of custom content on a gamemode that Garry Newman (creator of gmod obviously) never thought was possible, GMod was only supposed to have about a max of 24 players per server at any given time.

Third one, GMod runs on only one core, which means its 1 tiny processor trying to process everything, its like feeding a rat cocaine and watching it do things, then when its heart explodes doing it all again. Sometimes it just happens because of this.

Fourth one, GMod will be 15 years old this year and runs on a super old game engine that sometimes farts and dies.

I hope this can help with some explanations as to why it crashes sometimes.

• Like 2
Guest hyposbigbrain
3 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Fair few things that can contribute to it Mord.

First one, obviously which has already been addressed in this post here, Hypo and friends like to crash the server and so the more they crash it, the less exploits they're going to be able to find because we patch them as they come.

Second one, you mentioned it in your title, we have a LOT of players with a lot of custom content on a gamemode that Garry Newman (creator of gmod obviously) never thought was possible, GMod was only supposed to have about a max of 24 players per server at any given time.

Third one, GMod runs on only one core, which means its 1 tiny processor trying to process everything, its like feeding a rat cocaine and watching it do things, then when its heart explodes doing it all again. Sometimes it just happens because of this.

Fourth one, GMod will be 15 years old this year and runs on a super old game engine that sometimes farts and dies.

I hope this can help with some explanations as to why it crashes sometimes.

There are ways to utilize more cores inside of garrys mod...

Take a look at other servers, even look at DarkRP servers.

128/128 - no lag.

9 minutes ago, Guest hyposbigbrain said:

There are ways to utilize more cores inside of garrys mod...

Take a look at other servers, even look at DarkRP servers.

128/128 - no lag.

Thank you for your response, if you'd like to contribute and help the Server in regards to utilizing more cores, please contact Kumo.

As a general rule of thumb, considering some of your responses aren't toxic on this thread, we may leave some.

In the future, please remember you are banned and if you'd like to contribute something to a thread in which you believe you have something useful in which to contribute, please contact a member of Management in order to have it included in the replies.

Hello Mord, 

I'd like to address your question in a simple and civil manner, of which it appears hypo and bailey are incapable. 

Sterling is too fat and the server is unable to handle it.

Thanks Mord, PM me if you have any further questions. 

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Kix said:

Hello Mord, 

I'd like to address your question in a simple and civil manner, of which it appears hypo and bailey are incapable. 

Sterling is too fat and the server is unable to handle it.

Thanks Mord, PM me if you have any further questions. 

The man

The myth

The legend

I think that the recent building that has been going on as well has contributed to the crashes as well as event held at the same time of building and people who are placing dupes for tryouts/training in MH1,MH2 and Tie Bays while the building is going on but once the building is complete i think the server might run a bit more stabler.

The server is a reckless driver and sometimes crashes; needs driving lessons xd

Terrible joke aside, gmod is an old game held together by duct tape and prayers. It could also be due to the sheer quantity of content/builds/pac that contributes towards the unique experience, sometimes things conflict. Other times it's people exploiting addons. The crashing definitely isn't as bad as some other servers I've been on though, IG has always been quite steady.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Matchbox said:

The server is a reckless driver and sometimes crashes; needs driving lessons xd

Bro this is some new philosophy type of thing right here. Actually a good analogy and I'd say sums the question up lmao

• Haha 1