Mental Health Month

Hello Imperial Gaming,

I was and still am very reluctant to make this post because I feel like it is far too personal and difficult to understand for many of you who haven't really been around it before in your life. But as I write this sentence, I realise that you eventually will be around people (if you aren't already) who struggle with mental health or don't understand it properly. Nonetheless, I'd like to jump in to the post before I end up deleting it and not posting it for the sixth or seventh time this Month.

Mental health is something many struggle with, particularly young men between the ages of 13 - 25 (essentially our entire playerbase) because as much as it is becoming more and more widely accepted it is something that is still taboo subconsciously and is hard for men especially to talk about because we're expected to man up and be tough. Something that not many people know is that in Australia suicide is the biggest killer of people aged between 15 - 44 with Males 3x more likely to take their own life and 5x more likely to attempt to. Now, this doesn't mean that Men experience more issues than Women, it is just that it is harder for Men to talk about it with their friends and family because of the 'man up' stigma that surrounds mental health with Men. This is not to say that Women should be ignored either, in every 100,000 people 5.7 women take their own lives as well. It is an epidemic and something we need to speak about with each other. 

As someone who as recently attempted to take my own life in early September of this year (which is the first I'm mentioning it in the public light). I wanted to make this post to tell people that as much as I'm still trying to wrap my head around how much I hate myself and who I am as a person, it does get better, slowly. It is ok not to be ok, and if you're ok, its fine, but I implore everyone to make sure the people around them are ok, even if you don't like them, there are some within the community I know who do not like me, as well as people that I'm not too fond of myself, but I do not wish harm on anyone within our community and our 'family' of sorts.

To the person reading this, I hope you are ok. It is mental health Month and if you're not, now is the perfect time to seek help from a professional. I love you, no matter who you are or the relationship we've had in the past.
Stay safe, happy and healthy.

http://mentalhealthmonth.wayahead.org.au/

This was very hard for me to post because it is very near and dear to me, I'd appreciate it if people took the post seriously and genuinely made sure others around them are ok.

• Upvote 14

Funny you should post this Bailey, I was contemplating  the same thing the last fortnight. As someone who has been battling mental health for  the last few years, it hasn't really gotten much easier until I started telling people what was going on with me. I know it sounds a little cliche, and the same thing doesn't work for everyone, but that's in my honest opinion the best and possibly only way to start. Let people know what's happening with you, even if it's just your pet dog, I talked to my little dude for a whole year about how I was feeling and it gave me the confidence to tell other people, and then when into a psychologist and now Psychiatrist. Recently (last fortnight) 2 of my classmates from school took their own life within a couple of days from each other. Their friends, and family all were completely blind sided by it because they felt as if there wasn't anything wrong with them. Mental health doesn't necessarily have physical side effects, so we couldn't have known, but it eats away at someone until they can't take it. Please talk to someone if you're feeling down.

As for the people not struggling so much as helping your friend/family member dealing with it. The best thing for you to do is just let them know that you're there to talk. The conversation might be awkward, but I guarantee that both parties will feel refreshed, and appreciated. If they do open up to you, be open-minded about it, accept their issues and accept the fact that not everyone's the same.  

Bailey, as for this post, I'm glad that someone made it, because it's been weighing on my mind for a while now, but I wasn't sure how I would approach it. Thank you for sharing some of your more private side of the story, it helps other people reach out when someone feels empathy for them. As someone who has been surrounded with the suicide of family and friends' family, it makes me feel ill thinking that someone else was feeling that way. If you ever need someone to talk to I'm up for most the night anyway (insomnia gang), I'd be happy to listen.

• Upvote 3
7 minutes ago, Dirthi said:

Bailey, as for this post, I'm glad that someone made it, because it's been weighing on my mind for a while now, but I wasn't sure how I would approach it. Thank you for sharing some of your more private side of the story, it helps other people reach out when someone feels empathy for them. As someone who has been surrounded with the suicide of family and friends' family, it makes me feel ill thinking that someone else was feeling that way. If you ever need someone to talk to I'm up for most the night anyway (insomnia gang), I'd be happy to listen.

I upvoted it because there is no hug react, if there was I would give you that one. Thank you for the kind words Dirthi.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the post Bailey, always good to keep this in people's minds. It's good that mental health month is a thing however it should be mental health month every month, for the most part people will always be willing to talk about depression because it's always terrible to hear about someone passing from their affliction when you didn't know about it.

Depression is a disease and as corny as this sounds the cure is talking about it, talking about it with friends and family can be scary and any number of things can run through your head telling you why you shouldn't say anything but you definitely should. IG family if you ever need to talk, I myself am always happy to talk, as are many other people.

<3 <3 <3

16 minutes ago, GeorgeBloon said:

Thanks for the post Bailey, always good to keep this in people's minds. It's good that mental health month is a thing however it should be mental health month every month, for the most part people will always be willing to talk about depression because it's always terrible to hear about someone passing from their affliction when you didn't know about it.

Depression is a disease and as corny as this sounds the cure is talking about it, talking about it with friends and family can be scary and any number of things can run through your head telling you why you shouldn't say anything but you definitely should. IG family if you ever need to talk, I myself am always happy to talk, as are many other people.

<3 <3 <3

Mental Health Month is October but Mental Health Awareness Month is May. So we get 2 out of 12 Months, I'll take it. :)

• Upvote 1

I have nothing but respect for you and this post Bailey.

Myself and other members of my immediate and distant family have all had our fair share of mental health issues so I can relate strongly to this post. It is amazing to see you spreading awareness for such a polarising issue that affects more people than we all think. For anyone in the community who reads this and is going through a hard time right now or goes through a hard time at any point in their lives just know we all love and appreciate the absolute heck out of you so just keep being amazing, we love you all 3000 <3