Hong Kong: An Insight Into Their Struggles

Hello Imperial Gaming, this is going to be a relatively serious post and is being made because last night when we were in Teamspeak discussing it, many people didn't know why the people of Hong Kong were rioting let alone what they were actually rioting for and the extent in which many companies around the World have gone out of their way in order to silence the protestors or to appease the Chinese Community Party (CCP) in order to continue with economic prosperity within Chinese borders.

It has got to this point due to the handover of Hong Kong that was organised in 1997 which would essentially give Hong Kong back to China by 2050, most people in Hong Kong were fine with this because it would essentially give them their sovereignty back from the UK, but in essence, also would give it away again to the CCP. This wasn't much worried about because they were assured they would be able to keep their rights and their laws, etc.
This was fine and dandy until recently the CCP asked the Hong Kong Government to put through an extradition law which would allow China to extradite people from Hong Kong if they have violated laws on the Chinese mainland, the problem with this is that there are many people in Hong Kong hiding from the Chinese Government because of their role in the Tiananmen Square protests and the massacre that followed.

Below you'll find an infographic on why the protests have started and the main players in the protests. 
j9jpprwu9rc31.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

Many Companies have also gone out of their way to appease the Chinese Government and prevent the message of the Honk Kong protests from having awareness spread about them. A full list can be found in the top comment in the THIS Reddit thread.

Overall, you don't need to do anything but learn and keep yourself informed about the situation, if you'd like you can spread awareness like myself.

Free Hong Kong. Revolution of our time.

12 minutes ago, Marlu said:

Must suck to suck

I'm sorry, I forget you and your A-10 can take on the whole CCP.

• Upvote 1

Hong Kong is going to get absolutely ruined lmao, and there's not much that can stop it.

28 minutes ago, Sterling said:

Hong Kong is going to get absolutely ruined lmao, and there's not much that can stop it.

You're probably right, still got to stay hopeful for them and spread the awareness.

It’s terrible to think how countries like China or North Korea live in a structured system like there’s, really puts it in comparison to how Australia is.

I read up on this topic a little while ago when I heard about the protests however its good that you are spreading some awareness as this is a real issue happening in today's society. I feel like Hong Kong at this point are just delaying the inevitable unless a third party were to step in and back up the people of Hong Kong.

Hearing about things like this makes me love and appreciate Australia a heck of a lot more :x

Edited by Sully

41 minutes ago, GeorgeBloon said:

It’s terrible to think how countries like China or North Korea live in a structured system like there’s, really puts it in comparison to how Australia is.

Its unique though, they feel like they have so much freedom, I was there for a while in year 8 for a school trip and lived there from ages 8 - 10 when my Dad moved for work. But its such a unique place filled with culture, just ruined by totalatarian governments.

• Upvote 1

THIS POST HAS BEEN CENSORED BY THE CCP. NO MORE COMMENTS ARE NECESSARY. CONSEQUENCES TO THOSE WHO DON'T ABIDE.

• Facepalm 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Upvote 1

Bruh China banned people from watching NBA preseason games cuz one of the team owners supported Hong Kong. But they didn't ban the actual season games lmao.

Unpopular Opinion Coming In..

Hong Kong enjoys many more freedoms than their mainland counterparts. They are an autonomous territory and have largely been left to their own devices. They are an incredible asset to the Chinese Government, due to its unique financial standing. The Hong Kong protests are bloody encounters which can be described as a bloodbath with faults on both sides. Riot Police abusing their power, protesters believing it is correct to throw petrol bombs at police. These are dark times.

Yet we hold this idea that this battle is for democracy, yet you fail to realise, the winner has already been decided, no matter what the government will win, and Hong Kong will stay as a dark memory for the government. The rioters I hope realise that when this all ends they will be worse off. No one will come to their aid and it should and will stay that way. No government in the world is dumb enough to support them, and within a few months time no one will care about the protests in Hong Kong. They are miniscule compared to issues we seriously must consider such as Climate Change, Drought within Rural  Australia and the Invasion of Syria. 

What I'm trying to say is, forget about Hong Kong it is nothing but a sideshow. It is not a fight of good versus evil, it is merely the media using peoples emotions for profit. Within a few months everything will return to normal, companies will have their profits, the media will fall silent and no one on this server of forums will care about Hong Kong and its miniscule footnote in the progress of humanity

• Shocked 1
  • Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, Boris said:

Hong Kong enjoys many more freedoms than their mainland counterparts. They are an autonomous territory and have largely been left to their own devices. They are an incredible asset to the Chinese Government, due to its unique financial standing. The Hong Kong protests are bloody encounters which can be described as a bloodbath with faults on both sides. Riot Police abusing their power, protesters believing it is correct to throw petrol bombs at police. These are dark times.

I agree with everything you’ve said here, the protests are out of hand in some places but the message is still a valiant one. Both sides have people abusing the other wrongfully.

46 minutes ago, Boris said:

et we hold this idea that this battle is for democracy, yet you fail to realise, the winner has already been decided, no matter what the government will win, and Hong Kong will stay as a dark memory for the government. The rioters I hope realise that when this all ends they will be worse off

This is one I also somewhat agree with, the Chinese Government are hugely powerful and are soon to be the largest economy in the world. People will bow to them eventually, but that’s not the point, it’s the extradition bill that is being placed by the Government in HK who can make the decision whether or not it happens because they still have their sovereignty. 

48 minutes ago, Boris said:

No one will come to their aid and it should and will stay that way.

It is going to stay that way, it shouldn’t though. This is a revolution that they’re trying to pull off and they need the help of the outside world, whether it is spreading awareness of providing aid financially in order to even stand a chance against the CCP.

49 minutes ago, Boris said:

They are miniscule compared to issues we seriously must consider such as Climate Change, Drought within Rural  Australia and the Invasion of Syria.

Climate change is a third agenda issue and must be considered by EVERY state in the world, hence being third agenda. Drought within rural Australia is a national issue and should be one considered by just us. The invasion of Turkey into Syria is distressing, I must admit but once again, is one that Government’s will decide and not one that the populace will decide like the outcome of these riots in HK.

52 minutes ago, Boris said:

What I'm trying to say is, forget about Hong Kong it is nothing but a sideshow. It is not a fight of good versus evil, it is merely the media using peoples emotions for profit. Within a few months everything will return to normal, companies will have their profits, the media will fall silent and no one on this server of forums will care about Hong Kong and its miniscule footnote in the progress of humanity

I don’t even know what to say to this, I refuse to forget about these people, as do many others. They are fighting for their own freedom and the sovereignty of their State. The media and the companies might forget, but they won’t, I won’t and I’m sure others won’t. These people are fighting every day against oppression and tyranny placed upon them by the CCP. I think it is an extremely pessimistic view to say ‘forget about Hong Kong’ because they are people, just like us who want to stay free.

I respect your opinion but I thought I’d share a rebuttal in order to try and give some insight into why I think it is wrong.

5 demands and not one less. Liberate Hong Kong.

4 hours ago, Boris said:

Yet we hold this idea that this battle is for democracy, yet you fail to realise, the winner has already been decided, no matter what the government will win, and Hong Kong will stay as a dark memory for the government. The rioters I hope realise that when this all ends they will be worse off. No one will come to their aid and it should and will stay that way. No government in the world is dumb enough to support them, and within a few months time no one will care about the protests in Hong Kong. They are minuscule compared to issues we seriously must consider such as Climate Change, Drought within Rural  Australia and the Invasion of Syria.

You may be right, at this point in time, the Chinese and HK governments will most likely win. But why should the people give up hope? Why should they give up because the odds are against them? Hope drives people to fight for what they believe is right. Hope is a power stronger than any government or military. So if we can learn anything from History right now, is that the power of hope is real. It was hope that led the 300 Spartans into battle, it was hope that brought together an army of Scots to fight the oppressing English and it will be hope that will save Hong Kong from it's self inflicted demise. Moving on to your next point of aid, I find it highly unlikely that any government will roll their military into Hong Kong but there is still a fair chance the governments of the world will help, it would not be unusual that emissaries may be sent in to help achieve peace. In fact, looking away from the rioters, there are citizens of Hong Kong who are not using violence to be heard but are using their voice. Yes, these rioters are not benefiting themselves or their people, but these people are desperate to be heard, in whatever way they can. Your final point here regarding how people will soon seize to care about Hong Kong is rubbish, this situation has been ready to happen for a long time, as a result of a very important war all the way back in 1842 and the treaty signed after that war, plenty more events have happened since then that fall into this timeline and they all lead up to what is happening now in modern day Hong Kong, the result of this event and the riots taking place could have a pretty big impact on one of the biggest countries in the world (in an economical and political standpoint) in fact, you said it yourself "[Hong Kong] is an incredible asset to the Chinese Government". If the bill were to pass, it would have consequences that may very well destroy Hong Kong; 'China's incredible asset'.

5 hours ago, Boris said:

I don't believe your statement here is correct. Why should we forget about Hong Kong? It is a state in crisis and its people crying for help, how is it a sideshow? These are real people in real suffering. Nobody I know intends on forgetting Hong Kong. The media isn't using people's emotions for profit, the media is doing what the media was made to do, it is covering a story. I don't think this will just 'return to normal' in a few months. This is an issue that has been around for a long time, yes, the protesting is recent but I have no doubts that it will impact society in Hong Kong. In terms of businesses, if the bill is to pass, business will suffer exponentially! The media will cover what it must, when an event notable of global recognition pops up, the media will cover it, until then, people will talk about this until peace is achieved and demands are met. The events that may unfold during these times will be in no way shape or form a "minuscule footnote in the progress of humanity" it may very well re-shape the world economy as we know it.

This isn't exactly a rebuttal, as Bailey has done above. I am more or less using one of your paragraphs as a template to express my thoughts on the situation (sorry boris)
I am no expert on the situation, I am merely stating my opinion on a historical, moral and theoretical standpoint. Feel free to correct me or respond in any way.

Once again, as Bailey said...
5 demands and not one less. Liberate Hong Kong.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Rimmin said:

- snip -

Very well said Rimmin, I agree with a lot of the points you have made. Hong Kong is in crisis right now and it is important that people become educated on the matter as this a real situation affecting real people that requires real change.

5 demands and not one less. Liberate Hong Kong.

The fact is that if Chinese government entered Hong Kong and tried to quell the situation through violence, the world would just watch, what do you expect? America to come in as heroes and risk an all out war with a powerful China, who is somewhat allied with North Korea and Russia? We are saying free the people but nothing will come out of it, everything will stay the same and sadly the Hong Kongers and people of China will be oppressed under a tyrannical dictatorship. 

• Sad 1

Recent update from the BBC news.

"China's President Xi Jinping has issued a stern warning against dissent as protests continue in Hong Kong, saying any attempt to divide China will end in "crushed bodes and shattered bones".

Full article here: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-50035229

Guest Anon

Above, a large number of people have posed the question "if they are going to loose, then why keep fighting?".  The answer is fairly simple, it's not a foregone conclusion.  Extremely unlikely yes, but it's not finally decided.  Who knows, if standard of living protests in Tunisia can turn into the overthrow of multiple governments and extreme reforms in others.  We can only hope for the people of Hong Kong and stand by them and our ideals.

1 hour ago, |Stryker| said:

This is an Aussie Garrysmod community.
Why do we need to know this.

Its important to stay educated in world politics and the world in general in order to prevent atrocities from happening.

• Thinking 1