Image result for avatar the last airbender white png

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

THREAD: Questions & Show Discussion

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

With the Avatar The Last Airbender original episodes recently being released on Netflix and a lot of members within the community watching it I thought I'd ask you all some questions to see how everyone's enjoying it and what parts/aspects of the show you all enjoy. Also, for those who are not aware, Netflix has announced that they are in the works of producing a live adaptation of the show in partners with the creators of the animated show in order to give us a cinematic retelling of Team Avatars story. If you wish to read more about the planned adaptation by Netflix or wish to find out more about the show itself you can do so at the following link: http://bit.ly/avatarTLA . Feel free to answer the question below yourselfs and/or use this thread as a place to discuss the show with other members of the community, please be mindful however when discussing the show as to not spoil it for others who are only now watching it, use spoiler boxes please and thank you. I grew up watching this show and now that its on netflix I am binge watching the crap out of it.

QUESTIONS

Favourite Character(s):

• Cabbage man
    • Provides a good amount of comic relief regularly (Fun fact: he makes appearances in The Legend of Korra as well)
  • Sparky sparky boom boom
    • Provides Aang with good character development and develops Zuko's story in the later episodes.
  • Mei
    • I mean come on what's not to love about her, she is practically an assassin with her throwing knives.
  • Azula
    • Can't say why because it will spoil the last season for those who haven't seen it, for those who have seen it. Final Agni Kai (if you know you know).

Favourite Group(s) of people:

• Dai Li
    • The concept of this group is awesome, they are essentially the secret service of Ba Sing Se and have rock gloves they can project towards targets. What is not to love.
  • Order of the white lotus
    • Can't say due to spoilers it would give but I will just say 1 thing... Ba Sing Se scene.

If you could pick one, what element would you want to be able to bend?

• Personally I would chose earth...
Spoiler

Because it would allow you to both earth bend and metal bend.

Favourite Episode(s):

• The Firebending Masters
  • The Day of Black Sun Part 1
  • The Day of Black Sun Part 2
  • Sozin's Comet Part 1
  • Sozin's Comet Part 2
  • Sozin's Comet Part 3
  • Sozin's Comet Part 4

Are you excited for the new episodes Netflix are producing?

• Absolutely.

Blank Question Template:

Spoiler

Favourite Character(s):

•  

•  

•  

Favourite Episode(s):

•  

•  

Have Fun,

Sully

Edited by Sully
  • Thinking 1
  • Upvote 1

I’ve never watched Avatar before but I saw the name “Cabbage Man” so ima go watch a few episode real quick couse this sounds interesting

Edit: I may have something to binge watch and I like cabbage man

Edited by Crunchy

Favourite Character(s):
The Goat, Iroh himself.
Zuko is legit underrated, love the guy and his progression through the series.
Obviously we gotta put down that man Sokka, he's funny and an ordinary dude, as well as the rest of 'Team Avatar' they're all great.
Momo and Appa also go hard.

The Kyoshi Warriors because, well, they're friggin sick.
The Dai Li are kind of cool, but like, dogs dogged our boys.

Earth goes hard. Each of them have their positives, water for healing, air for travel, fire for cooking and fighting, but I personally radiate more with earth because of its uniqueness as well as its capabilities. You can build, travel, fight, destroy, see things that aren't there, etc. Also I'm a huge guy, so it makes sense for me to prefer Earth because I'd be able to bend it better than the other elements because it requires a strong stance and fluid movements. Secondary would be fire, respect to my boy Uncle Iroh, as well as being able to heat your tea on a whim is kinda sick.

Favourite Episode(s): (SPOILERS IN THIS PART DO NOT READ IF YOU DONT WANT SPOILERS)
The Stories of Ba Sing Sae. The one where it does the individual stories, it shows a side to Uncle Iroh and his fondness/love for people and then ends with him reminescing about the death of his son and singing "The little soldier boy comes home" song. No lie, you know I had a bit of a cry there.
The Avatar and the Firelord. The one where Avatar Roku shows Aang the story of him and Firelord Sozin and how their friendship developed and then broke down due to differing ambitions. This episode ultimately leads to Aang sparing Firelord Ozai at the end of the series.
The Crossroads of Destiny. Zuko and Iroh get their tea shop and then Zuko betrays Iroh when Azula offers it to him. Its a really emotional episode and one of my favourites.
The Puppetmaster. The one where the old lady bloodbends. That's all you gotta know.

As long as they're not like the movie, I'm sure I'll enjoy them.

Okay just saying, I had an ATLA PFP before anybody!

Favourite Character(s):

• Iroh, obviously!
  • Aang, a well developed character by the end who has had his morales put to the test multiple times and always pulls through even cooler than before.
  • Sokka, started off as a goofy character but turned into one of (in my opinion) one of the most respectable guys around
  • Lion Turtle, he is cool.

• White Lotus, a general mystery through out the series led on by Iroh, turns out to be a bunch of bad ass old guys who kick butt!

• Air! Their whole culture is amazing!

Favourite Episode(s):

• Sozin's Comet: Avatar Aang

• Yeah, better not be trash though
5 hours ago, Bailey said:

Favourite Character(s):
The Goat, Iroh himself.
Zuko is legit underrated, love the guy and his progression through the series.
Obviously we gotta put down that man Sokka, he's funny and an ordinary dude, as well as the rest of 'Team Avatar' they're all great.
Momo and Appa also go hard.

The Kyoshi Warriors because, well, they're friggin sick.
The Dai Li are kind of cool, but like, dogs dogged our boys.

Earth goes hard. Each of them have their positives, water for healing, air for travel, fire for cooking and fighting, but I personally radiate more with earth because of its uniqueness as well as its capabilities. You can build, travel, fight, destroy, see things that aren't there, etc. Also I'm a huge guy, so it makes sense for me to prefer Earth because I'd be able to bend it better than the other elements because it requires a strong stance and fluid movements. Secondary would be fire, respect to my boy Uncle Iroh, as well as being able to heat your tea on a whim is kinda sick.

Favourite Episode(s): (SPOILERS IN THIS PART DO NOT READ IF YOU DONT WANT SPOILERS)
The Stories of Ba Sing Sae. The one where it does the individual stories, it shows a side to Uncle Iroh and his fondness/love for people and then ends with him reminescing about the death of his son and singing "The little soldier boy comes home" song. No lie, you know I had a bit of a cry there.
The Avatar and the Firelord. The one where Avatar Roku shows Aang the story of him and Firelord Sozin and how their friendship developed and then broke down due to differing ambitions. This episode ultimately leads to Aang sparing Firelord Ozai at the end of the series.
The Crossroads of Destiny. Zuko and Iroh get their tea shop and then Zuko betrays Iroh when Azula offers it to him. Its a really emotional episode and one of my favourites.
The Puppetmaster. The one where the old lady bloodbends. That's all you gotta know.

As long as they're not like the movie, I'm sure I'll enjoy them.

• Iroh is an amazing character and does so much to help develop Zuko as a character through the whole show.
  • I agree, Zuko is so underrated. He develops so much as a person every episode similar to how Aang does however just in his own ways, his character arc is so crucial in the development of Aangs.
  • Sokka is that one character who we can all relate to and provides great comedic relief, he is also unique in that he is one of the only main characters who isn't able to bend.
  • The Kyoshi warrior are great, I like the way the show made sure that they weren't just a throwaway group and it was nice to see them make multiple appearances throughout the seasons.
  • The Dai Li were amazing up until the part were they stabbed team Avatar in the back, I still like them as a concept tho and I can't wait to see how they are portrayed in the Netflix adaptation.
  • You are right, each of the elements have their positives. Earth is sick as you can earth bend and metal bend and fire can use fire and lightning if you are powerful enough. It'll be interesting to see if they portray the bending properly within the adaptations.
  • I am with you on that one Bailey, I had a bit of a tear up myself as Iroh sat there singing "The little soldier boy comes home".
  • The movie was a complete and utter disappointment and ruined so many scenes and removed crucial parts to each scene, 1 example is the scene where they are attacking the North Pole and zuko is about to stealthily depart the ship to go and find Aang. In the show Iroh exclaims how he thinks of Zuko of a son before nagging him about being safe whereas in the movie they remove Iroh saying this to Zuko which defeats the whole point of the scene. Netflix are working with the original creators to make the adaptations so they should be a lot better.

Another good is the Secret Tunnel song.

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, Sully said:
  • Iroh is an amazing character and does so much to help develop Zuko as a character through the whole show.
  • I agree, Zuko is so underrated. He develops so much as a person every episode similar to how Aang does however just in his own ways, his character arc is so crucial in the development of Aangs.
  • Sokka is that one character who we can all relate to and provides great comedic relief, he is also unique in that he is one of the only main characters who isn't able to bend.
  • The Kyoshi warrior are great, I like the way the show made sure that they weren't just a throwaway group and it was nice to see them make multiple appearances throughout the seasons.
  • The Dai Li were amazing up until the part were they stabbed team Avatar in the back, I still like them as a concept tho and I can't wait to see how they are portrayed in the Netflix adaptation.
  • You are right, each of the elements have their positives. Earth is sick as you can earth bend and metal bend and fire can use fire and lightning if you are powerful enough. It'll be interesting to see if they portray the bending properly within the adaptations.
  • I am with you on that one Bailey, I had a bit of a tear up myself as Iroh sat there singing "The little soldier boy comes home".
  • The movie was a complete and utter disappointment and ruined so many scenes and removed crucial parts to each scene, 1 example is the scene where they are attacking the North Pole and zuko is about to stealthily depart the ship to go and find Aang. In the show Iroh exclaims how he thinks of Zuko of a son before nagging him about being safe whereas in the movie they remove Iroh saying this to Zuko which defeats the whole point of the scene. Netflix are working with the original creators to make the adaptations so they should be a lot better.

Another good is the Secret Tunnel song.

If this dont tear you up you're not human.

Quick edit, the words in the top right translate to "To General Iroh: See you after we win the War. Your loyal son Lu Ten."

Edited by Bailey
3 minutes ago, Bailey said:

- snip -

It is a beautiful song, this makes you think about how many times he has had to suffer through this memory as he sings this song to his son each year on his birthday. It also lets the realisation set in that even though this is an animated kids show and we don't see any real death or gore that death is still a prominent and key theme.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Ragdig said:

I remember absolutely loving this back in the day but I think I was too young to understand anything. I should really get back into it and I can't wait till i'm back from my holidays to do so. I just hope I can find the time

It is a very binge worthy show, be prepared to watch the crap out of it, If you enjoyed it growing up I highly suggest watching it again now that you have a better grasp on the things as you tend to pick up a lot more on your second time around xD

Favourite Character(s):

• Roku
  • Zhao
  • Zuko
  • Iroh
  • King Bumi

• Iroh & Zuko
  • Iroh  & Toph
  • Team  Avatar
  • Appa & Momo
  • Order of the White Lotus
  • The Sun Warriors

•  Earth;  I would pick  earth  as it would  open up  several  pathways such as metal  bending and or lava bending.

Favourite Episode(s):

• The  Winter Solstice
  • The Beach
  • Day of the Black  Sun 1&2
  • Sozins Comet 1&2

•  I was unaware but  will check  it out.
On 10/13/2019 at 2:47 AM, Mongo said:

• The Sun Warriors

The Sun Warriors are an amazing group of people, their whole culture and 'lore' is tame and majestic in comparison to the hatred and anger of the rest of the fire nation. I just rewatched S3:E13 - "The Firebending Masters", the episode where we get to meet the Sun Warriors and it was definitely something to behold. The scene where Zuko and Aang dance with the dragons and are judged before being given the insight into the masters fire is beautiful and is a highlight of the season.

• Iroh  & Toph

Iroh and Toph are such an underrated Duo, when they first meet Toph is completely unaware who Iroh was and immediately connected with him. When she finally learns his identity she is shocked but still doesn't judge him or show hatred or betrayal, she understands Iroh and knows he is a good person at heart. The two have a mutual connection and respect for on another and it helps for both of their character arcs.

Favourite Episode(s):

• The  Winter Solstice
  • The Beach
  • Day of the Black  Sun 1&2
  • Sozins Comet 1&2

All of these are amazing episodes but then again my view may be biased considering that I think each and every episode is amazing in their own ways, every episode develops a different characters arc in one way or another and conveys a great depth to the show. Despite feeling like filler episodes these so called filler episodes still develop the story and the character in a strong and powerful way. Also side note the Boiling Rock episodes are also really good and i'm not just saying that because I am watching them at the moment. They episodes develop Mai and Zuko's relationship in a strong way whilst beginning the series of adventures each of Team Avatar has with Zuko.

•  I was unaware but  will check  it out.

http://bit.ly/avatarTLA