Why I don't speak

Hi. You many know me as Kyle or Luvvy on the server

I've been in this community for 6 months but you still may not know me. Anyways its no big secret that I don't talk. The reason is mostly because.

Spoiler

I never felt comfortable. One of the biggest reasons I don't talk is that I've always been uncomfortable about my voice. I sound so much younger than my actual age and I just feel like if I do talk then I wouldn't be taken seriously. I don't want to feel limited on the server because of my voice. Like I don't want people assuming my age or questioning the legitimacy of it. Like ever since I started playing video games, I've never spoken. It is more of me being really self-conscious and mostly because I don't want people to treat me differently because they assume I'm young because of my voice. 

There was once an instance on a different server where I was actually demoted because they thought I was "lying about my age" and I was "too young to hold my rank" and I know it isn't their fault. Like I know younger people have it harder on online games because they have a constant burden of always being mature because as soon as they act out they'd be called out for it because they are young and I don't want that to happen to me because my voice is high. I never wanted to be treated differently because I sound younger, like I don't want people to think I'm incapable of doing things just because my voice sounds younger than my actual age.

I apologise for making everyone's life a bit harder because I know it takes longer to talk to me since I have to type everything.

So yeah that is why I don't speak. It might sound like a stupid reason but I just wanted to explain why.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 10

Personally, I don’t really see anything wrong with people not wanting/choosing to use their microphones.

It’s quite vial, honestly, when people judge/think differently of you when you sound or are younger than you actually are. People only want to enjoy their time playing what they love, not worry about others who ruin it for them. Kind of defeats the purpose of multiplayer/online, since the internet’s full of diversity.

At the end of the day it’s entirely the users decision whether or not they feel comfortable doing it. There’s nothing wrong with doing something different, it defines your character; like standing out from the crowd.

Just keep being you dude, there’s nothing wrong with difference.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Luigi said:

Personally, I don’t really see anything wrong with people not wanting/choosing to use their microphones.

It’s quite vial, honestly, when people judge/think differently of you when you sound or are younger than you actually are. People only want to enjoy their time playing what they love, not worry about others who ruin it for them. Kind of defeats the purpose of multiplayer/online, since the internet’s full of diversity.

At the end of the day it’s entirely the users decision whether or not they feel comfortable doing it. There’s nothing wrong with doing something different, it defines your character; like standing out from the crowd.

Just keep being you dude, there’s nothing wrong with difference.

I'll still keep that birthday wish though :D

Edited by Kyle
  • Haha 1

Honestly in my point of view the best thing to do is to laugh about it with everyone else if someone makes a joke about your or someone elses voice just go along with it and eventually you won't care and other people won't care cause they know it'll have no effect on you if you give no reaction or a reaction they weren't expecting to get out of you, and bruh even now when im 15 turning 16 I sound like im 13 and in 2017 I sounded like I just came out of the womb bro.

Ignore if that makes no sense im sleep deprived and on my phone.

• Like 1

In your particular line of work, people that are just here to f**k around will find any potential weakness and/or exploit to upset you. It's probably a good thing you don't speak if you're not comfortable doing so. Similar to STC, ISB has to do the dirty work where sometimes people try their hardest to hurt us, however, it's up to us whether or not we allow them to.

I'm not going to delve too deeply into my backstory/childhood, but I was put in a position where i was forced to push through my fears and discomforts and adapt to what i was given. You're in a position where you can continue to play the game as you currently do, with no obligation or pressure to change. If you choose to not speak, that is your prerogative, as you can still do the job without using your voice.

You cannot expect to gain more confidence if you do not put yourself in the position to get hurt. That being said, confidence is something that will come with time and age. I wasn't particularly happy with my voice until i was about 18, and even now when i hear a video of myself speaking, i cringe very hard. You'll get to a stage where you're happy and confident with yourself eventually.

Don't even feel like you're worth less because you have a higher voice, as long as what you say has meaning. 

• Like 1

You actually sound a lot like Rickle which is pretty funny.

But nah, I think a lot of people on the internet have the same mentality as this, which sucks but understandable at the same time. Nobody is really going to care if you stay with this community and never once speak. There are quite a few members who don't speak for this same reason, so you're not alone. Personally i've never really cared what I sound like, but I have a good friend who I met online and who I spoke to almost everyday for nearly 2 years without hearing his voice, so I personally don't really think it will limit you in anyway if that's what you're worried about.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Mongo said:

fizzy as a youngling was actually hell

7th shower time

Kinda glad I missed out on when Delta squad had to baby sit them.

Edited by Delta

What type of people decide to judge others on their voice? It's so honestly sad that people get stereotyped over their voices sounding younger and therefore they're considered immature somehow :/

You're doing fine Kyle either way.

Edited by Welly
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, Kyle said:

demoted because they thought I was "lying about my age" and I was "too young to hold my rank"

That actually outrageous, I would of thrown hands. 

I think sometimes you just gotta do something you normally wouldn’t do so you can boost confidence. If people are teasing you then you need to ignore it because if you think about it more, it’ll hurt more. If you feel you need support then there is plenty of people to talk to (including myself) and if it comes to someone teasing you in game, call staff.

But yeh, I understand everything and I was there once. And please, don’t take it as I’m forcing change upon you <3

Edited by Kamelieon
  • Like 1

contrary to common belief the ISB arent actually that bad of a group of people and i can almost asssure you that nobody would have a problem with your speech

i mean if we can all deal with listening to @Rivers, @Mord @Nick and @Kobe bicker about random sh*t im sure we can handle anything

but by all means if you choose to be silent then thats fine :))

Edited by Mord
  • Haha 2

Not gonna lie i use to be self concious about my voice. When i finally got a proper working mic (that didnt sound complete trash) i immediately hopped onto a random gmod server and went around asking how old they thought i was based on my voice and to my suprise everyone thought i was 16+

in reality i sound like a 12 year old on steroids but apparently i dont sound that young online somehow.

dont worry you'll eventually build up the courage to start speaking with your mic. 

The words you use and how you use them are enough evidence for me that you were mature enough for ISB....

and now you're Ass colonel. Your recruiter must've been incredibly good at his job.

For real though you don't need to use a mic if you don't want to. Sometimes when I'm not feeling it I type aswell, I'm sure most people are the same.
Use your mic when you want to, type when you feel like it. It don't matter as long as you're comfortable with what you're doing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1