Respawn Timer During Events

Bailey

Event Timer  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Interested in seeing this trialed?

• Yes for a trial.
    • No not a chance.

54 minutes ago, Mongo said:

Now this is a tricky one, would it be enabled for those in the event role?

It would not be available for those in the Event role, just so the EM can change their Event with the flexibility needed.

1 hour ago, Tonberry said:

tbh not really going to affect anyone in ISB as we already take longer than what is being proposed to get back into the action if we die lmao, we have a keycard door, DS hangar & corridors, teleporter, then the length of the ISD to contend with any time we need to go anywhere

+1 for during events but will likely need some reactionary tweaking after implementation to fine tune it as to not be prohibitive or annoying

Yeah definitely not outside of Events, and I 100% agree that there will need to be some fine-tuning and reactionary fixes for it before we even consider using it consistently.

2 hours ago, Dspre said:

@Bailey anyway that we could put a pole vote on this discussion to see if people want it and don't want it easier?

I love the idea of a death timer

+1

Added a poll, thanks for the suggestion mate.

You had me at more claims

In all seriousness this would be good. +1
Too many times I've seen people die then respawn and run out immediately of their spawn to flank the enemies and single-handedly (not a word apparently?) destroy half of the EC's and half health the rest. Seeing that I can't really call it up for FailRP or violating NLR because if a trooper ran out of their bunks and saw the wave of enemies, he'd open fire just like they did. I feel like this addition would balance out a lot of  the sketchy parts of an event, and plus more RP is better, it is an RP server.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just a note, for those concerned about regiments who have far away spawns we could just code it so they have a lesser timer then everyone else. Something like 2/3 or 1/2 or even completely eliminating the timer for them. This is aimed at the regiments who have a bunk around the corner from the action so they keep just rushing In

• Upvote 1

Personally, I don't like the idea.

1. Gmod is not a game of strategy, there is just the simplistic styles of combat. Gmod is not Arma.
  2. Gmod is a terrible game, people will get stuck. If we add this is makes it so they either call staff or suicide.
  3. Doing this will increase toxicity in the player base. Say, Player A kills Player B in crossfire and he has to wait to come back, Player B is going to be very mad and complain.

• Upvote 1

I think I'll leave a neutral on this one.

One of the biggest things I've noticed as an EM and IHC is that people often refuse to be at all tactical unless they are directly told by someone to follow tactics, and even then they follow simple things with little to no teamwork. Recently I did an event on the DS where Rebel Hologram NPCs had taken over one of the levels. There were three entrances to the level, first people ran in guns blazing and got demolished (cause I give NPCs high damage guns to make it fair), then After I told them to they went in using tactics, shields first and using cover. There were two other entrances to the floor that were never used despite the huge tactical advantage they would have given as well as not bottle-necking Imperial Troops. It paints a quite clear picture that many people don't care. I've seen countless times in Engine Room assaults DT be extremely tactical, and regiments in ST and 501st just charge in over and over and over again, cause they just respawn and walk 15 seconds to the action.

Whilst I do like the idea and I think it will add value to peoples lives and combat tactics, implementation would need to be done very carefully and there would have to be very specific rules for lower ranking EMs to follow at all times, whilst EMs and SEMs would need more lenient rules perhaps but rules nonetheless. I like Kumo said it can be based around a variety of factors that influence the situation but I think it definitely also needs to be based on regiment. DT, ISB, INF and 975th shouldn't have timers, and I don't think ones with massive RP roles that are less combative should have it either (such as ENG and GOV). Also in terms of the ECs they would have to have ground rules of never going into bunks as it would make spawn-killing (something ECs are told off for already) so much worse.

All in all it could help, but it could also break a huge amount and cause people to become angry at Event Masters, who I have seen members of be spoken poorly of in Discord, OOC chat and the forums already. It could be tried, but it would have to be a big if on whether or not it stayed, and how the final version would look.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rivers said:

+1 purely for the fact that this will stop people from dying and instantly running out of spawn over and over again until the EC's are dead. Also adds to the importance of medics and placing value on your life within RP.

My sentiments exactly.

I really dislike this idea for one certain reason:

Every second event is a raid on the reactor room (which all the engineers don't like btw EMs)

Everytime the reactor room raids happen, we always get spawnkilled. Therefore, we will never get out of the reactor room when events are on causing a bad time for us engineers.

So pls no.

• Like 1

Eh neutral more towards -1 I believe that having to get all the way that did kind of enough for a respawn time. Especially for regiments at mh2 when most of it is 3rd floor or 1st floor. 

Yeah I get that in theory it helps medics but it probably won't change as most trooper take as long for a medic to reach them as it does to respawn

I reckon we just go extreme and be like: you die and you get demoted

(In all seriousness if this does get added and lack of medics become a problem, I suggest tweaking the Support Loadouts to add Defibs but remove say the injector or the stim)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Eclipse said:

Personally, I don't like the idea.

1. Gmod is not a game of strategy, there is just the simplistic styles of combat. Gmod is not Arma.
  2. Gmod is a terrible game, people will get stuck. If we add this is makes it so they either call staff or suicide.
  3. Doing this will increase toxicity in the player base. Say, Player A kills Player B in crossfire and he has to wait to come back, Player B is going to be very mad and complain.

Facts.

I really dislike this idea for one certain reason:

Every second event is a raid on the reactor room (which all the engineers don't like btw EMs)

Everytime the reactor room raids happen, we always get spawnkilled. Therefore, we will never get out of the reactor room when events are on causing a bad time for us engineers.

So pls no.

Edited by Mord