Respawn Timer During Events

Event Timer  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Interested in seeing this trialed?

• Yes for a trial.
    • No not a chance.

So, after a bit of discussion in the developer discord, and worry that players wouldn't like the feature of having to wait to respawn in an event or for a Medic to revive you.

I'll detail how this will work below.

When an Event Master turns on Event Mode, which we all know about, it turns off diseases, it allows for people to check whom the Event Master is and it allows the Event Master to display an objective in the top right of the screen.

I propose that when Event Mode is turned on, the Event Master can also set a respawn timer for those who are killed during the Event, I proposed 30 seconds originally but @Gregis spoke about making a menu in which the Event Master could set the respawn timer higher or lower, with the max being about a minute, because we don't want to be dead for too long.
On top of this, if there are no medics on, the time is halved, so if the Event Master sets it for 30 seconds, the time becomes 15 seconds, etc.

If killed by some bs, like a Mass RDM'er, the user can just put a ticket in to get force respawned or much like the SantosRP Server used to have, a full heal which brings them back to life in the same spot.

So, I've written a list of pros and cons for this system that I can think of.

Pros:
- The Event Master can set the Event Character HP lower because they no longer need to tank 100's of bullets.
- People won't just run in and die because they'll be worried about having to wait to respawn.
- Actual incentive to work as a team and use proper tactics in order to beat the Event Characters.
Actual FearRP because people will value their life.
- Could make Events more intense.
- Could give Medics more of a purpose and priority to protect.

Cons:
- People could be RDM'd and have to wait if a Staff Member doesn't take their ticket.
- Could slow down the action packed Events that we all know.
- If there are no medics around, you have to wait to respawn.
- Event Masters may still make mistakes and have their Event Characters OP which could ruin the Event.
- AOE weapons like the RPS and grenades could have dire effects is used badly.

Overall, I think this would be an interesting thing to try rather than just immediately dismissing because I think it would put some intensity back into Events and help develop tactics for fighting rather than "Follow me boys! We're going in!" and then running in, getting swamped by 2000 hp event characters, respawning and repeating that same process again.

Please let me know what you think in the comments of this post and if you can think of any, add some more pros and cons to my list.

Thanks!

- Bailey

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

If anyone played santos when it was up you would understand what we are trying to get at. A bit more value behind your life. A bit more incentive to use the tactics we train on so constantly. 

In the end sh*t will happen and you will get pissed but if it’s capped at a minute, it’s really not that bad. Enough time to check your phone for a quick sec or stretch your legs.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Kumo said:

Timer could be based on amount of players, amount of event characters, medics online etc.

Yeah definitely. You're smart enough to do that sh*t too.

+1

Would love to see this implemented to give lives more value during events. Not only will it be fairer for event characters, but it will also mean that events would last longer and provide more action, rather than ec’s constantly being swarmed with no form of restriction or limit other than their distance to the majority of players.

+1 would add more RP and make fighting situations more interesting, "crime scenes" can be proper scenes, call for MT's to rush to the scene and revive in time would be pretty cool as well.

One question I do have is someone suicides or Kills in console IE OOC kill to reload bodygroup or something (I don't know how it works), would it apply then as well? 

No.

Everyone hates waiting. 

• Respawn times in things like TF2 and Overwatch are required because there is a linear path, an objective and defense of that objective.
  • Respawn times are used to stagger the amount of players attacking a point so nobody gets overwhelmed at a certain point of the map, but every single event character already fricks us up with no problem.
  • It already takes like 85 minutes to run back to the action, of which there might not even be any action anymore
  • It's an RP server not a team based shooter game
  • There aren't enough medics for this to be a plausible action
  • It just delays something that doesn't need to be delayed, it does not fit the dynamic of the game mode AT ALL

As much as we all want it to - it will not make people value life more and it most definitely will not increase tactical actions. I can't particularly back up anything i have said but i can recognise how players work sometimes and this is one of those times.

Edited by Mord
6 minutes ago, GeorgeBloon said:

+1 would add more RP and make fighting situations more interesting, "crime scenes" can be proper scenes, call for MT's to rush to the scene and revive in time would be pretty cool as well.

One question I do have is someone suicides or Kills in console IE OOC kill to reload bodygroup or something (I don't know how it works), would it apply then as well? 

No it wouldn't, would only work during Events and when an Event Master toggles it on/off.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Mord said:

Respawn times are used to stagger the amount of players attacking a point so nobody gets overwhelmed at a certain point of the map, but every single event character already fricks us up with no problem.

I can understand that, but in doing so, the Event Master could now lower the hp's of Event Characters so it'd more of an even fight.

What I’d believe what work is generally add a 10 second timer before you can respawn, But add a minute max until it force res pawns you. So once 10 seconds has elapsed since your death you have an option/button that states “Give up” letting you respawn or you can wait for a medic, once it hits 60 seconds you bleed out/die so it force respawn you. As well as putting a timer on top of your screen to show how much longer you have left till force respawn and/or till you can respawn/give up manually.

If I was still in the 975th Garrison I would DESPISE this idea. It takes 2 minutes as it is to go from their spawn to the ISD and I can imagine Death Troopers would face a similar problem. I would suggest that they get exempt from this timer. 

On the other hand, in the past when I was EC, we got spawned in 1st floor bunks area and 501st demolished us by spawning, running out, dealing some damage them die, only to respawn and rinse, repeat.

I'll +1 on the consideration of regiments with disadvantages already, or make a change for those unlucky regiments.

• Upvote 1

This pushes the server into the realms of realism. I don't think this would fit well unless we changed alot of things to move it to a more realistic experience.

- While EMs can still spawn ECs anywhere on the ship this would be an unfair system. You promote tactical combat but if you do everything in your will to lock down MH1 (and there is no way ECs could get to anywhere else on the ship) then a squad of EC goons run out of engine room and mow down everyone guarding Mh1 from behind that's just unfair and ruins the realistic experience and players would be punished by a minute timer because they were being tactical. Removing the ability for rebels to appear out of thin air would make a timer be fair.

- Realistic EC numbers. If you have a rebel u wing land in MH1 you should realistically have only the number of people that can fit in the ship pile out. This isn't the case however and the constant onslaught usually kills everyone guarding MH1. Now imagine everyone with a minute timer. To be more fair a 10 man rebel squad could down 15 troopers at most before being repelled. In this situation you could have a timer and it would be fair.

If you remove the two above EMs would have a very difficult time running events on the ISD. Don't forget ISDs had thousands of troops aboard and the constant respawning emulates this. By adding the timer you might as well role play on a ship that maxes out on 128 troops (there is a ship for this)

I don't know if the EM running a particular event is aware, but there has been several instances where an EC has entered the ST Bunks and killed everyone inside of it (Including respawns). Unless there were strict rules and monitoring to prevent bunks being used as a slaughterhouse, this may pose an issue.

Also, for the more part, the vast majority of people on the server have... a moderate amount of trigger discipline. Crossfire isn't as big of a deal when the respawns are instant, but you have to consider that if a timer is added, that will cause a lot more anger, and potentially an increase in admin calls for RDM, which will clog up legitimate requests. Unless there is a significant staff presence at the time, this will likely cause chaos.

If properly executed, it could work. If EC's or a mingey PVT want to ruin it for everyone else, it will be a pain.

8677EBA22BED2AE1D873A38326A60F345C643D19

Edited by Death
  • Upvote 1

Love the idea tbh so people just can't go rush in to the rebels when their right near the person bunks. I would say the spawn timer should only be for some regiments since some are already far away like hell aka ISB and DT.

+1

Edited by Echo

+ 1 this is a great idea, purely just to stop the chaos during events and allow for IHC in particular to have a more organised military procedure. Events are often filled with people discrediting the NLR rule and this would somewhat assist in the provention of this. 

Netrual

Would add realism and better RP 

However most of the time you have certain regiments that gotta cross the whole map to go to where the action is. A timer is unfair to them. 

Plus it's funny to keep getting constantly gunned down by those ecs who are in the reactor room. Since engineers spawn right near it 

• Upvote 2

tbh not really going to affect anyone in ISB as we already take longer than what is being proposed to get back into the action if we die lmao, we have a keycard door, DS hangar & corridors, teleporter, then the length of the ISD to contend with any time we need to go anywhere

+1 for during events but will likely need some reactionary tweaking after implementation to fine tune it as to not be prohibitive or annoying

Now this is a tricky one, would it be enabled for those in the event role?

It's a nice idea and the em can always tweak the timer and or just disable it 

22 minutes ago, Tonberry said:

tbh not really going to affect anyone in ISB as we already take longer than what is being proposed to get back into the action if we die lmao, we have a keycard door, DS hangar & corridors, teleporter, then the length of the ISD to contend with any time we need to go anywhere