The Politics of IG

Note: This is going to be an open discussion platform for those who wish to debate / share their opinion WITHOUT causing any harm or toxicity towards others on the server. Please respect this.

For the past few months, I've started to notice the politics that usually stem from In-Character roleplay bleed through into OOC matters which constantly manifest and turn into something much more toxic than it should be in the first place. Personally, after watching this happen time and time again I've grown sick of petty arguments and drama over "he called me this" and "this person did this" and it's a real motivation killer for wanting to come on and play on Imperial Gaming daily. Rather than enjoying the small interactions that used to happen I've grown to loathe them as every tiny detail can quickly be manipulated and blown out of proportion, causing me a world of headaches when all I wanted to do was come online and chill with my mates. Maybe I was oblivious to it in the past but due to this I've felt like the overall enthusiasm to RP has dropped due to how hostile things can turn within a moments notice and be taken out of character.

Just an observation, would be interested to see how others feel about this kind of thing.

• Upvote 3

Surprisingly I don't really feel like that often. I keep getting on the server every day and playing till I can't keep my eyes open any longer. I notice the drama and politics you're talking about but I just choose to stay out of it unless it's absolutely necessary to get involved. I choose to not let it affect the way I play and continue being the character I want to be regardless of what happens. If I'm not playing like this then I would have left a long time ago. I try not to start arguments and not let it get to a point where I don't want to play anymore by doing this I continue to love playing everyday no matter what RP goes down. 

I'm just going to keep being me. 

Edited by Cure
  • Like 1

I shouldn't be saying this as a mod 

But I really dislike claims based around people either being called "a dumb c***" or "dumb b*****" or normal claims that take a different turn from a simple false aos to debating for 20 minutes about who really did what for player diss. 

I can understand everyone has different feelings about what they are called over the internet. But man it's just 

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnhhhhhhhhgrgrgrgrgrggrgr 

• Upvote 1

To compare this to real life, its like playing in a playground with your friends when you're little. You're playing guns or whatever you're playing and you aim at your friend, shoot him but he doesn't fall. You call out 'Hey! You're dead!' and he replies 'No I'm not!' and then you're angry because you killed him but he's not dead, this can be compared to the Server and the arguments that stem from people arguing over who has what power where and when.

Politics are a part of life and are in EVERYTHING. The problem when it comes to these politics is that some people can disagree over small things and the direction they want the Server to go in, which slowly creates more and more of a divide. There are also people who don't really know what they want, but get behind people who do know what they want and support them, once again creating a larger divide amongst the players of the Server.

The people who don't enjoy the Server because of those politics are the peopl who just want to RP and play but are stuck in a Regiment or a place that is rife with these politics, some examples include RP intensive Regiments such as ISB, Navy, Engineering and Regional Government. I mean, it happens and it will always happen. The reason I joined Sith is because there is little to no politics, just pull up and stab people and do a bit of 'grrr I'm aggressive and angry!' RP.

However, without politics and people challenging opinions or decisions and what you think other people are doing wrong, the Server would become a place where one person or group has power to do what they want, when they want, to whomever they want to. Some politics is good, and this can be seen through the diplomatic decisions for roles on the Server such as staff or lore characters. Other politics that can be perceived as bad are politics that make other people's time on the Server worse and/or less enjoyable.

Just a small discussion and a few notes from things that I've seen in nearly every Server that I've ever played on, trust me, the grass is not greener on the other side and iG is the best Server I've played on when it comes to fairness and equality amongst members. Even now when there's arguments and sides ready to blow each other to bits, its still better than most places.

Stay cool my dudes, sometimes people forget we're all one community. <3

EDIT: Just a small note by the way, if this gets toxic like it has the potential to, I will lock this faster than a shop owner locking up before the Purge.

• Like 2
Guest Goliath but on his Laptop

I've noticed two underlying points that we should all keep in mind:

1. 99% of the time it is one person causing problems/drama that people then interpret as the whole group

2. Often these "politics" are driven by paranoia and misunderstanding.  People need to talk to each other yo.

Source:

Experience

27 minutes ago, Cure said:

Surprisingly I don't really feel like that often. I keep getting on the server every day and playing till I can't keep my eyes open any longer. I notice the drama and politics you're talking about but I just choose to stay out of it unless it's absolutely necessary to get involved. I choose to not let it affect the way I play and continue being the character I want to be regardless of what happens. If I'm not playing like this then I would have left a long time ago. I try not to start arguments and not let it get to a point where I don't want to play anymore by doing this I continue to love playing everyday no matter what RP goes down. 

I'm just going to keep being me. 

^^^

• Upvote 2

The constant hypocrisy, virtue signalling and fake/exaggerated moral outrage on the forum gets tiresome. Sometimes feels like reading a tumblr argument instead of IG forum - I recall in one thread seeing a comment about how biggie smalls deserved to die because he was a criminal - do people really think anyone reads a comment like that and goes "oh wow you must be such a good person, your morals are so strict" lmfao just relax your status, nobody cares about how many model citizen points you can accumulate. Social posturing is cringe and makes you look fake.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
32 minutes ago, Tonberry said:

The constant hypocrisy, virtue signalling and fake/exaggerated moral outrage on the forum gets tiresome. Sometimes feels like reading a tumblr argument instead of IG forum - I recall in one thread seeing a comment about how biggie smalls deserved to die because he was a criminal - do people really think anyone reads a comment like that and goes "oh wow you must be such a good person, your morals are so strict" lmfao just relax your status, nobody cares about how many model citizen points you can accumulate. Social posturing is cringe and makes you look fake.

Let's not forget that as the author of that comment, I was able to express my views in however regard I wanted. No, I don't view my comment as 'morally upstanding', although I see myself as an upstanding citizen in my community. And quite frankly, I don't give a rat's ass what you think, because not only was your little outage on the IG Training Discord a joke, it seems a little hypocritical for you to say that, at least in my eyes, Tonberry.

We have to ensure that what is in character is in character, and remains in character, and how or what, someone expresses themselves in OOC is fine, even if it is cringe or otherwise a joke. You are an individual. Don't be bullied to change your ideology because people over the internet feel that you are fake. 

Most importantly... Be You! Who ever that may be, you'll be accepted. 

Those who are causing the major drama, need to be talked to, as in my opinion, the community of IG is NOT accepting of other views. Feel free to debate, what ever I've said.

Regards,

Maxine.

Edited by Marsh
  • Downvote 2
  • Upvote 2

can we just remember that this is Star wars RP and literally could not affect your life in any miniscule way possible unlike what people make it out to be? 

for real 

just have fun for once you annoying little sh*ts

Edited by [IG] Tackxo
  • Like 1

"I leave my pride inside oblivion, don't take yourself so serious
Life is just a game so you can share all your fears without this
theres peace within this harmony that flows within the core of me
Grows up in my mind, apples out of another's apple tree

So have a laugh, or get blasted out to space"

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Dirthi said:

"I leave my pride inside oblivion, don't take yourself so serious
Life is just a game so you can share all your fears without this
theres peace within this harmony that flows within the core of me
Grows up in my mind, apples out of another's apple tree

So have a laugh, or get blasted out to space"

Yeeeeeees the ol sticky fingers

• Like 1

Like wise men have said. 

It is a GAME. A GAME is when people have fun. If you're getting butt hurt because someone is trolling you that is the internet. If you don't like it go find some people irl who share your opinions. Everyone is always super confident online to Express their opinions. Don't expect everyone to accept it.

• Downvote 1