Gun Restrictions On Any Defcon is Stupid: Change My Mind

Poll for Change My Mind:  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with my statement?

• Yes
    • No

To reply to this again, I agree with pretty much all the people who have stated that DEFCON IV should be used more liberally, such as when we're not just floating through space, above planets, in shipyards, asteroid fields, etc. Rather than just allowing everyone to have their guns out at all time.

I think where we go from here is to contact Navy and let them know, and then to speak to Management as well as IHC about introducing this as a way to increase the RP on the Server.

• Like 2

Alright I'm going to have to disagree wiht this, because of two reasons

1) DEFCON V is used when there is for use when there is no sign of Rebels at all in the area. This is why we just walk around without our guns out, we know that there is no hostiles in the area or anything that would be dangerous to us. Thus, there is no reason for us to have weapons out. Why would you need a gun out when you dont need to shoot anything.

2) All photos which you showed are from times when there has been some kind of hostil attack recently. Most of them are people guarding or protecting something as has been mentioned before. The movies are based upon the wars and battles that occured within the Star Wars galaxy hence the wars in the name. No one would really want to see a movie that has no fighting in it. 

So I'm going to have to say no to having gun restrictions on DEFCON V, however I will say as mentioned before by other users that DEFCON IV should be used more freely in a place where theres proof that there could be rebel or hostile activity.

P.S. The reason why you cant find people without weapons in the movies that often is because as I stated its literally in the middle of massive wars

Edited by Joel

I’m willing to completely abandon my original views because of tanks great suggestion. The idea is to change my mind and i think mr tank has done just that.

18 hours ago, Ragetank said:

I like to think that DEFCON V is almost like "everyone is off duty". Walking around the Chimera could be seen as troopers not currently on duty just doing rudimentary tasks like playing chess, hauling cargo, getting sick, practicing their climb swep etc. Think of the Chimera as more of a home for the troopers, I do see the point of this post but in saying that you wouldn't walk around your home with a gun out 24/7 because 1. That's just odd 2. It takes effort and energy to hold a weapon 3. Makes it seem like your on duty which you probably aren't.

I think this post could easily rewritten "Use DEFCON IV more liberally". E.G As soon as any combat/mission is around the corner all troops come from their "off duty status" (DEFCON V) onto "duty status" (DEFCON IV).

and of course @Cure and his support for the idea. I won’t bring this instalment to a close yet, because people are throwing around interesting ideas.

My next instalment may be an on ship event where i set up a desk outside GOV and you guys get to come talk to me and i will record and edit it together. Tell me what you think and thankyou for changing my mind. I was honestly surprised with how divided you all were and how many of you were ready to put up a defense. If you have any ideas for the next one please send me a DM and i’ll credit you in the next episode. Thanks again everybody, my mind is changed!

Edited by Mord
  • Upvote 1
18 hours ago, Mord said:

WHY ARE WE THE ONLY ONES WITH THIS RULE?

Also again, before i close this if any of you want to have a stab at answering this i would love to see it.

6 hours ago, Joel said:

1) DEFCON V is used when there is for use when there is no sign of Rebels at all in the area. This is why we just walk around without our guns out, we know that there is no hostiles in the area or anything that would be dangerous to us. Thus, there is no reason for us to have weapons out. Why would you need a gun out when you dont need to shoot anything.

Rebels use guerilla tactics. 

• Upvote 1
22 hours ago, Mord said:

I’m willing to completely abandon my original views because of tanks great suggestion. The idea is to change my mind and i think mr tank has done just that.

welcome hehe

On 8/15/2019 at 7:12 PM, Butcher232 said:

Just gonna plop this in here that I noticed a hefty chunk of people voting negatively on the poll above this post. I would just like to ask out of curiosity what prompted you to cast that vote as I, and I'm sure a few other are, curious.

(Specifically talking about @Twinkie, @John, @Wombatiacus, @Goliath and @Bailey, who voted no at the time of writing this)

I don't have time to sit down and write a long winded answer, suffice it to say thast there is a reason that the real military don't carry guns at all times and doing so would be dangerous and stupid and would result in many more imperial deaths.

On a regular military base you don't continually have a weapon with you, no. We have them in armories, and only get them during hightened threat levels. If an ISD wasn't a safe posting like it is (the amount of events we have are disproportionate to the threat an average ISD faced) and an active combat zone, then yes it would make sense, but actually boarding an ISD was very rare, and only standard patrols would have their weapons out at any given time with no elevated threat stance. So no, it wouldn't make sense militarily, which is what we are roleplaying as after all.