Hello everyone,

So recently there was a mass shooting in a Walmart in El Paso Texas, caused by a 21 year old with mental illness.

20 people were confirmed dead and many more were injured.

My condolences and prayers go to the families that have to go through the pain of losing their loved ones to such a tradgedy.

At this time I question the morale and decisions by the American government, their country has already amassed 259 shootings this year and they have done nothing about it. They blame it all on mental illness and try to ignore the fact that people are dying every day to a flawed set of gun laws. This is a huge problem that needs to be fixed but the NRA (National Rifle Association) will continue to bribe the presidents to do nothing about it. It physically hurts to think that a multi-millionare (probably even billionare) company is stopping the country from all these unnecessary deaths.

I'd like to hear everyone else opinions (or corrections) on this.

Thank you all for reading,

Aera

• Sad 3
  • Upvote 1

I have never liked the term 'mass shooting', especially when it comes to these recent ones. Most of these shootings - especially the one recently in Texas -  I would class as terrorism. And the saddest aspect of this all, if this was done by  any sort of foreigner or immigrant; action would have been taken immediately. 

However, it is unlikely anything will change. The money made is too great. It's a 28 billion dollar business. Moreover, the media will never cover the enormous nature of this problem in America.

Total gun homicides were 14,116 in 2016, and they are increasing. Nonfatal injuries with guns are recorded as 467,300 (but this figure is probably very inaccurate). Guns were used in 2/3 of all fatal domestic violence incidents. 489 people where accidentally killed with guns in 2015. Suicides are also a huge factor in gun deaths. 

These numbers are disgustingly high compared to other 1st world countries in the world. 

My condolences to the families, victims and first responders.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Aera said:

Hello everyone,

So recently there was a mass shooting in a Walmart in El Paso Texas, caused by a 21 year old with mental illness.

20 people were confirmed dead and many more were injured.

My condolences and prayers go to the families that have to go through the pain of losing their loved ones to such a tradgedy.

At this time I question the morale and decisions by the American government, their country has already amassed 259 shootings this year and they have done nothing about it. They blame it all on mental illness and try to ignore the fact that people are dying every day to a flawed set of gun laws. This is a huge problem that needs to be fixed but the NRA (National Rifle Association) will continue to bribe the presidents to do nothing about it. It physically hurts to think that a multi-millionare (probably even billionare) company is stopping the country from all these unnecessary deaths.

I'd like to hear everyone else opinions (or corrections) on this.

Thank you all for reading,

Aera

It infuriates me when people blame the wrong people. 

Though this is a common event in America the President/The government actually cannot set up more reliable gun laws due to it being one of the main source of income of many thousands American. 

I would much prefer if people who make these posts didn't use it to point fingers without actually researching the subject. 

• Upvote 1

Slavery was a pretty sweet source of income for Americans too but they managed to stomp that sh*t out because they realised it wasn't worth the human cost. Doing research ≠ being right, since there will be supporting facts on both sides and there is no reason to get infuriated when you have no way of knowing if they have actually researched the subject or not.

Tbh saying they can't do anything about it is a cop out because they can; they're just too scared of losing the redneck votes from all the people who love their guns more than they love their fellow man

An Australian news station once did a mockumentry about the removal of firearms in Australia. They questioned past Prime Minister's and several other people who initiated the change. The only thing they had in common? It was the just thing to do, and it was political suicide.

Same deal would happen today, however the republication party (currently in power) will never be willing to consider a gun amendment because it goes against their ideology. When the democrats however gain power, they may initiate some sort of change, however I am clueless about the process of changing their Bill of Rights, which may only be done so by a referendum. 

I saw this video the other day on my instagram, it just shook me that a kid younger than a good amount of the people from Imperial, couldn't buy alcohol or lottery tickets, but bought a gun within 10 minutes.

Imagine being the President of the United States and in the same tweet sending out condolences for two mass shootings that happened in your Country in the same day.

Its a sad prospect, and I have many condolences for all families involved, but every time one of these things happens, it makes me realise why I love living in Australia so much.

34 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Imagine being the President of the United States and in the same tweet sending out condolences for two mass shootings that happened in your Country in the same day.

Its a sad prospect, and I have many condolences for all families involved, but every time one of these things happens, it makes me realise why I love living in Australia so much.

Well said Bailey 

This happens every week. I know it sounds morbid but the country is f**ked over there in the head. Mass Shootings happen everyday, yet people stop caring after a week. When you're exposed to an event so many times it loses all the shock value. It's a sad situation but I predict they'll be another one within the next 2 weeks....

Y'know what really grinds my gears? There are things like this that happen more often and in a greater scale in third-world countries daily. But you don't hear about that? You don't hear about the peaceful protesters in Sudan that were killed where they stood. The media is corrupt and is run like a business. It is not run to enlighten us as much as it is to entertain us. There was no media coverage in the US or Europe about the Sudan crisis. Yet they show this? 20 people getting killed in El Paso? Sure it isn't good but can you not see the clear biased towards First-world countries? Anyway, just my opinion.

• Upvote 5

While I agree this is a horrible topic, I don't believe gun laws changing are the right step. From a morale standpoint guns are more harm than they are worth, but then again, America is a very different country. Another thing worth mentioning is that most gun related crimes in America are committed with stolen firearms, rather than bought firearms. While those firearms are easier to steal there due to so many more firearms in America, its not like there are no guns in Australia. My family own legal guns, my friends families own legal guns. But look, thats all just one way to look at it. I believe its a horrible situation that was put upon these people. No-one deserves to die, ever, I don't care how horrible a person is, and these people were just innocent civilians. My condolences to all the families involved

• Upvote 1

I agree with Julius, the amount of coverage that these shootings have gathered is completely unfair to more severe situations in less-developed countries, and this post is tying into this media bias he talked about. 

Where are the posts about the Sudanese Peaceful Protesters, where is the post about a terrorist attack in the Republic of Congo where 240 people died in an ethnic confrontation. 

There are constant attacks all over Africa and Saudi Arabia by Islamic State Insurgents, yet I don't see any acknowledgement of this.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion here, but yes, I agree with most that gun laws in America are flimsy and are flawed, further enforced by the fact that the last time the US Federal Government managed to pass laws which limited the spread and use of guns was 25 years ago.

No one deserves, to die.

Edited by Twinkie
  • Upvote 1