Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yuri

Storm Trooper Roleplay / MassRDM, NITRP, FailRP or Metagaming

This topic has never really been brought to the forums in brighter light only in-game or when same chat comes out through discord/teamspeak/admin sits but not that majorly, but I would like the discussion to begin and a topic to unravel so some clarification can occur. The topic of a Storm Trooper taking on the RP of a treasonous character that is working for either the rebels, battle droids, etc. or a character that has 'Post Traumatic Stress Disorder' having real strong memories from past battles, or even simply someone that has gone psychotic. Where is the line drawn on how far they can push their character and what would they need to do in order to signify they are attempting roleplay rather than going on a MassRDM'ing spree or committing numerous amounts of FailRP / Meta-gaming, for example knowing the Emperor Palpatines' full name, knowing Darth Vader's real name (Anakin Skywalker) knowing that Purge Troopers are clones, knowing things that haven't occurred yet; Krennic dies, Thrawn dies, the Death Star Explodes and Darth Vader can be referred to as Supreme Commander etc. This is just to get the ball rolling so if you have any examples/situations, statements, questions or in-sight just type it in the comments and anyone that wants to add some in-put, context or clarify the statements feel free to.

Edited by Yuri
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Yuri said:

Where is the line drawn on how far they can push their character

I think if it is something that adds flair to their character, and does not significantly alter or push boundaries for realism relating to their rank/character, then it is something permissible. 

If it is an ST who comes on and decides to commit treason however or insult the Emperor over live comms, that's just FailRP to me - in Star Wars no ST would ever insult the Emperor over live comms and commit high treason in such a silly manner.

Same goes for STs that decide that they IC know about the Emperor's real name/Vader being Anakin Skywalker.

Those are my thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Imperial regulation dictates annual psychiatric analysis of their assets, including the Imperial Stormtrooper Corps. Yes they're grunts, but that doesn't mean they let anyone in. It's like any military, people are checked for that specific thing, as the empire doesn't exactly want to be putting a blaster in the hands of madmen (save that for the rebels). Holding onto specific pieces of information could work, but you'd need an essay and a half to explain why and how exactly you got to sit on that information, and how you haven't already been found out. Keep in mind, this was Vaders and Palpy's prime, they could sense that sh*t like a shark with blood in the water. Akin to a shark, they will find you. But with the proper circumstances, I can see it's application in RP, depends.

• Like 1

I see this sort of RP done by many different troopers all the time normally treasonous behaviour that eventually gets found out and quickly disbanded, the result of it normally is a demotion to recruit or PK. Everything else normally ends up with staff.

• Like 1

This kind of roleplay in my eyes should be left for Events and Event masters under their supervision rather than letting ST's create characters and have an excuse to MRDM ect. This is why it is considered to be failrp rdm ect  as you wouldn't do this normally unless you were as you said a traitor or  suffering mental issues which is usually Up for events.

• Like 1

If it doesn't add to the enjoyment of the Server for BOTH parties involved, then that's where you draw the line, on top of this, interrupting anyone else caught in the cross-fire's RP.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

If it doesn't add to the enjoyment of the Server for BOTH parties involved, then that's where you draw the line, on top of this, interrupting anyone else caught in the cross-fire's RP.

^

If it is a trooper being treasonous but they are RP’ing it out properly then they are providing the opportunity for multiple regiments to role play along with it giving people things to do. The moment in which it becomes non RP’ble and just blatant minging that is where the line is drawn.

for example if a trooper is RP’ing being treasonous staff should be letting shock detaining them and ISB questioning them before bringing them into a sit in order to let troopers engage in some role play and not just straight away pulling them away.

• Like 1

Yeah, comes down to "does it make sense in character"

It would be reasonable that a trooper might have a punch up with another trooper as a result of having their honour insulted, after a heated in character disagreement, or even something simple as having an RP crate knocked from their hands; but it is unlikely that a trooper would premeditate a murder and then go carry it out on an ISD, surrounded by other troopers loyal to the Empire. Much less likely again that a trooper would mentally snap and begin a rampage. 

It is not likely that troopers will trust each other enough to confide any doubts they have in the Empire, as they would expect 99% of troopers to turn them in for expressing these treasonous thoughts - this makes cults/uprisings/rebellions incredibly unlikely to occur in character.  A trooper is reasonably likely to slander lesser officers among his own troopers, which may lead to some pranking shenanigans against said officer, but again, unlikely it would come to violence in character.

Instances of PTSD or other mental illness would come to light during scheduled medical checkups or ISB loyalty tests, and are unlikely to trigger a spontaneous meltdown in character as troopers prone to such issues are identified and weeded out ahead of time.

A trooper is not likely to ever have any in depth knowledge relating to the Jedi or the Sith, nor any knowledge of TI or the Death Star.

• Like 1

Every time I bring out my fists, I'm afraid a staff member will take me aside for minging, when in fact I just wanna slap tf out of somebody in-RP for being an ass to me. Not everybody is a like-minded individual or trained with utter respect to the law and other people. Some people just want to shoot sh*t or punch some sh*t because they're a full-on soldier and have the means to do so, and if that is roleplayed properly I see no problem in it existing.

But yes if a trooper decides to randomly go on a rampage without some pre-existing roleplay to "warn" other players and just uses some on-the-spot excuse of being psychotic or something, that's not right and should be punished accordingly. It's always circumstantial.

• Like 1

Making a character that has the ability to Rdm just seems like a mega minge move straight up 

Edited by Delta
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Boris said:

Just get good at not getting in trouble for it...

Smh, just don’t be naughty.

2 hours ago, Yuri said:

knowing things that haven't occurred yet; Krennic dies, Thrawn dies, the Death Star Explodes and Darth Vader can be referred to as Supreme Commander etc.

This will always be failRP for obvious reasons, but people do RP as rebellious troopers. It gives ISB RP so I'm all for it. It's just if you wanna RP as a rebellious trooper you'll have to face the consequences that comes with it. Whether it be a PK or demotion.

• Upvote 1

I agree with most of the posts above. The line is drawn at where one party stops finding enjoyment from the situation.

It is almost always clear whether a trooper is RPing or just minging.

That said, I DO believe staff need to step back when fists are brought out. 7 times out of 10 they are an RP situation, and it's not strong enough to be a mass RDM situation.

• Upvote 1

Extra RP is always good, but as above, there is a fine line. Perhaps it may be good to let other members know OOC that your RP Character will have some 'unusual' aspects, as prior warning/notice could avoid many staff issues. Anyway, would be fun, I think, but you'd need to be very careful with it.

5 hours ago, Yuri said:

This topic has never really been brought to the forums in brighter light only in-game or when same chat comes out through discord/teamspeak/admin sits but not that majorly, but I would like the discussion to begin and a topic to unravel so some clarification can occur. The topic of a Storm Trooper taking on the RP of a treasonous character that is working for either the rebels, battle droids, etc. or a character that has 'Post Traumatic Stress Disorder' having real strong memories from past battles, or even simply someone that has gone psychotic. Where is the line drawn on how far they can push their character and what would they need to do in order to signify they are attempting roleplay rather than going on a MassRDM'ing spree or committing numerous amounts of FailRP / Meta-gaming, for example knowing the Emperor Palpatines' full name, knowing Darth Vader's real name (Anakin Skywalker) knowing that Purge Troopers are clones, knowing things that haven't occurred yet; Krennic dies, Thrawn dies, the Death Star Explodes and Darth Vader can be referred to as Supreme Commander etc. This is just to get the ball rolling so if you have any examples/situations, statements, questions or in-sight just type it in the comments and anyone that wants to add some in-put, context or clarify the statements feel free to.

Look, I think massive RDM draws the line. If say, said player (lets call him Bobby) wants to make his character a rebel spy. A massive RDM is not a way to go as it is mingey and not really a defined motive. Your a spy, your there for intel. So Bobby needs to keep a low profile if he is not to get caught. In order to complete his mission he would need to eaves drop on conversations or meeting without being caught or acting suspicious. In terms of Killing other players, Bobby should refrain from killing someone, and if so, it should be done away from prying eyes. 

The basic point is, if you want to add a rebelious sode to your character, you need to be smart about both in game and minge wise, though most rebels would kill a storm trooper on the spot, a rebel disguised as a storm trooper needs to keep his cover, and therefore must be smart about his actions, 

Thats what I reckon, as long as you keep to character in game and not be mingey or creat meta, I think that is fine for RP. And if your character is caught, game over for the rebel, start over again as an imperial. (Though it would be annoying so I say with great risk comes consequences so you would have to start again, because your character got caught, therefore  he treasonous boi, therefore executed therefore no longer exists therefore you must start over as an ST, but that seems fair to me, betray the empire, you die in character)

Sorry this is a really long example but what do you guys think? I think this would be fair

Ol' mate Kristofer before he got name PKed was someone who despised how the Empire was ran, and only swore his ultimate allegiance to the ISB.

Never got caught, never really lashed out and disrespected the Emperor. It was just there for additional flare and softRP for myself.

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.