Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rook

♜ The Calling - A Short Story ♜

I had an urge to write, and Matrix had already written me into a story, so I decided to write about that. If you don't know my character, here's some brief context. Chuck us some feedback too, always looking to improve.

If you like it, leave an upvote!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

It is your emotions that drove you here, your emotions that made you strong, and your emotions that will lead you to the information you seek about your parents.

He'd always had a way with words. He used to read to his sisters at night, to his mother in the morning, to all who would listen. Words had always been his specialty.
     "You are my sunrise and sunset," she would say. "Never let anybody silence you."

Don't be like them.

She, being his mother. His real mother. The one who took him in and gave him food and a home, when his old family abandoned him. Yet he had never felt more enslaved to anything in his life than he did to these words. Emperor Palpatine's words, echoing through his head every minute of every day. Driving him towards his goal.

It is your attachment, your fear of losing those you love that gives you the drive you need to succeed.

His attachment. He'd often felt ashamed of his attachment. He was so dependent on his family, when the other children had been so free-spirited and mature.

Feel the pain of your loss.

Did he really lose anything? All he had before they gave him away was a woman to feed him milk as a babe. He clearly wasn't good enough, otherwise they would have chosen him over their precious order.

The dark side will make you unstoppable, and one day you can have your revenge.

Yet he now understood their loyalty. Why have a child, when all it does is creates a weakness? Of course, that wasn't their reasoning, but that his parents chose to abandon him was equally as impressive as it was painful. For an order centred around peace, the Jedi were very disconnected.

The transport slowed slightly, as it entered the Joranus asteroid belt. He wasn't far off Alderaan. 'Rook' returned his gaze to the note in his hand. A message from Lord Vader himself.

"Vanquisher. I trust by now you have heard the rumours. Whispers of a dark presence on Alderaan. Find the source, tame it, and bring it to me. Do not return to me if you fail."

He wasn't going to fail.
    "How far from the planet, Helix?" he asked.
    "Not long, sir. We'll be entering the system in about two minutes."
    "And security?"
    "They know we're coming. They won't stop you."

His pilot, Helix, had a keen eye for flight, and a knack for detail. Her deep purple skin was darker than most Keshiri, signifying a purer bloodline, and she sported a large scar across her left cheek. Being pure bloods, her family had the honour of serving some of the greater Sith lords of the past. She had been assigned to him upon his appointment as Vanquisher and had vowed to assist the Skyborn in any way possible. The Keshiri were a proud and old race, loyal to their masters and family. Their ancestors swore a life of servitude to the Sith after mistaking a crashed shuttle for a visit from their ‘Skyborn’ gods, yet once a vow is made, it is never broken. They serve with dignity and pride.
    “Good,” Rook said, “It is rare that I say this, but I am in no mood for murder.”

The shuttle landed with a soft thud, and its doors slid open silently, the slightly stale atmosphere of Alderaan meeting his mouth and nose. The smell of half-burnt forests and an industrialised ecosystem filled his lungs. He must have responded audibly, as Helix smirked.
    “Not a fan of plants, Vanquisher?” she asked slyly.
    “It smells of human,” Rook replied, “it’s not exactly paradise.”
    “It’s better than where you’re from.”
    “Don’t test me, girl.”
She was fearless, despite the numerous skulls he’d claimed as trophies, and the lightsaber strapped to his belt. She never hesitated to give him a piece of her mind. He respected the nerve. She kept him sane on trips such as these.

They set off, and walked together in silence for a while, towards a town to the south. The path was wide, but their surroundings were dense. The Southern Forest Region they called it, an apt name, albeit not an original one. A Thranta wailed from above, playfully skimming the canopy of the forest as it migrated to its new home for the long wet-season.
    “So,” Helix began, “I take it you know where we’re going?”
    “Yes.” Rook replied.
    She sighed audibly. “Where are we going?”
    Rook decided against conflict. “Duron, a farming city. There have been numerous reports of missing persons, hundreds, disappearing after signing up to work for the Empire on a compound in the south. It would seem to be regular imperial business; however, these are people the Empire actually need for their labour.” He stopped, as if this was enough information.
    “So? Why are they missing?” she pressed.
    Rook continued. “There are whispers of a dark presence, force presence, spreading its seeds of corruption through the encampment. It started with increased insomnia for labourers and transitioned to widespread paranoia and a few accounts of murder.”
    Something about his tone intrigued her. “You’ve seen this before?”
    “Of course. Humans are a weak species, and the dark side does not make compromises. There’s something out there for me to take, and I plan to take it. Whatever the cost.”

Whatever the cost.
He’d said that only once before, when he swore loyalty to the Emperor and the Sith order. He would serve and grow under new guidance, and vowed to live in pursuit of his goal, when he would one day take his revenge. Whatever the cost.
    A branch snapped to their right, and the duo stopped. Rook did not skip a beat.
    “I would advise against choosing us,” he said, “your heads are not the reason I came.”
    Four rugged and skinny men emerged from behind some trees brandishing pitchforks and makeshift weapons. One held what looked like a battle-axe made from broken dinner plates. They couldn’t have been older than 25. They had an air of desperation.
    “This one looks fancy,” the smallest snarled.
    “Indeed,” another replied, as if he’d never used the word, “he might be carryin’ somethin’ nice too, wif any luck.”
    The largest glared at them, and they quickly shut up. He wasn’t an overly big man, but he had an air of both authority, and immaturity. He was dressed, like the others, in common workers clothes, soiled brown from use. He brandished the most useful looking weapon of them all, a rusty cutlass with a brown hilt made from animal skin. All of them looked as though they hadn’t seen a meal in a week.
    “Now you listen here, fancy-pants,” the leader began, “if there’s one thing I don’t like, its having to kill travellers for not giving up their valuables. Are you going to help us out?”
    There was a tense silence. The Vanquisher broke it.
    “Four,” Rook murmured.
    The bandits looked briefly confused.
    “Four? Yeah, there are four of us. Four of us, and two of you. I’m no good at maths, but I reckon we have you outnumbered.”
    “My apologies. I meant three.”
    The bandits heard a quiet gurgle from behind them, and quickly turned.
    “What the f**k?! Kell!” one cried. The shortest of the four was hanging in mid-air, seemingly suspended by an invisible rope. His head was rolled back, and his pitchfork protruded at right angles from his body, buried deep within his abdomen, blood dripping to the floor. He was alive and convulsing yet made no noise and uttered no screams.
    The leader steeled himself and turned back to face Rook. The other two stood frozen, staring wide-eyed in disbelief at the scene in front of them.
    “M-my apologies sir, we didn’t know you were no Sith. We mean no more trouble, simply lookin’ for food is all. Please have mercy,” he said.
    Rook unhooked his lightsaber from his belt, and walked towards the men calmly.
    “Jim, I can’t move,” one hissed, seemingly on the verge of tears. “He’s got my legs. They won’t move!”
    “I gave you my warning. You did not listen. That is more mercy than we generally offer.” Rook brought his lightsaber up and held it, fist down, between two of the three remaining men. It was a dual hilt, stolen from the corpse of the Vanquisher who proceeded him. He ignited his weapon, and a dark red glow erupted from both sides, tearing towards the faces of the two snivelling men who stood frozen behind their leader. Their skin melted. They were not alive to see it.
    “Jim, is it?” Rook asked.
    The man nodded warily, seemingly blocking out the horror around him. He clutched his necklace, an ornate locket. Rook sensed the man’s love for what was within. Pictures of his child.
    “You wish to be with your daughter, yes? Quite a pretty thing, it seems. I can see her now, your head is quite open.”
    Jim let out a whimper.
    “Don’t worry,” Rook reassured him, “I’ll make sure she joins you soon.”
    He drove the lightsaber deep into his chest. The man’s eyes glazed.
    Helix, who until now was watching with great interest from behind, walked up and removed the locket from the dead man’s neck. They turned together and walked on.

After long last, they approached the compound. Rook reach forward with his arms, pulling the large gates apart from a distance. It was barren and dirty, without a soul in sight. An abandoned construction site allegedly still in use.
    “There’s nobody here,” Helix remarked.
    “Very perceptive of you.” Rook replied.
    Rook knelt into the dust, placed his hand flat on the ground, and closed his eyes.
    “What are you doing?” Helix asked.
    “Listening.”
    It didn't take long for the tremors to start. Small ripples cascaded into his mind. He felt Helix breathing beside him, he felt a native wolf-cat scavenge for food on the far side of the compound, and the worms dig beneath the earth. He felt their force presence… and he felt something else, too. Something much, much stronger. A dark power emanating from the abandoned facility, somewhere below the surface of the earth, beckoning him. Waiting to be taken.
    They pushed on, stepping cautiously through the ground level of the facility. It seemed to be only recently abandoned, housing what was most likely imperial engineers and military. It had been ransacked recently, upturned desks and equipment strewn across the room; blueprints for new technology lying haphazardly on the floor. In the far corner was a simple staircase, leading down. They heard a dulled explosion from below. The floor shook.
    They took the stairs slowly, descending to the basement. Rook motioned for Helix to wait.
    “I’m not a chil-”
    Rook gripped his fist, and the girl’s mouth was forced shut. She nodded.
    Ahead of him lay an open corridor, and at the far end, an open hole in the wall. Rocks were scattered across the ground, dust was still settling, and a dull red glow invited him to walk closer. He knew what lay inside was powerful, and he would kill whatever was here to take it from him.
    He reached the makeshift doorway and looked inside, and the corners of his mouth twitched with a sick passion:

A boy, mid-teens, knelt over a mangled body and made his final strike, wielding a small prism as his weapon. It pulsed as vibrantly red as the blood which covered it. The victim, who couldn’t have been much older than the assailant, twitched slightly as his life force ebbed away. Rook watched as the boy held the object, turning it between his hands, admiring its beauty. He felt his power, strong and uncontrolled. Rook reached towards the boy as he turned, unflinching.
    “Come with me.”

• Upvote 12

TL;DR

Rook is a bad-ass :dealwithit_trump:

Seriously though, this is very well done. Amazing work!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Boris said:

Where's the part Novice Boris literally destroys Lord Vader

<22:59:02> Rook has banned you from the server. Duration: Indefinitely!

16 minutes ago, Wombatiacus said:

I enjoyed that definitely better than GoT (I just watched it). <3

Still on season 3. Just watched the red wedding. GG. Catching up quick.

Ahh, he’s finally found the path to the upvotes. Excellent work my apprentice.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Imagine being a red tag and having to put in effort to get upvotes ;)

3 minutes ago, SCHEFF said:

Gotta do what you gotta do. Path to IG Legend here I come.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Gotta do what you gotta do. Path to IG Legend here I come.

I gotchu 

i love how that tied in perfectly with matrix's story aswell. one of the best reads ive ever read.

• Upvote 1

Nice job Rook, it fit in really nicely with my backstory but I couldn’t help but think of this song when I saw the title. 

Edited by Matrix
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

>doesn’t upvote

3 hours ago, SCHEFF said:

Imagine not being a red tag

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Rook said:

Imagine not being a red tag

GOT EM

• Upvote 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Preview Post