Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Good Morning Imperial Gaming,

This is just a reminder that in two days ANZAC Day will be occurring in Australia and New Zealand and because our Server is predominantly Australian and New Zealander I thought I'd bring it up and speak to you all about it, ANZAC Day isn't a day of celebration or happiness, obviously, it is a day of mourning and remembrance, devised to remember and honour those who fought to make both of our Countries what they are today. 

Even if you believe the day glorifies War, I implore all of Imperial Gaming, rather than arguing about the day or outright ignoring the day altogether, to come together on the day and remember those who paid the ultimate sacrifice so we can sit here and play video games.

Put aside your differences and just ask someone if they're ok, speak about ANZAC Day and the World Wars, don't let the memories of these great men fade from our minds, or read about those who fought for us, not just at Gallipoli, but throughout the entirety of both World Wars, and in the wars afterward.

I will most likely be putting up a small vigil or memorial on the Clone Wars Server in memory of the diggers who laid down their lives for us all that time ago.

Thanks for reading.

Lest we forget.

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

well said @Bailey I think there should be a memorial in game and a ANZAC ceremony held in-game on the night of ANZAC day for both servers for everyone to pay our respect

Edited by Lachlan
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lachlan said:

well said @Bailey I think there should be a memorial in game and a ANZAC ceremony held in-game on the night of ANZAC day for both servers for everyone to pay our respect

I'd tend to disagree for the ceremony, we don't have anyone who is actually qualified to do something on that scale and I think it would just be better to have a memorial for a few days and to encourage players to speak to new people and take advantage of the gifts that these men fought for.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just gonna say this.....If you're gonna show your respect to people who died in a war with a memorial in Garry's Mod - I would rather the server be shut down for the entire day so people can actually go mourn...Not mourn on a Gmod Star WarsRP Server, it's more disrespectful then anything

  • Shocked 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lachlan said:

well said @Bailey I think there should be a memorial in game and a ANZAC ceremony held in-game on the night of ANZAC day for both servers for everyone to pay our respect

This sort of thing happened on the [REDACTED] server and it was going fine for awhile but then the person who was speaking laughed which really made everyone angry, to stop this from happening again on this server it would be best not to do a memorial in game. Like what Bailey said there most likely isn't someone that is qualified to do the ceremony on that scale. Also Thank you Bailey for bringing this to everyone's attention it was well said. I'll see if we can make a small vigil or memorial on the Imperial Server in memory of the diggers laid down there lives for us.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Boris said:

I'm just gonna say this.....If you're gonna show your respect to people who died in a war with a memorial in Garry's Mod - I would rather the server be shut down for the entire day so people can actually go mourn...Not mourn on a Gmod Star WarsRP Server, it's more disrespectful then anything

Yeah I don't think a memorial in-game would work out

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wombatiacus said:

This sort of thing happened on the [REDACTED] server and it was going fine for awhile but then the person who was speaking laughed which really made everyone angry, to stop this from happening again on this server it would be best not to do a memorial in game. Like what Bailey said there most likely isn't someone that is qualified to do the ceremony on that scale. Also Thank you Bailey for bringing this to everyone's attention it was well said. I'll see if we can make a small vigil or memorial on the Imperial Server in memory of the diggers laid down there lives for us.

Don't bother redacting Empire Gaming, there's literally no point. We've talked enough about in the past and in length.

An issue I've had in the past with a memorial is that the hangar it was situated in (which was MH1) was still often used in violent events. If we have a memorial, it should be in a safe and secure place and should be off-limits for event characters If anybody, event characters or not, are found disrespecting this memorial or any ceremony we have (which I do recommend we do out of pure respect, it doesn't need to be perfect), they should be punished severely. If they can't respect our fallen heroes, they can't expect to be respected themselves.

I distinctly remember Pureus fighting a bunch Rebel NPCs while swinging his lightsaber in PAC. Blaster bolts were hitting the memorial constantly. It made me sick inside.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SCHEFF said:

Don't bother redacting Empire Gaming, there's literally no point. We've talked enough about in the past and in length.

An issue I've had in the past with a memorial is that the hangar it was situated in (which was MH1) was still often used in violent events. If we have a memorial, it should be in a safe and secure place and should be off-limits for event characters If anybody, event characters or not, are found disrespecting this memorial or any ceremony we have (which I do recommend we do out of pure respect, it doesn't need to be perfect), they should be punished severely. If they can't respect our fallen heroes, they can't expect to be respected themselves.

I distinctly remember Pureus fighting a bunch Rebel NPCs while swinging his lightsaber in PAC. Blaster bolts were hitting the memorial constantly. It made me sick inside.

Just do the same thing we did for the Christchurch attacks, move it away and lay it down on a tree in the forest somewhere, if people want to go see it, they can go out there on a patrol, but most events won't happen near it, and so people won't accidentally shoot at it.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Wombatiacus said:

This sort of thing happened on the [REDACTED] server and it was going fine for awhile but then the person who was speaking laughed which really made everyone angry, to stop this from happening again on this server it would be best not to do a memorial in game. Like what Bailey said there most likely isn't someone that is qualified to do the ceremony on that scale. Also Thank you Bailey for bringing this to everyone's attention it was well said. I'll see if we can make a small vigil or memorial on the Imperial Server in memory of the diggers laid down there lives for us.

 

5 minutes ago, Vanilla said:

Yeah I don't think a memorial in-game would work out

Its not going to be a ceremony where people talk, no one on IG is qualified to do those men justice, just a small memorial in remembrance of those brave soldiers that risked it all for Australia.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If I get up early enough and am feeling up to it, I might host a voluntary dawn service in the DS-01 - our hangar is usually pretty insulated from server shenanigans, could be a good, out of the way place to reflect and maybe say a few words.  

20 minutes ago, Boris said:

I'm just gonna say this.....If you're gonna show your respect to people who died in a war with a memorial in Garry's Mod - I would rather the server be shut down for the entire day so people can actually go mourn...Not mourn on a Gmod Star WarsRP Server, it's more disrespectful then anything

I disagree with this entirely.  The usual ANZAC dawn service I would attend every year is back in my hometown, which I cannot travel to and from in one day (or without significant expense).  Being able to have a small service with a few of the homies from IG will allow me that social element I'll be missing out on, despite the fact I now live half a country from anyone I know.  Showing respect is showing respect; whether you use a digital medium to communicate with people or go to attend a service in real life, it makes no difference, the intention is the same. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, SCHEFF said:

I distinctly remember Pureus fighting a bunch Rebel NPCs while swinging his lightsaber in PAC. Blaster bolts were hitting the memorial constantly. It made me sick inside.

Sounds like something he'd do.

 

I agree with Tonberry, it should be hosted somewhere isolated like the DS-01 Hangar.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's not do an event themed around this please 

 

Let's not read anything out, and only make a stone thing etc

 

Or not at all. We don't need to make a memorial, and just ask that people do their own thing for the day.

 

All the best.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Marsh said:

Let's not do an event themed around this please 

Definitely, no Events based around it.

I'll make sure the EMs know.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not just call everyone to debrief and hold a couple of minutes of silence, doesn't have to be big and elaborate, just time to sit down and reflect with oneself.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sky said:

Why not just call everyone to debrief and hold a couple of minutes of silence, doesn't have to be big and elaborate, just time to sit down and reflect with oneself.

 

 

3 hours ago, Boris said:

I'm just gonna say this.....If you're gonna show your respect to people who died in a war with a memorial in Garry's Mod - I would rather the server be shut down for the entire day so people can actually go mourn...Not mourn on a Gmod Star WarsRP Server, it's more disrespectful then anything

 I agree with Sky's comment because although we are remembering ANZAC day on a Gmod SWRP server like Boris said before, we would still be remembering it in a way that shouldn't anger people with a memorial that would get shot and an event to do with the anniversary. We would just remember together the sacrifice of those in the great war.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Clause said:

Imagine being that much of a soi boi that you think this is what ANZAC day really is.

"mAyBe mY WiFe's bOyFrIeNd wIlL BuY Me a sWiTcH If i sAy tHiS!"

Some people do believe it, I don't, but I needed to let those people know.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Clause said:

Imagine being that much of a soi boi that you think this is what ANZAC day really is.

"mAyBe mY WiFe's bOyFrIeNd wIlL BuY Me a sWiTcH If i sAy tHiS!"

Do you know how many Ottoman Soldiers were killed for protecting the Dardanelles and Gallipoli - Yes the invaded Egypt and incursions were made in the northern mountains but so much bloodshed was caused against a people who were defending their home 

250,000 Ottoman and Arabic troops died defending Gallipoli....From the British and ANZACS

This is a day of mourning but it still in peoples minds glorifies war....So much bloodshed for nothing

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Boris said:

This is a day of mourning but it still in peoples minds glorifies war....So much bloodshed for nothing

Blame Churchill.

 

Anyway whenever this conflict arises between the idea of honouring the two sides, being the Turks and the ANZAC soldiers I like to quote this from a Colonel Mustafa Kemal, the same man who would go on to found the Republic of Turkey after its war of independence. You can see him on the front lines of Gelibolu/Gallipoli here in the Campaigns closing stages: 

Turkish_trenches_at_Gallipoli.jpg

 

Here's what he said to say when reminiscing on the Campaign years later as the President of Turkey;

A moving tribute to the Anzacs killed at Gallipoli is often attributed to Atatürk in 1934:

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives ...
You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country.
Therefore rest in peace.
There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours ...
You, the mothers who sent their sons from faraway countries, wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace.
After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

Edited by Sterling
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sky said:

Why not just call everyone to debrief and hold a couple of minutes of silence, doesn't have to be big and elaborate, just time to sit down and reflect with oneself.

I feel that won't go well, some minge is going to blurt out the n word or something

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Boris said:

Do you know how many Ottoman Soldiers were killed for protecting the Dardanelles and Gallipoli - Yes the invaded Egypt and incursions were made in the northern mountains but so much bloodshed was caused against a people who were defending their home 

250,000 Ottoman and Arabic troops died defending Gallipoli....From the British and ANZACS

This is a day of mourning but it still in peoples minds glorifies war....So much bloodshed for nothing

As Sterling stated, it is a day that honours the fallen of the ANZAC AND the Ottoman troopers both. The prime focus of the day is to honour the dead, not to glorify the war. I see in no way how a person could think a day for honouring the dead is a day of glorifying one of the most brutal wars in human history. It is a day of showing our respect to the brothers and sisters that sacrificed their life on that beach over 100 years ago for the freedom we now retain today. Although the Turkish may have ended up on the non victorious side (no one wins in war regardless), they still sacrificed their life for their people and thus are honoured alongside the ANZAC troopers today.

Let's not argue any further.

Edited by Clause
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Quoth said:

I feel that won't go well, some minge is going to blurt out the n word or something

Then ban them harshly for racism and disrespect, we shouldn't have to wallow in fear of someone ruining something when there are punishments that can be handed to those who ruin the privilege of being on the server.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone please spend as much time on the day with family and friends. Doing it on Gmod is fine and all, but the diggers didn't risk their lives so we could develop technologically. They risked their lives so we could live free and peacefully. Go and hug the family members near you and try to attend a dawn service if it's possible for you. Try and spend a minimum amount of time on video games and really just appreciate the fact that we get the liberty of complaining about not having enough time on games instead of complaining about areas of your country getting invaded or bombed.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...