Sully

[UPDATE] New Zealand Incident

*SENSITIVE TOPIC WARNING*

Spoiler

I would like to personally tell any community member who is New Zealand or in Christchurch specifically that everyone's thoughts and prayers are with you and your family's, this also goes for those who are in Australia who have family in NZ. I advise you all to contact any family you have in the area and ensure they are safe and secure.

"Our thoughts are with our Kiwi brothers and sisters" - Australian Prime Minister Scott Morison

________________________________________________________________________________________

SITUATION INFORMATION:

As some of you are already aware today several unprecedented acts of violence have unfolded in Christchurch, New Zealand. These Incidents include 2 reported cases of shots being fired at different Mosques with hundreds of people in attendance as well as a bomb threat nearby. The Christchurch hospital and Christchurch schools are currently on lock down and all residents have been advised to stay indoors as the active shooter situation unfolds with police confirming there have been casualties but are yet to confirm the extent of the casualties.

Christchurch police have taken 1 man into custody regarding the tragic events but advise residents to stay indoors and remain vigilant until the situation has been completely resolved as they may be others involved. Most public areas around the city remain on lock down and residents and police have put all their resources on keeping Christchurch safe as well as city's all across the country with armored and armed police in circulation and on standby.

NZ Police Emergency Contact Number: 111

NZ Police Twitter (Updates as the situation unfolds): https://twitter.com/nzpolice

*LIVE MEDIA STAND UP AT 5:30PM NZDT WITH MORE UPDATES*

What we know so far (Main points) 

11:42am (WAST), 1:42 pm (AEST), 2:42 pm (AEDT), 4:45 pm (NZDT)

Spoiler

What we know so far

• Multiple people have been shot dead in shootings at two mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch during Friday afternoon prayers. A car with explosives inside was intercepted by police nearby
  • One suspect is in custody but police warned they are still tracing an active shooter. Police commissioner Mike Bush said: “Close your doors until you hear from us again.”
  • The prime minister, Jacinda Ardern, said it was “One of New Zealand’s darkest days”, calling the attacks “an unprecedented act of violence”.
  • The city has been placed in lockdown, with schools and public buildings closed. Nearby climate change protests were evacuated and council staff have been looking after children separated from their relatives in the chaos.
  • Ardern spoke of the attacker’s motivation, saying the victims might include refugees and migrants. “They are us,” she said, before saying the perpetrator “has no place in New Zealand”.
  • Witness Len Peneha says he saw a man dressed in black enter the mosque – believed to have hundreds of people inside – and then heard dozens of shots. He says he also saw the gunman flee before emergency services arrived

*Police are working to have the disturbing footage of the incident that is circulating online taken down*

Edited by Sully
[INFORMATION UPDATE] - 12:02 (WAST)
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Thanks for the information 
to anyone who is affected by this,
Best wishes to you, and your family

Edited by Wooley

Honestly, my thoughts and prayers are with everyone that has been affected by these monstrous people.
Hopefully, all involved in these acts are violence are apprehended shortly.

Yikes hope those responsible get punished harshly for it 

Thoughts are with anyone in NZ right now 

Just contacted my family in christchurch, thankfully my aunt and cousin are both in lockdown in their areas with my uncle trying to get home. They are right next to one location so it's a bit nerve wracking. So appreciative of this update guys. My heart goes out to anyone else with family/friends in the area or those living out there 

4 minutes ago, sunaalt said:

@Ben Hope you and your brother is doing okay.

he's okay, just a bit shaken, his work was just in lockdown, apparently he was only a few kilometers away from the shooting

God rest the dead, may they rest in peace. Our thoughts are with all those in New Zealand.

We will not forget the victims.

Lest We Forget

And damn those murderers to hell. They deserve the full wrath of the justice system.

Edited by Dave

1 hour ago, Ana said:

Just contacted my family in christchurch, thankfully my aunt and cousin are both in lockdown in their areas with my uncle trying to get home. They are right next to one location so it's a bit nerve wracking. So appreciative of this update guys. My heart goes out to anyone else with family/friends in the area or those living out there 

This is good to hear, this is my exact reason for the post. I wanted to inform those who were unaware so they could ensure their family, friends and themselves were safe and could stay safe.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.