WE MUST DO SOMETHING BEFORE ITS TO LATE

[Sorry for the title clickbait but this is important] 

Was watching a documentary recently on climate change, to cut a long story short what the scientist was saying was "Between 2030 to 2050 over 2 billion people could die from climate change"

For those of you who cant do math that is 12 years away...12 years. And this made me really nervous, our government in Australia is doing nothing to fix this problem, people are protesting and protesting with no results, but with a federal election coming up soon we must try to get someone into office that wants to secure our future. In Brisbane on Friday over 100,000 school children will be protesting for climate change [This is GREAT] but it's not enough. 

Was just wondering if any members of the community felt the same way. 

-Smoke

Not trying to force my political opinions on you and please don't get butt hurt by what I said but am just making some conversation, and see what people think about pressing world issues

Edited by Smoke
  • Downvote 1
  • Upvote 4

Don't know if we are meant to project our political beliefs on here tbh.

But to all those able to vote. Please Vote for the party that is going to make a difference.

This is incorrect. Prime Minister Scott Morrison has put $2 Billion dollars towards lowering Australian emissions. He has promised a 26 to 28 percent decrease in emissions by 2030. 

Secondly, if you want the community to help, you don't have much of a choice. You could stop playing video games, therefore not using computers, and then turn stop factories emissions by creating said computers, (and in a sense video games as per spending on creation of video games via their massive corporate offices or at least the manufacture of vehicles and therefore use).

If you wanted personally to help, you wouldn't be using a computer, as the creation and selling of the computer (manufacture - shipping - storage) all play a role in committing to the carbon emissions. 

TL:DR - Your facts are wrong, and you can't really do much as per an individual or small community. 

Thanks. 

• Thinking 1
  • Downvote 7
  • Upvote 4

Go ScoMo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: @Katelyn I feel like your post is a bit toxic and unnecessary, all smoke is doing is sharing something he found on the internet. It's a prediction, that means it could come true or it won't become true, you don't need to call them out on it.

Edited by Galle
  • Downvote 1
  • Upvote 3
12 minutes ago, Galle said:

Go ScoMo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: @Katelyn I feel like your post is a bit toxic and unnecessary, all smoke is doing is sharing something he found on the internet. Even if it might not be true, you don't need to call them out on it

I wouldn't have a problem with it, but on the same accord, this post is 'toxic and unnecessary". I am going to get a little political here;

Smoke is spreading false information about the Liberal Government in Australia and is urging people not to vote for them. Now that, that is toxic. Evidence:

1 hour ago, Smoke said:

but with a federal election coming up soon we must try to get someone into office that wants to secure our future

What I have said is true, as a small community, we can't really do much to change global warming or greatly effect climate change. This comes from the fact that this community has what, 150-160 people? (give or take). If we were all to give up our computer use, stop using our cars, and stop polluting, we wouldn't change it at all. 

In my humble and honest opinion, Smoke is against the Liberal Party and is using the Imperial Gaming Forums to spread his propaganda. 

If this response is toxic, then I apologize. 

Thanks.

• Thinking 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Katelyn said:

This is incorrect. Prime Minister Scott Morrison has put $2 Billion dollars towards lowering Australian emissions. He has promised a 26 to 28 percent decrease in emissions by 2030. 

Secondly, if you want the community to help, you don't have much of a choice. You could stop playing video games, therefore not using computers, and then turn stop factories emissions by creating said computers, (and in a sense video games as per spending on creation of video games via their massive corporate offices or at least the manufacture of vehicles and therefore use).

If you wanted personally to help, you wouldn't be using a computer, as the creation and selling of the computer (manufacture - shipping - storage) all play a role in committing to the carbon emissions. 

TL:DR - Your facts are wrong, and you can't really do much as per an individual or small community. 

Thanks. 

HqUXe35.png 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

I've seen other studies/documentaries that say the recent climate change is a natural process just repeating itself like it has many times before. I don't have a deep enough understanding of it to really enforce what I think is 100% truth, but it definitely cannot do bad to help reduce our carbon footprint.

15 minutes ago, Helsing said:

I've seen other studies/documentaries that say the recent climate change is a natural process just repeating itself like it has many times before. I don't have a deep enough understanding of it to really enforce what I think is 100% truth, but it definitely cannot do bad to help reduce our carbon footprint.

While this is partially true and the earth should be going through a natural warming process it has been sped up extremely by Greenhouse gasses and CO2 emissions. This has caused extreme temperature fluctuations and has caused large killings of many flora and fauna due to them having no time to evolve because of how drastically the whether has changed from less than 200 years ago.
So, while what your saying is correct its just not how it is actually happening this time. 

Also yeah I have been wanting to make a change, but there isn't really much I can do as the government while they make small efforts haven't made much of a difference and you cant change the majority of the population that thinks its not as bad as it sounds and have grown up thinking it is natural. 

And yeah, Katelyn is correct the government has made (in comparison to what we could do) small steps to assist but if they really want to change should invest more money into renewable energy sources such as solar or wave/tidal energy instead of deciding whether or not to sell the Great Australian Bight to oil drilling companies that will make the future worse for slight profit right now.

Not to be political or anything ;)

1 hour ago, Joel said:

And yeah, Katelyn is correct the government has made (in comparison to what we could do) small steps to assist but if they really want to change should invest more money into renewable energy sources such as solar or wave/tidal energy instead of deciding whether or not to sell the Great Australian Bight to oil drilling companies that will make the future worse for slight profit right now.

Yeah, that's right. The Govt. has put in place many changes and promised money, but it all comes down to the general population. If people aren't willing to follow the rules and recommendations by Government departments and scientists, then the Govt. isn't to blame. Increase Tax in fuels and oil will reduce this, short term may cause people to get pissed, however long term, as not many people will be driving vehicles, carbon emissions is sure to cut down.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Companies are responsible for 71% of carbon emissions - Supposedly

I know 29% is a fair bit - but the likelihood of all of those people changing ANYTHING about their lives is slim to none.

This post has a nice message, but in reality it's not going to do anything. If you actually care go and do something about it, not post on a starwars forum. We all know about the impending threat but none of us have done anything, and a post like this isn't going to change that.

I ADVISE TO NOT CALL ME TOXIC, I MERELY BROUGHT UP AN OPPOSING POINT. It hurts me that i have to make this warning, but i want to let you all know, that just because somebody disagrees and makes discussion does not make them toxic. I agree with @Katelyn mostly.

Edited by Mord
  • Upvote 1

Daym this got toxic real quick, I was not saying that what ScoMo is doing is wrong, I was merely sharing information of what I had found out and wanted to see what the community opinion was. @Katelyn I do not disagree with you, however the 26% decrease in carbon emissions is not near enough. Also I vote for the liberal government more often than not, as I believe that the majority of what they do is right. 

Also in my person OPINION Scot Morrison the man who walked into parliament house with a lump of coal and said this is the future, we need more of these, has suddenly become concerned with the environment. In my OPINION a man who has been pushing for more and more coal and fire plants cannot be trusted with environmental issues. 

To anyone who got butt-hurt or annoyed at what I said that is fine, people are allowed to have opinions. Furthermore, I was not stating that we all had to drop our stuff and go invest billions into climate change, just merely stating a fact that I had learnt. If I convinced anyone to change who they were voting for, don't listen to me, take into consideration of what is right and what you believe. 

Also as @Galle "2 billion people COULD die" I am not saying they will but am just referring to what I heard and am open to other opinions, hell if you convince me the earth is a donut then good on ya for saying what you think, im not a stubborn little bitch that cant take an opposing point, however I don't voice my opinion in a mean, stuck up way.

-Smoke 

Edited by Smoke
  • Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Smoke said:

Daym this got toxic real quick, I was not saying that what ScoMo is doing is wrong, I was merely sharing information of what I had found out and wanted to see what the community opinion was. @Katelyn I do not disagree with you, however the 26% decrease in carbon emissions is not near enough. Also I vote for the liberal government more often than not, as I believe that the majority of what they do is right. 

Also in my person OPINION Scot Morrison the man who walked into parliament house with a lump of coal and said this is the future, we need more of these, has suddenly become concerned with the environment. In my OPINION a man who has been pushing for more and more coal and fire plants cannot be trusted with environmental issues. 

To anyone who got butt-hurt or annoyed at what I said that is fine, people are allowed to have opinions. Furthermore, I was not stating that we all had to drop our stuff and go invest billions into climate change, just merely stating a fact that I had learnt. If I convinced anyone to change who they were voting for, don't listen to me, take into consideration of what is right and what you believe. 

Also as @Galle "2 billion people COULD die" I am not saying they will but am just referring to what I heard and am open to other opinions, hell if you convince me the earth is a donut then good on ya for saying what you think, im not a stubborn little bitch that cant take an opposing point, however I don't voice my opinion in a mean, stuck up way.

-Smoke 

I'm not sure why you are bolding "opinion" I'm the one getting downvoted for having a different one lmao. Don't worry, I'm not downvoting cause you have an opinion. 

Your right, 26% is not enough, but Either way were fucked, businesses won't stop, because all they want is money. Furthermore, no new information will stop them, as this discussion has been going on for years. 

All we can hope for is people to band together and to help eliminate this problem by all producing effective ways to help combat this threat. 

Thanks.

• Like 1