The "nothing to do" issue + Improvements

Hi all,

I'm sure we've all had a time within our day on the server where we think "I've done all I know that I can do, I've got nothing to do now and I'm bored", and this is a fair statement for the most part. There are many things to do around the ship to pass the time such as: Quests, Board/Card games, Patrols, Events, Passive RP and more. But, and I have noticed an increase in it lately, players are still struggling to find things to do in their spare time and are becoming bored and/or frustrated when they can't find something to do.

I just wanted to open up a new discussion to pick the brains of all you fellow members, to brainstorm a bunch of new ideas a few of you might have been tossing up in the back of your heads for opportunities to add new things to do in these times when it may seem like there is nothing.

This is not saying that the things we currently have at our disposal (as mentioned above) are performing below par, but not everything is able to be done by certain members of different regiments, and events aren't always able to satisfy everybody (either due to players not being active during the event, or the event not catering for certain regiments, which is incredibly more difficult than one might think it would be)

Anyway, to kick things off, I have a few things I have been tossing around in the back of my head for a little while now that I think could spice up those seemingly empty times within the server if they are able to be implemented.

- The possibility of adding NPC's to training. Thus making exercises and courses more immersive and able to be treated like real scenarios. Obviously this is restricted due to NPC's adding strain to the server stability and lag at certain numbers (which is why NPC events aren't allowed to be done by EM's unless the player count is under 50). But I think, if monitored by staff, adding NPC's, even if only a handful, to training could greatly increase the amount of training regiments actively want to do, and will spark regiments to even come up with more in depth training courses as a result.

- Having destroyable/respawnable dupes that can be placed by the server/console and accessed at any time without anyone needing to book areas, ask for tools or create dupes themselves. I'm unsure of how possible this idea is, as I am referring to having some sort of area that has a button or console you can press which would then spawn in a training dupe for players to potentially practise or compete against others with, without having the need for staff or tools to utilize.

I have more ideas that I'm currently struggling to put into words, but I will add them when I figure out how to do that :')

If anyone else has any more suggestions or ideas they would like to try and get implemented, by all means put in your two cents in this discussion. Or, if you just have feedback for the ones I've mentioned, feel free to give that also.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I personally like the idea of a re-spawnable/reusable training environment however I'm unsure how easy it will be to get implemented to the server (assuming it is a rather hard concept to bring into fruition.) I rather like RP and think that regiments need to cater more to what they have and what they are to spring some fresh new RP into life rather than remaining within the constraints of what they are currently doing for example, here are some I though of earlier;

JUMP TROOPERS (Navy & Engineers Also) - The Jump Troopers could work with the navy/engineers to make use of their Jetpack and conduct repairs to the external elements of the ship by means of being dropped on top of the ISD via a dropship and being guided by navy or the engineers as to what needs repairs and how to do it (creating RP for 3 regiments at once, that is rather unique/interesting)

224th IAD - Being an IAD unit the 224th Members could co-ordinate with the Tank Trooper(s) to organise a sort of 'workshop' on the tanks where they are taught in RP all the inner workings of a tank and how to repair/manoeuvre/control one. I think this could make things a little more enjoyable and both parties can take something out of it.

Roleplay scenarios are not always given to you on a silver platter, it is up to you to use what you know and what you have to make some RP scenarios happen outside of events. Obviously be realistic, but have fun with it. :) 

- Sully

• Upvote 1

ARC Troopers - As being a part of ARC I've thought about maybe talking to Event Masters on down time to have a Mini Regiment Event at the Bottom of the Map in a small map structure. For instance ARC could be raiding a small rebel compound to secure information or a hostage. Maybe beginning more cooperation with IHC and stepping to a more Black Ops Role taking out targets and raiding people who are against the Empire

• Upvote 2

I've never really found myself in that "nothing to do" area of being on the server. I occupy most of my spare time talking to people who I'd otherwise never have met on Imperial and getting to know some of the newer community members.

2 hours ago, Sully said:

JUMP TROOPERS (Navy & Engineers Also) - The Jump Troopers could work with the navy/engineers to make use of their Jetpack and conduct repairs to the external elements of the ship by means of being dropped on top of the ISD via a dropship and being guided by navy or the engineers as to what needs repairs and how to do it (creating RP for 3 regiments at once, that is rather unique/interesting)

We've been talking about this for quite some time now. Originally, Planz had brought up the idea but never got around to doing it. Would absolutely love to see this happen, just opens up more rp between regiments and could also open the door for a few event ideas.

58 minutes ago, Rivers said:

I've never really found myself in that "nothing to do" area of being on the server. I occupy most of my spare time talking to people who I'd otherwise never have met on Imperial and getting to know some of the newer community members.

Same

1 hour ago, Rivers said:

This is accurate, I either do this or start patrols, or do an Event (can't do that if you're not an EM lol) but yeah, I feel like there are times people "run out of RP", but there's never not anything to do on the Server, from chilling with the homies, to doing quests, there's something to do.

57 minutes ago, Bailey said:

This is accurate, I either do this or start patrols, or do an Event (can't do that if you're not an EM lol) but yeah, I feel like there are times people "run out of RP", but there's never not anything to do on the Server, from chilling with the homies, to doing quests, there's something to do.

Poker with the boys.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Rivers said:

Mostly Same

23 hours ago, Helsing said:

- Having destroyable/respawnable dupes that can be placed by the server/console and accessed at any time without anyone needing to book areas, ask for tools or create dupes themselves. I'm unsure of how possible this idea is, as I am referring to having some sort of area that has a button or console you can press which would then spawn in a training dupe for players to potentially practise or compete against others with, without having the need for staff or tools to utilize.

Wouldn't be hard at all, would just need someone to build the dupe.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Kumo said:

Wouldn't be hard at all, would just need someone to build the dupe.

Would the dupe have to be rather minimalistic in terms of the prop count in order to prevent lag/frame drop when spawned in?

1 hour ago, Sully said:

Would the dupe have to be rather minimalistic in terms of the prop count in order to prevent lag/frame drop when spawned in?

I would assume from my somewhat limited knowledge that you could make them silliest to/the same size as some medium dupes we already have

8 hours ago, Sully said:

I'd assume so