Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Splonter

Deployable Turrets

Oh so when I suggest this in the Content Team, I am shut down pretty quickly, while Splonter here suggests it on the forums and it gains traction almost instantly.

voMzrZYUq9_gW7-cx9mAsFpMI-uabTcEyaUNJUneXYk.gif.4c319eb1fbdb404b8e76609e194797df.gif

+1

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Rad_Cop said:

+1 turrets would be great for engineers so we can do something useful in combat events other then building barricades

YES +1

One issue with this addon on the previous server Splonter mentioned is that it potentially causes bugs/general issues with picking up normal props. 
Just a heads up.

12 minutes ago, [IG] Tackxo said:

One issue with this addon on the previous server Splonter mentioned is that it potentially causes bugs/general issues with picking up normal props. 
Just a heads up.

Through my time of using this addon i'm yet to encounter this bug/issue with the addon.

Although I am aware of it

Edited by Splonter

1 hour ago, Splonter said:

Through my time of using this addon i'm yet to encounter this bug/issue with the addon.

Although I am aware of it

I'm sure if there are bugs the dev team can fix them :)

+1

I've seen this used on other servers before and I could see it benefiting the server particularly during events when defending a base.

I just played around with it on single player. It works fine but for it to be implemented on the server we would have to rework how it allows users to pick it up or we will have ST's running up picking the turret up and possibly placing down one and having a RDM spree. The model is pretty basic and its currently a Clone Wars Era turret from a clone wars era model pack which wouldnt really fit in to the server.

If someone can find a suitable Imperial turret model i might have a go and see what i can do but for the amount of work required vs possible performance drop (just like how the gatling laser lags the server currently) vs potential benefit its not really worth it

PS the turret has to be a base + a turret top.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Ragetank said:

I just played around with it on single player. It works fine but for it to be implemented on the server we would have to rework how it allows users to pick it up or we will have ST's running up picking the turret up and possibly placing down one and having a RDM spree. The model is pretty basic and its currently a Clone Wars Era turret from a clone wars era model pack which wouldnt really fit in to the server.

If someone can find a suitable Imperial turret model i might have a go and see what i can do but for the amount of work required vs possible performance drop (just like how the gatling laser lags the server currently) vs potential benefit its not really worth it

PS the turret has to be a base + a turret top.

You can fix that issue by freezing the base of the turret using a physgun, The turret still works and you can't pick it up until its unfrozen.

Also the turret may be used in the clone wars but doesn't mean it originated from it, It easily still fits in the timeline and era.

As well as with the lag issue from my previous experiences with this on different servers with roughly the same population as IG, It hasn't affected it. It would only affect the server if you have 4+ on at once. If you feel that it would be too risky it can be restricted to EMs for events rather to regiments specifically to use.

Edited by Splonter

2 minutes ago, Splonter said:

You can fix that issue by freezing the base of the turret using a physgun, The turret still works and you can't pick it up until its unfrozen.

Also the turret may be used in the clone wars but doesn't mean it originated from it, It easily still fits in the timeline and era.

Its not physically picking it up if you press e on the base it goes into a weapon in your inventory

On 11/17/2018 at 4:33 PM, Ragetank said:

Its not physically picking it up if you press e on the base it goes into a weapon in your inventory

The one that puts it in your inventory is the 1 time turret spawner tool. Rather if you use the Q menu and go to entities and spawn it though there that is the one that doesn't go in your inventory but let's you pick it up when E is pressed. If we wish to minimise the chance of someone taking a turret we can restrict it to events where it is spawned using Q Menu rather than the weapon.

Edited by Splonter
  • Upvote 1

I'd also like to add that the turrets can be used for many ways as you can create new and unique ideas with it with a special idea I have to have working turrets on ships.

The model for the turret definitley needs work, but I always liked the concept of controllable turrets. Just don't let any minges get a hold of one. Thing looks like it hurts.

I really think this turret would fit the Cinder Tech role and also the heavys of each reg. Even 442nd having this would be pretty cool (although Id wait until Sergeant or something), all together I feel like this turret would fit well into the server and if used effectively would make for a more fun time for the people that get it.

How ever my only concern is the possible lag if a whole reg got it, because having 12 of these things blasting away at enemies would definitely cause some lag at least.

Overall I say +1 to this.

Any update on this yet or is it still under discussion. While I'm here I'll voice my opinion...+1 due to the reasons stated above and the fact that it would be fun using these in battle, I have used these in single player mode and they shoot really fast so that might need some tinkering to slow down a bit but that's all the problems I see so far. Good Luck.

• Like 1

This mad man bumped a post that hasn't had a reply in 6 months.

+1 either way though.

But still, necropost.

• Upvote 1

+1

Would allow me to have my bastion / Torbjörn RP.

Also would be pretty dope to have some engineers on the side of the SD shooting these at ai ships with the help of ISC.

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.