Find results in...

Less Offship?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Answer

• Yes
    • No
    • Less events in general
    • More offship!

OK first of just to clarify. I'm not critiquing the Event team, the work you do is amazing and the effort you put in, for US to have an enjoyable experience is amazing.

So recently, i don't know if i'm imagining things but we are having a lot of off-ship events. I like a good off-ship event, were a lot of effort has been put in and its well planned out, but recently there has been a few i'm not in complete agreeance with. The problem's with going off-ship...

-Loading in (This is a pain in the Ass for G-mod)

-Setting up and waiting for everyone to load in 

-FRAMES (G-mod is just... grrr)

-Joining mid event can cause problems

-Broken spawn points! (This has been a recent theme)

Now i don't want to completely eradicate off-ship events, they are great and worth the hassles when they are done right, but recently i feel like the events we are doing Off-ship just haven't been worth it. My suggestion, keeping in mind this is only a suggestion is that we step back from doing so many events and maybe focus on making more of those Unforgettable events. 

Like i said I LOVE THE EVENT TEAM AND CANNOT THANK THEM ENOUGH. Your work for the most part is amazing this is just a suggestion, from someone who's never run an event, so don't be cut please i'm just providing input.

Anyway, Leave thoughts/further suggestions below

Some people love offship events some don't. I personally don't mind them at times like 2 offship events a day is good but when it gets to 3 or 4 offship events a day it tends to become too much. Also offship events are amazing when only 60 - 80 people are on the server as there is no lag, but when it gets over 100 offship maps can go a big chaos. That's all im saying.

-Rickle.

• Upvote 3

First off, critique the team as much as you can respectfully, or else they can't improve. 

Secondly there have been a few good offships the last couple days. Such as the mountain lake one. Not amazingly large amounts of lag and it was balanced. 

But today's one was horrendous, sorry EM, the chosen map was immensely laggy and the enemies were overpowering. The event also lasted far too long. 

3 minutes ago, Rickle said:

Some people love offship events some don't. I personally don't mind them at times like 2 offship events a day is good but when it gets to 3 or 4 offship events a day it tends to become too much. Also offship events are amazing when only 60 - 80 people are on the server as there is no lag, but when it gets over 100 offship maps can go a big chaos. That's all im saying.

-Rickle.

I agree completely.

3 minutes ago, Eclipse said:

First off, critique the team as much as you can respectfully, or else they can't improve. 

Secondly there have been a few good offships the last couple days. Such as the mountain lake one. Not amazingly large amounts of lag and it was balanced. 

But today's one was horrendous, sorry EM, the chosen map was immensely laggy and the enemies were overpowering. The event also lasted far too long. 

The one today, i believe was ruined by unforeseen circumstances, and as a community we have to accept this, I agree the one just gone was a well optimized map and was quite enjoyable.

A second server for events would be nice would solve a lot of issues. (Just quietly)

My Input,

First off, I would like to agree that the off-ship today (ran by myself with the help of basil) was horrific. A lot of factors come into play and I apologize for everything that happens.

Secondly, We aim to have our big, main event at 8:00pm which can be good and bad at the same time regarding the number of players online at the time which no one can change so its an obstacle the Event Masters must overcome and work around.

Thirdly, All event masters attempt to somewhat allocate roles for certain regiments (such as ARC, SCAR, NAVY, SITH) but everyone has to understand we can't have 120 players all doing separate roles/jobs so we come up with plans on how we can allow one regiment to shine brightly on an event but then the next we let another shine, which may I add is super hard because of the amazing and talented players we have so it doesn't always work to plan.

Fourthly and most important, Community Members should not be constantly pming an event master that their event is bad because trust us, we know it is and it is impossible to try and sort things out whilst having our screens clustered with PMs so please accept that not everything will go to plan and please understand that the Event Staff Team try our hardest to fix issues within our own events.

2 minutes ago, Sudo said:

My Input,

First off, I would like to agree that the off-ship today (ran by myself with the help of basil) was horrific. A lot of factors come into play and I apologize for everything that happens.

Secondly, We aim to have our big, main event at 8:00pm which can be good and bad at the same time regarding the number of players online at the time which no one can change so its an obstacle the Event Masters must overcome and work around.

Thirdly, All event masters attempt to somewhat allocate roles for certain regiments (such as ARC, SCAR, NAVY, SITH) but everyone has to understand we can't have 120 players all doing separate roles/jobs so we come up with plans on how we can allow one regiment to shine brightly on an event but then the next we let another shine, which may I add is super hard because of the amazing and talented players we have so it doesn't always work to plan.

Fourthly and most important, Community Members should not be constantly pming an event master that their event is bad because trust us, we know it is and it is impossible to try and sort things out whilst having our screens clustered with PMs so please accept that not everything will go to plan and please understand that the Event Staff Team try our hardest to fix issues within our own events.

I agree with all of this, but wouldn't majority of these problems be circumnavigated if you were given more planning/preparation time? (genuine question)

49 minutes ago, Splonter said:

A second server for events would be nice would solve a lot of issues. (Just quietly)

Not a bad idea but... the money/work

1 minute ago, Gregis said:

I agree with all of this, but wouldn't majority of these problems be circumnavigated if you were given more planning/preparation time? (genuine question)

Ok, It quite possibly could but several things that can never be changed/fixed;

1) Event Characters - There are so many great community members who openly request to be in events but then you have others who take the time to minge and, ehhh.... alot of blacklists happen

2) Framerate - Yeah, no need to explain

3) Online Players - Earlier today, we went from 60 players to 100 in like 30 minutes... It is unexpectable what happens in such a small time period.

1 hour ago, Sudo said:

Ok, It quite possibly could but several things that can never be changed/fixed;

1) Event Characters - There are so many great community members who openly request to be in events but then you have others who take the time to minge and, ehhh.... alot of blacklists happen

2) Framerate - Yeah, no need to explain

3) Online Players - Earlier today, we went from 60 players to 100 in like 30 minutes... It is unexpectable what happens in such a small time period.

maybe a suggestion for 3), start taking some data on this, I think in a month data you collect, whilst not being completely accurate, will give a nice estimated population for events/times.

7 hours ago, Splonter said:

What this guy said would be a great idea

Offship is fine when its done right, when the majority of the players online have a clear sense of purpose and direction

It's good to remember not all regiments spend events pew pewing stuff with their blasters though.  I understand every reg cannot be feasibly planned for every event, but lately ISB spent a lot of time emulating our white-armoured ST buddies running around with our E11s getting annihilated because there is no other plan in place for us (often ECs are uncapturable, even being TP'd away once captured, as their capture had not been pre-planned and the ECs do not know what to do in the situation)

Offships become tedious when your whole regiment has nothing to actively contribute to the story of the event, and you're effectively just running around the map playing hide-and-seek with blasters, waiting for the event to end.  A bit of creative thinking to engage ISB or Engineers would go down nicely!

9 hours ago, Sudo said:

Thirdly, All event masters attempt to somewhat allocate roles for certain regiments (such as ARC, SCAR, NAVY, SITH) but everyone has to understand we can't have 120 players all doing separate roles/jobs

People who shoot things | people who stab things with lightsabers | people who don't shoot stuff
is a much smaller amount of roles to allocate tasks, and won't screw over the people who don't shoot stuff. If you are making a differentiation between ARC and SCAR for events, you can make a differentiation between military and non-military regiments and give us non-mil something more engaging to do

10 hours ago, Rickle said:

-Rickle.

I agree completely 

Back towards the start of the year, we ran ALOT of onship events because of certain factors *COUGH* (eg) so that we would not lose players because we needed all the players we could get but now we don’t need more players because we are consistently reaching 120+ players, hence why we are now balancing it out and doing more events offship than average.

I don't mind off ships but often they are extremely laggy and the staff not wanting to make it worse don't spawn in vehicles, this is completely reasonable but leaves pilots without anything to do so a few less wouldn't be missed in my opinion.

*Whitey walks up to the podium, as he begins to shuffle his papers in preparation a deafening silence falls over the crowd as they wait for him to speak...*

So first things first I'm a realist...

Events have always been a sore point since the dawn of Imperial Gaming, How should an event be managed? Very few have mastered the technique and lived to tell the tail.

1. You can't plan for every scenario and EMs these days struggle to understand this aspect and panic when it doesn't go their way. Events need to be fluid and adaptable to what unfolds. This issue is being worked on but comes down to the individuals' willingness to learn. EMs, in general, need to work on their storytelling and initial planning to be successful. Honestly a lot of people these days lack creativity due to being in front of a game that tells them what to do... I grew up most of my early life playing with LEGO and barely played games until early Adulthood.

2. a lot of maps are not made for 128 Player servers and the good map makers take time and money to be made... When this comes to event maps that will get used for an hour it isn't really worth investing the finances.

3. Every EM application since the dawn of time has promised events for every regiment... Seen it a couple of times... People lack the 6 P's in life - Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

4. We are working on a new ship that will require 2 pilots to be successfully flown which means fewer vehicles but more people needed to operate.

5. Ship events are repetitive and with the DS map coming, the way events are done on the ship is going to have to change... With the DS and our timeline we can't simply spawn rebels everywhere and go "oh no look Rebels". Instead, we will have training drills, Virus outbreaks, Strikes, Labour Crisis, Material Shortages, etc.

6. I will work with the Event Manager in reducing the off-ship events to 1-2 a day on School Nights and 2 on weekends and balancing what types are done, we are currently going through the maps at the moment changing them up.

7. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE - If you think you can do a better job and have a creative mind that can come up with unique events that aren't all pew pew. Then click on this link - 

- And fill out the application, Don't be a fence sitter screaming treason from the rooftops, get involved and make a change! nothing worse than someone saying they could do a better job but not offering to make the community a better place. Its one of my personal hates to be honest.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5