Forums Suggestion

This isn't a Garry's Mod Suggestion but rather a Forum Suggestion

Currently when replying to a topic on the forums the latest/recent posts are at the bottom or on the next page.

I'm Thinking (and I want you're guys opinion on this) that we should be able to choose whether we want the replies  ordered from {latest to recent} or {recent to latest}
This could be implemented through a little tab menu or switch.

My reasons for this is that a lot of the times on controversial topics or originally bad applications, new viewers will see the negative replies and negative feedback and reply negatively.
They might not see the application posters [updated messages], or people changing their opinion on the post and they just see the negative feedback and it sort of sways their opinion on the topic in a way.

I  would have it set as default to show {Recent to Oldest} so you don't get the problem I mentioned above,  but then have the  option to change it order them {Oldest to Recent} so you can still enjoy looking at the story or timeline of other people responding to each other (Something I like doing on Older Posts or Suggestion Topics).

Anyway that's my Suggestion

Let me know you're opinions and views on whether this would be worth the effort for the Website Developers to add it.

• Thinking 3
  • Upvote 2

I like their being a switch, but the idea of it going from oldest to newest at default makes more sense. For example if you’ve started a discussion in the forums (or an argument because you know how we all are) the natural progression of the conversation/ideas can be followed. If you were to just to jump at the end of a conversation you start to make conclusion/analysations that people have already discussed or came to. 

Although I do like the idea of having a switch, for the longer topics on the forums. Maybe @Martibo what’s more work on his plate? :palpatine:

Good suggestion non the less

~Gregis

Edited by Gregis
7 minutes ago, Emerald said:

I like the idea, But in my own opinion, it would be a bit confusing to go from oldest to newest.

It already is Oldest to Newest
I'm guessing you mean Newest to Oldest

Edited by Planz
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, Emerald said:

I don't really see a problem with the current way it is, Never really had a problem with it.

I like the idea, But in my own opinion, it would be a bit confusing to go from oldest to newest.

I have to agree with Emerald on this, I personally believe it is fine as it is.

Hey Planz, just want to start by saying I appreciate you throwing ideas out into the community.

3 hours ago, Planz said:

My reasons for this is that a lot of the times on controversial topics or originally bad applications, new viewers will see the negative replies and negative feedback and reply negatively.

I think this addition would be beneficial to the forum, simply due to the added convenience. However, I feel like if you were to form an opinion on the application before reading the comments that should solve the problem of holding a bias due to the previous comments. 

I think it would be helpful but not a crucial addition to the forums and like you said, is dependant on how much the Management team have on their plate currently.

45 minutes ago, Cecil said:

I think this addition would be beneficial to the forum, simply due to the added convenience. However, I feel like if you were to form an opinion on the application before reading the comments that should solve the problem of holding a bias due to the previous comments. 

I agree with Cecil here. I'm getting the vibe that you have either experienced this yourself or have seen others experience it, but to input that change with the argument that people can't see how opinions have changed 'First' rather than to let people read and understand the reason or process behind why people went from a negative response to a positive would defeat the whole purpose of it. If people are to really get behind something and give informed opinions on something surely you would want them to have all the information before making the decision. However, if people are just in fact being too lazy to read posts and just make an opinion based on a few responses they saw over a quick sweep of the thread that is their own problem.

I think adding this would be good, it definitely couldn't hurt. But I don't see why it would change much, people will only be reading the positive first and negative last, which I'd personally prefer the positive be the freshest in their minds.

@Helsing Yeah, True

this would only really affect people who aren’t that interested and quickly skim through it,

whereas the people that take the time to read over it themselves would want it to order from old to recent ,as you said, and have the positive feedback at the end.

You’ve opened my eyes to a different perspective of the view

another pluside to adding the switch menu would be for the IG memes topic, so you can just see the recent ones first for example

Also in regards to me seeing it or experiencing it, I have seen replies that are quite negative against the application ie. an issue or something, and then after they make the update and fix the issue/problem people still quote that old issue unintentionally.

Edited by Planz
  • Upvote 1

I was thinking the other day. What if replies to Applications are anonymous. I feel that people would answer more truthfully and not feel they should just +1 someone because they are friends. Just an idea. High ranking staff would be able to see who has said what though.

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, Ramirez said:

I was thinking the other day. What if replies to Applications are anonymous. I feel that people would answer more truthfully and not feel they should just +1 someone because they are friends. Just an idea. High ranking staff would be able to see who has said what though.

I do like the thought of that idea. I know some people are scared to -1 someone because they don’t want to have bad blood with them or make it seem like they don’t like them because they are friends in game, even though they believe they just don’t deserve the thing they are applying for and not just attacking said applicant. But in the same sense, people should know who’s giving them responses because everyone’s responses are valued the same amount. 

Also something would need to be done to stop people making multiple anonymous -1’s or +1’s to try to force an application to go a certain way.

Edited by Helsing
6 minutes ago, Helsing said:

I do like the thought of that idea. I know some people are scared to -1 someone because they don’t want to have bad blood with them or make it seem like they don’t like them because they are friends in game, even though they believe they just don’t deserve the thing they are applying for and not just attacking said applicant. But in the same sense, people should know who’s giving them responses because everyone’s responses are valued the same amount. 

Also something would need to be done to stop people making multiple anonymous -1’s or +1’s to try to force an application to go a certain way.

Maybe give someone the choice to make their comment anonymous? 

Also if admins/moderators can see who made the comments their shouldn't be problems with multiple +or-1's

Just now, Gregis said:

Maybe give someone the choice to make their comment anonymous? 

Also if admins/moderators can see who made the comments their shouldn't be problems with multiple +or-1's

Yeah I was trying to suggest that but was too excited to eat this Shepard’s pie I forgot to actually say that ^_^ 

Yeah no for sure, just saying it gives them the platform to attempt it, just means staff would have to sift through posts constantly

• Advisor

I'm sorry but I would have to completely disagree.

My view is that in life if you are going to say something then you must own it. If you aren't willing to put your name to it and want to hide in the crowd then don't say it at all. 

“Your words become your world.”

8 minutes ago, Whitey said:

I'm sorry but I would have to completely disagree.

My view is that in life if you are going to say something then you must own it. If you aren't willing to put your name to it and want to hide in the crowd then don't say it at all. 

“Your words become your world.”

I have to agree with Whitey here...I've said a lot of shit that I regret but it still has my name to it...I don't think the anonymous thing should be brought in because your words + your name = your opinion

On 9/4/2018 at 2:21 PM, Imposing said:

But It wouldn't hurt to put a switch that allows you to choose even if you like it as is at the moment. :)

Ye hard, just because something works doesn't mean it can't be improved

• Advisor

I'll have a look at this, i will most likely dp what Ridge suggested and make a switch or a option in your account settings to see it 1 way or the other. However no promises if it goes in or not as I will just be looking into it.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

@Wolf yep righto that’s great, Another idea for its location would be to place the switch just above the reply section so you can easily toggle it depending on each post.

Thanks for looking into though :D

Edited by Planz