Interesting but stupid suggestion

Hey guys, back for another suggestion.

Alright so an idea of mine popped up when I was on the server hearing complaints about the induction to the server not being thought out well enough. This sparked thoughts to which I dwelled on for a while, and finally came to the conclusion on what he was going on about. When your new or an old player entering this server not many people know the full extent of the server rules. What was meant by this is that the induction of the server rules in the training room should be elaborated upon with more detail and rules about certain aspects, such as regiment hoping, clearance levels should be more elaborated, in what ways is someone breaking RP without them knowing it etc. All these things and more I've taken into account and have actually experienced myself. So my request is we have a better approach when having new players come onto the server. For example ask them if they have played and if they've hear of certain rules, Commanders should ask some questions to their new trooper about the stuff they do or don't know about the server and particularly regiments, e.g. trial period, regiment hoping, CL and more.

So my suggestion is instead of having an F2 menu have either the commanders/trainers learn the rules of the server and elaborate on certain rules that they may have no knowledge of by asking them questions, to understand benefits and consequences of various things.

Thank you for your time and for reading my suggestion topic.

Kindest Regard Cryo  

There is the links already in there. There is one for clearance levels and all of the rules. If the recruits really cared they can go check them, I’m sure most trainers advise them to do so.

Edited by Ramirez

1. If you really wanted to change something you probably should've seen what happens when someone gets trained. SGTs are SUPPOSED to ask if people have played SWRP before, and if they haven't they'll explain the rules like faces and formations. 

2. Regiment hopping is explained by most commanders when you join a regiment

So basically everything you said is already implemented. 

Edited by Twinkie

Our SGTs are trained to teach people basics of the server rules as well as tell them to look at the link. With that it is mandatory to also give the new player a tour where you mostly explain the CL levels.

There is a fine balance between teaching a recruit everything they need to get started,  leaving them to learn the rest of the specifics from future COs, handbooks, forums etc; and keeping a recruit for over an hour in the training room, and inundating them with an overload of information that will mostly not be immediately relevant to them, and immediately forgotten.

Some people who join (such as myself) will have never played SWRP (or even used GMod before) and will need a bit of hand-holding, but the majority of recruits already know what they are doing, and holding them for excessive amounts of time is counterproductive for us and frustrating for them.  People's brains are like sponges, if you soak them completely all at once, they won't be able to retain anything more.

I appreciate where you are coming from, but inundating a recruit with a laundry list of things to remember above and beyond the server basics seems like it would do more harm than good to me. Vertical loading works best when learning new things!

Edited by Tonberry
  • Upvote 1
  • Whitey locked this topic