I had an idea so I made this

Are these good points?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Are these good points?

• Yes
    • Yes (I didn't read but agree)
    • Yes (I can't read and I agree
    • No (I actually agree, but I'm a hipster and have to say no to not fit in with the mainstream)

Alright, so I said I was going to make this weeks ago, but a busy Uni schedule, making YouTube videos (and not at the same time) and my performing schedule have caused me to spend less time doing other things outside of them.

So basically, here's a whole heap of shit that will probably get the the server back on track.

1. Low the server cap.

The server cap can make or break a server. If you have 128 and only 40-50 people on the server, newer (stupid) people won't want to join as much. If a server has 40-50 people with a 70 player cap, the server seems a lot of enticing to newer (stupid) players. So hurry up and lower it, or I'll beat up ya nan.

2. Lower the regiment offering.

This one is a controversial topic but needs to be brought up. A server with so many people can only support so many regiments, with the server in the state it was in 2 months ago, it was quite easy supporting the 25 regiments that were on the server. But now that's not really possible. Whilst sub regiments are fine, there are a lot of regiments that should die for a while. 31st, TT, Magma, Shore, SC, Shadow and Shore have always been regiments that have struggled to stay afloat. Don't delete them permanently, but keep them off the server until the population goes up at bit.

3. Get rid of the Brigades

This kind of ties in with the last point, there's not enough people to sustain all the regiments comfortably, which means that there's less regiments in the brigades, which means what's the point of them? Everything (including the ISB and Navy groupings) should be reverted to unofficial status/what it was before until shit gets better.

4. Make Rishi the base map instead of the SD

Player perception, like player count, is also important to a server. Whilst the SD is a good map, it feels really empty at a certain amount of players. Rishi on the other hand has points where large amounts of players hang around (C block courtyard/main bunks area) where new players see people and see an accurate representation of the player count on the server. Using this map worked once to build server pop, and it should work again. It also allows for better and more creative events.

5. Cut down the god damn mod list!!!!!@#!@#$!#%@!@!@%@$!@#@!&^#)!($)^!&%(!^%(*^@_%$(!#%^@#&%^@_!(&^$

I have told staff about this ridiculously sized mod list/pack/whatever-the-fuck for ages. 200 and something mods is too much. It causes newer players to wait for eternity to join the server, sometimes fucks up current players's games because Gmod was designed for a max of around 100 mods at a certain size. Find the stuff you never use, or use very rarely, and BURN IT!!!

6. Get a Facebook page and get some advertising going.

As a guy who now does social media consulting, this will take like 3mins to set up, and cost like $3 to get 1400 eyeballs for the server. Iz gud deal. But seriously, a good tool to get eyeballs.

7. Publish a timetable for events

Majority of newer players since the creation of SWRP swing from server to server just for events. Having a timetable with an estimate time for events would help keep these guys around or have 'em show up at a time to boost the player count for an event. It would also decrease the amount of questions regarding when events are happening.

8. Unban everyone.

I bet the title of this point go your eye didn't it? Well, just unban everyone who hasn't been banned in the past 3 months (you know, except Big Smonk and Crispin - those guys can die in a hole). They can always just be perma-banned or banned again if worse comes to worse.

P.S. If the staff have a problem or thought I should have gone to them with a post like this, feel free to take it down.

Edited by Stevo.
Got rid of the jokes
  • Downvote 4
  • Upvote 4

Answers/opinions to your points (or at least some of them) from a staff member's perspective:

31 minutes ago, Stevo. said:

1. Low the server cap.

Not a bad idea and this has actually been discussed.

32 minutes ago, Stevo. said:

2. Lower the regiment offering.

This already happened naturally, without the need for staff intervention. Regiments that have been unpopulated are not being repopulated since the people that cared about them have gone and we as a staff team have seen no need in pushing them to be repopulated.

3. Get rid of the Brigades

I agree with this. I never personally understood the need for Brigades in the first place and from what I saw it was never fully and/or effectively implemented.

4. Make Rishi the base map instead of the SD

Not a bad idea, especially since the map can sustain the players more easily since there are less of them.

34 minutes ago, Stevo. said:

5. Cut down the god damn mod list!!!!!@#!@#$!#%@!@!@%@$!@#@!&^#)!($)^!&%(!^%(*^@_%$(!#%^@#&%^@_!(&^$

@Wolf, @Whitey and I are doing exactly this with the implementation of the new Content Committee. We are analysing our current content pack and are planning to remove the unneeded or replaceable addons very soon actually. We are also looking at adding new content to the pack while keeping it smaller than it currently is. Essentially, we are actively rebalancing and updating the content pack.

35 minutes ago, Stevo. said:

6. Get a Facebook page and get some advertising going.

Some more advertising would be nice but I do not personally think Facebook is the way to go, especially with the issue of personal security. Particularly in the case of roleplaying games, some, if not most people would prefer to keep their real identity a secret since they have such an established online persona already. We have already had several cases of doxxing already, this is a prime agitator of that and honestly a disaster waiting to happen.

7. Publish a timetable for events

I will let an Event Master answer this one.

8. Unban everyone.

No.

I forgot to respond to the event timetable. I have attached a copy of the fortnightly event schedule layout below but I can't link the actual one without @Welshy's permission. Just know that these are the time's events are usually run.

Green times are non-essential times and events are only run here when an event master is on and wants to do them, but are not a guarantee.

Black times are standard times and an event will usually be run in this time slot as this is usually when players are beginning to get on or off the server.

Red times are essential times and events will almost always be run as these are the prime times when players are on the server.

5ac89ac331513_EMSpreadsheet.thumb.PNG.a4040617bd85076beebb3aa6c47d5173.PNG

• Downvote 3
2 hours ago, Chef said:

This already happened naturally, without the need for staff intervention. Regiments that have been unpopulated are not being repopulated since the people that cared about them have gone and we as a staff team have seen no need in pushing them to be repopulated.

I think there are still regiments that should be made unavailable, as they already do what other regiments do, and some of them still struggle to remain on the server. As I said, there was 25 regiments, but still there's like 15-17 still around - 2-4 of which probably shouldn't be around.

2 hours ago, Chef said:

Some more advertising would be nice but I do not personally think Facebook is the way to go, especially with the issue of personal security. Particularly in the case of roleplaying games, some, if not most people would prefer to keep their real identity a secret since they have such an established online persona already. We have already had several cases of doxxing already, this is a prime agitator of that and honestly a disaster waiting to happen.

I mean, we could use Twitter instead or some other millennial bloody website. Was just kind of using it as an example and stuff like YouTube is a little hard to build up.

2 hours ago, pinejack said:

I forgot to respond to the event timetable. I have attached a copy of the fortnightly event schedule layout below but I can't link the actual one without @Welshy's permission. Just know that these are the time's events are usually run.

Green times are non-essential times and events are only run here when an event master is on and wants to do them, but are not a guarantee.

Black times are standard times and an event will usually be run in this time slot as this is usually when players are beginning to get on or off the server.

Red times are essential times and events will almost always be run as these are the prime times when players are on the server.

5ac89ac331513_EMSpreadsheet.thumb.PNG.a4040617bd85076beebb3aa6c47d5173.PNG

I was talking about a more in game timetable, similar to the rules and recruit room stuff, that people can look at. Having a link on a wall wouldn't do much for a newer player, they usually can't be fucked typing it in.

Edited by Stevo.
Got rid of the jokes
  • Thinking 1
12 minutes ago, Stevo. said:

I was talking about a more in game timetable, similar to the rules and recruit room stuff, that people can look at. Having a link on a wall wouldn't do much for a newer player, they usually can't be fucked typing it in.

The Event Schedule is currently being reworked by staff/EM's to be used on a different platform, to be more efficient in every possible way.

Due to events being set throughout the whole day and that the schedule we are currently using are more of guidelines of when to run one than specific times. Until it has been reworked , in my opinion I see no need for this. I do appreciate your suggestion and your others look good. keep it up!

P.S. I am open to you informing me how to input this timetable to the Recruit room. Message me when you get a chance.

-Welshy

• Advisor

1. Already has been discussed.

2. Already being discussed and worked on as per Wolfs Server Log

3. It was something being implemented but never grasped properly. It is already being discussed about being removed within the next week.

4. The map has also worked the opposite way before and killed the servers population by about 50 people. That's why the switches are usually balanced. Also people with Potatoes can barely operate on Rishi.

5. Easier said then done. A lot of severs have large content. We are already working on changing the Mods to give the server a fresh feel whilst also trying to reduce balance the content. This takes time like many things we are doing, sadly a resource we lack.

6. Social Media advertising is not something that is targeted for what we are trying to achieve.

7. This is already being worked on.

8. Easier said then done. There are people on that list that are their for a very good reason including Hacking, Doxing, Sexual Harassment, etc. This is a community and its paramount to Wolf & myself that people feel safe from that.

• Whitey locked this topic
  • Whitey unlocked and locked this topic